News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Brake rotor question

Started by markl350, April 06, 2020, 08:58:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markl350

I need to replace the rotors on my 70 GT500. I have a pair of 69 Mustang rotors that measure very close to the originals except for the drop from the rotor face to the back of the wheel mounting face.... see pictures.  It is a difference of about 1/8". Are they acceptable to use or am I missing something else? I can't seem to find any original style replacements, would anyone suggest a supplier? I have searched high and low without success.
Thanks for the help.

69 GT350 Vert

The size of the bearings are most important measurement.  You need to determine if you have large or small suspension on your shelby.  I believe if your spindles are C8 engineering Numbers, you have small suspension and need smaller diameter bearings.

markl350

Thanks, I have the large bearing spindle. All my measurements look like the large bearing races would
fit. Maybe I'm overlooking something?

pbf777

The measurement you present is not of a critical concern, but do compare the distance from the back side rotor face to the front side wheel mounting surface, overall rotor diameter and of course as mentioned bearing cup/race sizing.         :)

Scott.

markl350

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out. I would still rather buy correct replacements, would anyone recommend a source? I've tried all the usual places I can think of and they don't even list them.
Thanks, Mark

Special Ed

If u have your original rotors yet u can press them apart from the unique hub and simply replace the outer rotor then use over since the rotor wears out not the bearing hubs.

markl350

Thanks but I can't find just the rotor for sale either. Do you know of a source you would be willing to share?
Thanks, Mark

bobboss351

Agreed with the Special ED ,,,,,,,,,,,
  CHOCKO STANG,  seller on ebay has a close,, not prefect replacement rotor for a 2 piece hub, the edge of the flange at the hub on the new replacement is sharp angle,  not rounded ,,, that is what i found on them , i have used them several times,    i think that would be the better option,, than the one piece  you have currently,,
it is very tough to find original rotors that have a fair amount of thickness to be able to press the hub and turn the rotor,,,

CHOCKO STANG,  Dan and Carol, 217 882 2083,,,,, chockostang@msn.com,,,   they were 200.00 for the pair plus shipping, Bob
RJ RESTORATIONS
Robert Wilson
701 FIRST ST
SUITE B
FARMINGTON ,MN
bobboss351@gmail.com

Bob Gaines

Quote from: bobboss351 on April 06, 2020, 03:22:55 PM
Agreed with the Special ED ,,,,,,,,,,,
  CHOCKO STANG,  seller on ebay has a close,, not prefect replacement rotor for a 2 piece hub, the edge of the flange at the hub on the new replacement is sharp angle,  not rounded ,,, that is what i found on them , i have used them several times,    i think that would be the better option,, than the one piece  you have currently,,
it is very tough to find original rotors that have a fair amount of thickness to be able to press the hub and turn the rotor,,,

CHOCKO STANG,  Dan and Carol, 217 882 2083,,,,, chockostang@msn.com,,,   they were 200.00 for the pair plus shipping, Bob
Just called and he is out of stock with no prospect of getting them back in stock. That was a deal for rotor hat only. the two piece rotor and hub assembly that Branda and NPD sold were 500.00 for a pair . Those have been out for about 6 months now with no prospect of getting more ether.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

bobboss351

Bob,,, I think he [Chocko] had a limited source for them, i ask for additional 2 sets  back about 4 months ago to have on the shelf just for this issue and he did not call me that he had them,,,,   I tryed to get  out his source from him, there was no indicators who the supplier was,,,, so,    Thanks for calling him,, Bob
RJ RESTORATIONS
Robert Wilson
701 FIRST ST
SUITE B
FARMINGTON ,MN
bobboss351@gmail.com

Bob Gaines

Quote from: bobboss351 on April 06, 2020, 04:52:54 PM

Bob,,, I think he [Chocko] had a limited source for them, i ask for additional 2 sets  back about 4 months ago to have on the shelf just for this issue and he did not call me that he had them,,,,   I tryed to get  out his source from him, there was no indicators who the supplier was,,,, so,    Thanks for calling him,, Bob
I was going to do the same thing . I guess great minds think alike LOL.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

markl350

Well, this is not the news I was hoping for! That is what I get for procrastinating. Thank you for all the information.
Mark

Bob Gaines

Quote from: markl350 on April 06, 2020, 05:51:07 PM
Well, this is not the news I was hoping for! That is what I get for procrastinating. Thank you for all the information.
Mark
Unfortunately there are many of use that succumb to the same thing. My advice is that if you know you are going to need for your car at some point then you better get it while you can . Just because it has been reproduced doesn't mean it will be available indefinitely. Supplies and interest (purchases) effect dealers and MFG enthusiasm  . There are a number of items out there now that may not be re run once supplies are gone. Many of us have offered the advice to buy the Boss/Shelby rotors over the past couple years . Those new to the game missed the warnings . Tony Branda RIP said it took him 12 years to go through his supply/minimum rotor order that he commissioned back when and that was after selling off half to NPD early on. He made the decision not to reorder given the huge outlay of capital that was tied up for many years. He was not getting rich on the nominal mark up. I know the ram air seals for GT350 are gone now and there are other things . Some things will come back and others will not . Just a FYI for my fellow 69/70 Shelby lovers.   

Special Ed

U can find original rotors from any 68-73 mustang cougar torino Fairlane etc cars and press off the rotor from hub as long as its oem 2 piece type sets.