News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Ford Asks For Help Identifying This Mid-Engine Ford Mustang

Started by KerryBWhite, April 09, 2020, 09:00:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

"Fly on the wall" might be the right train of thought?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

roddster

Motor Trend, December of 1969.  It's on the cover.

shelbydoug

Yep. Something is stirring over at Ford?

Are they going to resurrect it? Maybe they are going to do a post mortem in relation to reviewing clamor for the C8?

There are "executive aids" that have the responsibility of listening to what the "people" are saying.

Expressions of displeasure with Ford are leaking to the top at Ford maybe?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbydoug

Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on April 15, 2020, 09:45:23 AM
So glad they read my memo to them

Quote from: KerryBWhite on April 15, 2020, 08:43:44 AM
just posted today

https://fordauthority.com/2020/04/ford-has-figured-out-what-that-mid-engine-mustang-actually-was/

They have never officially acknowledged anything in the past. It's just standard procedure on  their part probably for self preservation?

The Exec's want to go to friendly crowd gathering, not a lynching?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

roddster

Maybe it got built behind a wall somewhere in Detroit.

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbydoug

Quote from: JD on April 15, 2020, 01:09:27 PM
They'll re-introduce it with a battery pack...

Power train flexibility doesn't hurt but something simple like battery placement in the chassis was never looked at initially.

What I suspect was stumbled upon here though is re-examining the work already done on a mid-engine layout?

Ford already looked at using mostly Mustang components and they could jump a few steps here on catching up to the C8?

I'd be watching for some mid-engined Mustangs running around Dearborn soon?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Side-Oilers

IMO, this is a Ford PR stunt.  "Hey, look at us, we had a mid-engined Mustang designed over 50 years ago!"  C8 who? 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Don Johnston

Developing a new Ford "crossover"?  Something between an affordable Mustang and the insanely expensive but exotic mid-engine Ford GT maybe as a C8 priced competitor that can be produced in bulk?  8)

shelbydoug

Quote from: Don Johnston on April 15, 2020, 04:07:26 PM
Developing a new Ford "crossover"?  Something between an affordable Mustang and the insanely expensive but exotic mid-engine Ford GT maybe as a C8 priced competitor that can be produced in bulk?  8)

I'll listen but Ford hasn't implied or suggested anything. Even so, the C8 is still cheaper then a Shelby is. If they do something, it's the better side of proving they can build something. Here, they'd need to be price competitive.

A battle like that between GM and Ford would benefit us all.

I've just got my suspicions that's all? Was that Mach ever sent to Europe for evaluation and never came back. Why not hide it over there?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Don Johnston

Maybe something for the phased out GT350 crew to work on for another new series.  But will it be the Mach 2 to go with the Mach E and Bullit inspired Mach I soon to be released? 8)

Bill Collins

Some of you may be aware of the home movie shot by Kar Kraft employee Larry Lawrence titled "A tour of Kar Kraft in 1969". It is featured on the Mac's Motor City web site with a link to the actual film on You Tube. You can find it here:
https://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/video-a-tour-of-kar-kraft-in-1969/

Various new Ford performance cars of the era are featured among GT40's and a Trans Am Mustang. Many are identified in the accompanying article. The Mach 2 makes an appearance at 2:28.

Even more interesting is a '69 Sportsroof referred to as the LIDS Mustang, which appears at 4:06. When rear sports slats are lifted at 4:45, the rear backlite is absent and a Boss 429 engine is seen in the rear seat area. Subsequent footage shows the front hood raised to display an empty engine compartment. The Macs site mentions that they featured this car a few weeks earlier than the June 4, 2015 date of this installment, but I could not find anything in their archive. So I wonder what became of this mid engine Mustang?

The video closes with a tour of the Boss 429 assembly line, complete with underneath views of the cars shot from the line pit beneath. Engines awaiting installation are shown on stands - Restorers take note!

This is an altogether quite interesting video, which suffers only from poor visual quality, likely due to the media it was originally shot on. But regardless - Enjoy!
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

Don Johnston

Just a thought.  If Ford is really looking for research assistance that requires the knowledge and time of SAAC members, how about Ford assisting with some sponsorship funds for a SAAC convention or two as an incentive. 8)