Author Topic: Cleaning white interior  (Read 3946 times)

alexgt350h

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Cleaning white interior
« on: April 07, 2020, 06:32:23 PM »
Finally got my late father-in-laws 69 out of 20 year storage, and am starting to get it cleaned up.
The white interior has a mildew smell to it, with some evidence on seats, steering wheel, and other plastic parts.
What's best to use to clean it?
Brent

markl350

• View Profile
Re: Cleaning white interior
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 06:50:44 PM »
I purchased a steam cleaner on Amazon and it does a great job deep cleaning.

Mark

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 09:51:49 PM »
Mr Clean Magic Erasers.. ( Sponges)

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 09:56:26 PM »

While the video doesn't directly address vinyl, the process is the same. Always use the least aggressive means to clean, this video shows three options. Good luck !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bd_IqK5ydU

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 10:09:38 PM »
That's why I suggested Mr Clean sponges. They are non-aggressive and the moisture is easily controlled. They work great for smudges and smears. My white door panels seem to get the brunt of the mess or the passenger seat because of coffee drips.
Try them, you'll love using them.

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 10:54:18 PM »
Last white interior I cleaned with boat seat cleaner.

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 10:57:16 PM »
The reason I suggested staying away from those kinds of cleaners is that it winds up staining the stitching.

CSX 3183

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 11:03:39 PM »
You allow people with coffee cups in your car!

That's why I suggested Mr Clean sponges. They are non-aggressive and the moisture is easily controlled. They work great for smudges and smears. My white door panels seem to get the brunt of the mess or the passenger seat because of coffee drips.
Member of SAAC since 1977

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 11:06:58 PM »
You allow people with coffee cups in your car!

I am a coffee fiend. No cup holder in my 67 500. I shift and drive with a cup quit often. No female to hold it for me currently. I can only yell at myself if it drips on the white seats.  >:(

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 11:14:10 PM »
Mr Clean Magic Erasers.. ( Sponges)

100% agree. Buy one and try it in an inconspicuous area if your not sure. You’ll be a believer if you do.
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 05:39:43 AM »
The original MrClean sponges work great, for the really aggressive, age baked stains, I suggest a combination of Simple Green/water at a 30/70 solution with a cloth baby diaper. Diaper should be lightly damp, not soaked. Be patient, work each item, do not clean in the direct sunlight, cool shaded area above 60 degrees will be your friend. When you come to the door panels, be extra gentle, do not put a lot of weight behind your cleaning, or you may crack your arm rests, if they are not already cracked.

Bill S.
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

KDunne

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 12:06:46 PM »
I've had a great luck with a product called Spray Nine.  It is produced in a Marine formula and non Marine formulas.  I've used both

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 12:10:56 PM »
I've had a great luck with a product called Spray Nine.  It is produced in a Marine formula and non Marine formulas.  I've used both
curious what is the difference between marine and non marine formula? I haven't come across a product labeled that way but I am not into boats like I am cars.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2020, 02:04:06 PM »
curious what is the difference between marine and non marine formula? I haven't come across a product labeled that way but I am not into boats like I am cars.

The marine version has some additional (slightly more aggressive) additives to deal with aquatic byproducts. While in the northeast, I used both versions quite frequently.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

ITHERTZ

• View Profile
    • Custom Show Boards
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2020, 02:22:01 PM »
+3 on Magic Erasers.