Author Topic: side scoops  (Read 3373 times)

cushmancomp

• View Profile
side scoops
« on: April 09, 2020, 12:21:22 PM »
Do these 2 look original?   theres no numbers on them but I know they are very old.

cushmancomp

• View Profile
Re: side scoops
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 12:22:12 PM »
more pics

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 12:27:36 PM »
They need a lot of work but they do look OE!

cushmancomp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 12:55:45 PM »
barn find

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 01:11:50 PM »
Barn find scoops or whole car?

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 01:14:59 PM »
look like later versions, the "capped" snout for the ducting.

Note where the chunk is missing on the lower scoop, first image, directly below there just inside the lip below you may see a part number...

Edit: Image added showing part numbers inside scoop opening...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 01:24:55 PM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

cushmancomp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 01:19:41 PM »
no just a bunch of parts, most of which I have already sold but just ran across these

DC-DD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 01:23:11 PM »
Yes those are definitely original  scoops as everthing I see is consistent with what originals look like.
As JD stated they are later 67 so non function lower cars . Serial #
Ballpark cars numbered 1550 and above. As I believe the change over is between 1550 and 1650
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 01:28:17 PM by DC-DD »

cushmancomp

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 02:18:38 PM »
Thanks guys

Skidado

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 02:48:11 AM »
Yes those are definitely original  scoops as everthing I see is consistent with what originals look like.
Ballpark cars numbered 1550 and above. As I believe the change over is between 1550 and 1650

I understand that SA would often use up old stocks of parts and if they had stock of functional lower scoops lying around they might have modified them to use on a body with no ducting holes in the sheet metal. So it seems odd that #2751 has fully functioning scoops, holed sheet metal and internal ducting installed.

Looking at the parts and workmanship, and knowing something of the history of my car, I don’t believe this was an after-market installation.

Any thoughts?

David.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 07:43:14 AM »
Perhaps previous owner ... is one possibility

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 10:12:00 AM »

I understand that SA would often use up old stocks of parts and if they had stock of functional lower scoops lying around they might have modified them to use on a body with no ducting holes in the sheet metal. So it seems odd that #2751 has fully functioning scoops, holed sheet metal and internal ducting installed.

Looking at the parts and workmanship, and knowing something of the history of my car, I don’t believe this was an after-market installation.

Any thoughts?

David.

It was not an uncommon thing for owners to add the ducting. Service parts were available for a few years and all you needed was a hole saw of the right size and a pop-rivet gun.

Cars were being modified with the lowered a-arms, headers, Traction-master underides and "dealer installed 427's". Performance wasn't left to the factory only.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 12:32:34 PM »

Any thoughts?

David.
My first thought is what is more likely? Is it more likely a previous owner addition? Or is it more likely a factory installed thousand car out of sequence designated obsolete more labor intensive procedure using found parts that the factory should have used up previously? More likely a PO modification IMO.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67GT500#1594

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 01:52:03 PM »
Not to steal Jay’s thread but what do I have? These are off #1594. They make zero sense in the 67 Shelby world! As far I know, they’ve never been replaced? I know the two previous owners and they never did any replacements? The lower scoop looks legit but with no part number. The upper has j nuts on it no studs and only three? The end caps have miniature rivets holding but plates for bolts instead of studs again! Crazy!!

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2020, 03:07:20 PM »
My lower scoops are functional. The studs have a plate that is riveted to the scoop. They look like they may have had repairs on the studs.
There are so many variants on the 67 they may be exactly as supplied for a time period.  The hoses were pop-riveted to the ducts.