Author Topic: Tachometer  (Read 3140 times)

In The Doghouse

• View Profile
Tachometer
« on: March 07, 2018, 04:28:11 PM »
Was tachometer placement pretty consistent among all 1966 cars?  Was there a template they used to drill the holes, or did someone just drill where they thought the tach should go?  It would be nice if several people could provide measurements of the distance from the left edge of the speaker grille to each of the tach screws, and the distance from the front edge of the speaker grille to each of the tach screws.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: Tachometer
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 04:35:57 PM »
Was tachometer placement pretty consistent among all 1966 cars?

Was there a template they used to drill the holes, or did someone just drill where they thought the tach should go?[/quote]

Its possible but don't think anyone has a ever found and talked to the guy that did that task. IF there was a template they might have only used it initially then after enough cars he could likely locate the holes in just about the exact same spot every time

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

In The Doghouse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 04:46:30 PM »
I removed the tach and dash pad on my car, and there are only the one set of screw holes drilled, which I assume are the originals.  The back of my tach hits against the windshield, but I don't want to bend the bracket.  Does anyone else have this problem?

6S1568

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 05:34:19 PM »
Nooboob, The Tachometer on 6S1568 nearly touches the inside of the windshield glass. It's so close to the glass that you might think its resting against the glass, but you can slide an envelope between the top of the tach and the glass, it's that close. The tach sits firmly on the dash pad and does not even vibrate enough to rattle off the glass when in motion. I don't know if there was a stencil or how they determined where to drill the pilot holes, but the technicians at S.A. have it placed perfectly. If I were you, I'd tweak the base just enough to keep it from rubbing while using the original holes for your screws. Good luck. Denny

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 05:45:38 PM »
Or buy an OG dash and re-set.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 06:16:06 PM »
I removed the tach and dash pad on my car, and there are only the one set of screw holes drilled, which I assume are the originals.  The back of my tach hits against the windshield, but I don't want to bend the bracket.  Does anyone else have this problem?

Mine is close but you could pass a price of thin cardboard behind it, only one set of holes but decent size holes and no spacers 

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 07:46:17 PM by GT350Lad »
6S373
6S1276

Doug C

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 08:15:13 PM »
Can someone post a photo of the "screws" that hold that bracket on the dash?  Thanks

In The Doghouse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 08:40:37 PM »
Can someone post a photo of the "screws" that hold that bracket on the dash?  Thanks

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=955.0

Doug C

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 12:08:24 AM »

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=955.0

Thanks and that's what mine look like

SFM6S1348

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 07:39:52 AM »
6S1348 tach is about 3/4 inch from the windshield at the top back edge.
Looks like it is set forward slightly more than some.
I have never had it out the car. Original dash pad and tach to my knowledge...

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 03:18:13 PM by SFM6S1348 »
...found 6S1348 after a full year of searching. It was in a garage I passed every day on the way to work. I looked at cars in front yards, back yards, storage garages, in fields, and under trees. I found a 65 that had hit a tree and was bent all the way to the back...