News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

French 1966 Carroll Shelby Interview

Started by s2ms, April 06, 2020, 12:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s2ms

Anyone seen this before? Posted by Wedgeman on FB but I couldn't find it here. Some of the footage is familiar but I haven't seen the 66 GT350 production part before. Possibly Hertz cars, probably staged, but interesting.

Link and a few stills...

https://www.ina.fr/index.php/contenus-editoriaux/articles-editoriaux/1966-caroll-shelby-de-pilote-de-course-a-ingenieur-automobile

Dave
Dave - 6S1757

silverton_ford

Thank you for posting!  I saw in on FB too, but couldn't find a link.   Thank you.  A lot of footage I have never seen.

chris NOS

propayne

Fantastic stuff!

Nice footage of the J Car at Le Mans.

Thanks!

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Coralsnake

69mach351w

I like the road course track footage and in-car-camera locations....Awesome!!

Don Johnston

Is there a version with English captions?   

Interesting how the cars sound in French on the track just like an English version.  No accent. ::)

Coralsnake

Is it one hanger for race cars and one for production cars?

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

s2ms

Any thoughts on whether this is a staged video or a film of actual 66 GT350 production?

If not staged it would suggest the intakes and oil pans still being installed a SAI at that time...
Dave - 6S1757

6s2020

At the 41 second mark of the film where Carroll pulls up to a Black with White side stripe, 10 spoke 66 GT350, that car could be 6S2020 or 6S1750 as they were Shelby Company cars.

In the still shot of OP it does not look Black, but appears to be Black in the film.

Just Cool to think that it could be. 8)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: s2ms on April 06, 2020, 10:02:09 PM
Any thoughts on whether this is a staged video or a film of actual 66 GT350 production?

If not staged it would suggest the intakes and oil pans still being installed a SAI at that time...
I thought about that too but according to Chuck Cantwell not the case. I think it may have been staged . A possible explanation is wanting to emphasis the extra power by showing how they were adding HP items. The chrome valve covers doesn't help the possible explanation however.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SFM6S087

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 07, 2020, 12:22:00 AM
Quote from: s2ms on April 06, 2020, 10:02:09 PM

I thought about that too but according to Chuck Cantwell not the case. I think it may have been staged . A possible explanation is wanting to emphasis the extra power by showing how they were adding HP items. The chrome valve covers doesn't help the possible explanation however.

I have an 8 page file of research on that topic. Chuck Cantwell indicated in his book that Shelby American installed the Shelby engine components at least through the end of 1966 production. And he has confirmed that privately. (I'm not going to quote Chuck's private communications in this public setting, but in an email back in January 2019 he was specifically asked about this. He was VERY clear and VERY emphatic in his reply that S.A. installed those engine components – not Ford.) This is backed up by Bruce Junor and some of the line workers who actually did the work, and confirmed by Howard Pardee through his examination of some factory documents that only he has access to. Plus, the known DSO's, the engine tags (what few survived) and the engine decals would also seem to confirm this.

Add this video to all of that and I think the conclusion is clear. Shelby American installed the Shelby engine components at least through the end of 1966 production.

The best I can tell, S.A. made "plans" to have Ford install the Shelby engine components. Bob has in "Intra-Company Communication" that mentions that. And it appears that they did actually try that out, as evidenced by the few late 65 and early 66 cars with original black painted intakes. But that trial must have proven unsatisfactory and the job stayed with Shelby American; per all the above evidence.

For me, with the evidence I'm aware of, that's conclusive. But I'm open to any new evidence or corrected interpretation of what we already have.

Steve

chris NOS

always learning new things as new material is coming in the light !!!