News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

WTB - 1967 GT 350 Driver Side Axle Shaft (28 spline)

Started by DGSOH, April 08, 2020, 11:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGSOH

Just discovered I have a bent driver side axle shaft, looking for a replacement in good to excellent condition - asap. I'm sure someone has one laying around?

Thanks -

DGSOH

Bob Gaines

Quote from: DGSOH on April 08, 2020, 11:52:12 AM
Just discovered I have a bent driver side axle shaft, looking for a replacement in good to excellent condition - asap. I'm sure someone has one laying around?

Thanks -

DGSOH
I hope you find just the one but if buying most people will only want to sell in sets/pr . The good news is that it is not GT350 specific and 100's of thousands of Mustangs used the same 28 spline from 67-70 . If you want to get back on the road don't mess round trying to source just the one. Great if you can but odds are less likely. Because they are so plentiful the price is relative nominal. West coast Cougar is the first source that comes to mind.FYI 67-70 Cougar is the same.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

acman63

SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

DGSOH

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 08, 2020, 12:07:44 PM
I hope you find just the one but if buying most people will only want to sell in sets/pr . The good news is that it is not GT350 specific and 100's of thousands of Mustangs used the same 28 spline from 67-70 . If you want to get back on the road don't mess round trying to source just the one. Great if you can but odds are less likely. Because they are so plentiful the price is relative nominal. West coast Cougar is the first source that comes to mind.FYI 67-70 Cougar is the same.

Thanks Bob, good advice. I agree with everything you said. Thought I'd start with looking for just the one in case I get lucky : ) I'm prepared for having to buy a set if I have to but hoping someone's found themselves in the same spot.

Any thoughts on messing around trying to having the bent one straightened? I've read plenty of posts on both sides of the issue.

Thanks!

Krelboyne

Very early 1967 axles were tapered. You do not want one of those.
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

gt350hr

Also '66-69 Fairlane /Torino/Montego , '66-69 Falcon (V8) , '67-70 Cougar , all the same length.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

DGSOH

Quote from: Krelboyne on April 08, 2020, 03:21:04 PM

Of course I have a very early '67 :)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: DGSOH on April 08, 2020, 03:49:47 PM
Quote from: Krelboyne on April 08, 2020, 03:21:04 PM

Of course I have a very early '67 :)
If you get one that isn't tapered and install it you will be the only one that knows. ;) . Unless you have everything else genuine original not repro on your car that are highly visible like tires ,belts, battery, hose etc. then you are not compromising your car with a non visible part IMHO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

The driver's side ( short one) is the critical axle. Yes axles "can" be straightened if all else fails, I have had it done here in So Cal.
   "I" have never seen the early tapered axle in a GT350. Remember the drum to drum axle assembly was not "regular production Mustang". The C7ZX tag on the differential indicated "special components" AKA  "DSO".
    With Bob owning #1 he could easily correct me on the tapered axle situation.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.