News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Rear bumper guards painted or chrome?

Started by proford1, April 06, 2020, 02:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

proford1

i have my old valance and they are painted i see some photos where they are chrome? which is correct? thanks in advance Mike

Bob Gaines

Quote from: proford1 on April 06, 2020, 02:49:56 PM
i have my old valance and they are painted i see some photos where they are chrome? which is correct? thanks in advance Mike
From the assemblyine on cars to be turned into Shelby's they were painted.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

proford1

thanks looks like i will just bead blast these and repaint!

Mike

Coralsnake

You want to go nuts?

Little rubber cone was also painted, nuts for rubber pad are gold dichromate and unuts are phosphated. Other attaching screws and bolts are gold dichromated.

TLea

Quote from: Coralsnake on April 06, 2020, 03:33:39 PM
You want to go nuts?

Little rubber cone was also painted, nuts for rubber pad are gold dichromate and unuts are phosphated. Other attaching screws and bolts are gold dichromated.
They were also red primed before painting so back side should show significant amount of that

Coralsnake

Yes and those little bumpers are available

shelbymann1970

You want to go nuts?

So to be clear the phillips screws that hold the bottom of the bumper guard are gold? Or are they phosphated? A pair I have appeared to be phosphated before media blasting(hidden areas as they had never been off since new it appears). Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

KR500

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on October 26, 2021, 11:33:01 AM
You want to go nuts?

So to be clear the phillips screws that hold the bottom of the bumper guard are gold? Or are they phosphated? A pair I have appeared to be phosphated before media blasting(hidden areas as they had never been off since new it appears). Gary
Gold
Rodney
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

shelbymann1970

Quote from: KR500 on October 26, 2021, 03:52:57 PM
Quote from: shelbymann1970 on October 26, 2021, 11:33:01 AM
You want to go nuts?

Gold
Rodney
Thanks. I got a complete set I took off of an original paint valance. The back brackets were rusty. I pulled the rubber gaskets off of the clips and it was "silver" underneath so I'm thinking the rubber gasket was mounted to the c-clip then phosphated. So what finish should the backside brackets be? Taking the rubber trim nuts off revealed gold as per prior comments. but what about the studs on the rubber trim that the "gold" nuts crew on?  These are just spares I have that I'm restoring  and will be doing the same to my friends 68 GT350 vert in the near future. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)