News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Steering Wheel Box

Started by Steve G, April 08, 2020, 06:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve G

Hello:

I sent my 1968 GT 350 in to the shop for excess play in the steering.  They say it needs a new steering box but are unsure if it is a 16:1 or 20:1 ratio.  It is obviously the original on my 115K car. Both boxes are available.  Does anyone know which is the correct box for the car?  Thanks.

Steve
Steve G
1968 GT-350
(#3117)

Corey Bowcutt

TLea

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Steve G on April 08, 2020, 06:05:28 PM
Hello:

I sent my 1968 GT 350 in to the shop for excess play in the steering.  They say it needs a new steering box but are unsure if it is a 16:1 or 20:1 ratio.  It is obviously the original on my 115K car. Both boxes are available.  Does anyone know which is the correct box for the car?  Thanks.

Steve
Most shops are not aware that the boxs can be rebuilt.Most shops don't know where to send them if they do know. I would send the original box to your high value car to Shelby Parts and Restoration (  https://shelbypartsstore.com/ )for a steering box rebuild before I gave up on it . It will come back looking and working like new. The value of your car is better maintained by keep original parts on the car typically. Don't let someone talk you into getting another used box or one of the Flaming River steering box's unless you want to be disappointed.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Steve G

Wow!  That was quick.  Thank you all.  I'll pass on that info right now.
Steve G
1968 GT-350
(#3117)

Bob Gaines

After over 50 plus years almost every used box out there that hasn't been rebuilt yet could stand to be rebuilt now.  I would suggest to resist the temptation to substitute another box that is available unless there is NO OTHER ALTERNATIVE. I would also remind you that most Shops including some Mustang specialty shops will not have your best interest at heart. They instead want you to get something fast so that they can move you out of their way and get paid. It certainly is a valid concern for the business but not necessarily for you the owner. Just my 2 cents being involved with this community for 40 plus years.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

They can be adjusted to take the play out top screw and nut.

Coralsnake

Whatever your decision keep the original box.

cbrown

I agree with all of you all you never want to much play in your BOX!! 
Sorry couldn't resist...
Chris

CharlesTurner

+1 on rebuilding, I've done several over the years.  As long as there isn't excessive wear on the sector shaft, they can be brought back up to factory specs.

I would warn about adjusting the top stud, there are very specific pre-load torque settings that should be followed to adjust the box correctly.  The torque settings are measured in inch-lbs, so it's very easy to improperly adjust the stud 'by feel'.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

KR500

Do not be afraid to adjust the sector shaft adjustment, it is simple. There is only 2 adjustments on this type of steering box, worm bearing preload and the sector shaft adjustment. The Ford service manual give the procedures to do this starting with the worm bearing preload using an inch pound torque wrench and finishing with the sector shaft adjustment. I find most of the time most of the wear is in the sector shaft and a lot of "loose" steering feel can be corrected by just adjusting the sector shaft as the worm bearing preload doesn't effect the side to side play in the steering like the sector shaft does. Plus the worm preload is a lot more time consuming adjustment. I have adjusted hundreds of these types of steering boxes just doing the sector shaft adjustment. What works very well for me, wheels set dead straight, loosen the sector shaft jamb nut holding the jack screw, tighten the jack screw lightly until just snug, back off the jack screw 1/4 to 1/2 turn ( I like 3/8 turn), hold the jack screw and tighten the jamb nut making sure the jack screw does not turn. Drive the car make sure there is not tight spots just off center of steering, if there is you got it to tight. This adjustment is quick and easy. Do make sure your steering gear has the proper fill of grease also.
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

The Going Thing

Yes, be afraid to adjust the sector. If you cause it to bind you're not going to have a good day. 
If you need to have it rebuilt I'd suggest Roger Rode at Rode's restoration in Gallion, OH.
He does great work, is reasonable and has been doing it since 1977. He did the box on my 67 500.
It's a 16:1 gear as well.
Phone:   (419) 468-5182

Steve G

Again, thank you all for the wise counsel.  My shop spoke with shelbypartsstore in WI and the box from my car (#3117) will be enroute in the next day or so.

SG
Steve G
1968 GT-350
(#3117)

Coralsnake

I think Jim rewelds the shaft and re-machines them to restore original size

That's a sweet gold convertible you have!

Steve G

Thanks, @Coralsnake.  That's quite a compliment coming from an expert like you.  I recall we communicated when I got it about a year ago.  Happy to say it's been a real joy - no surprises - and just working now on making it even better.
Steve G
1968 GT-350
(#3117)