Author Topic: Was This Really Necessary?  (Read 10870 times)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Was This Really Necessary?
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2020, 10:38:16 AM »
I'm telling you when nostalgia meets reality, reality wins.

I would say that maybe 1 to 1/2 percent of the 1965 - 1970 Shelbys would keep up with this machine or the any of today's muscle cars.

Yes I know how I feel when I get in our dinosaurs, takes me back to then feeling and we thoroughly enjoy it. But it is what it is and their ain't no more.

You would have CRIED...………. ;D
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

6s855

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2020, 11:41:45 AM »
It has always cracked me up listening to old muscle car owners fondly remembering how fast their cars were back in the day.  The best any one of them
could do was low 14's, if that.  Big block vettes or camaros could get in the 13's, but that's about it.  Shelbys were just too slow.  Sorry boys.  I know because I ran them all.  My TVR could do high 12's and never lost a street race against anyone, but my son's stock coyote mustang gt would kick my ass now three times over!

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2020, 11:44:26 AM »
It has always cracked me up listening to old muscle car owners fondly remembering how fast their cars were back in the day.  The best any one of them
could do was low 14's, if that.  Big block vettes or camaros could get in the 13's, but that's about it.  Shelbys were just too slow.  Sorry boys.  I know because I ran them all.  My TVR could do high 12's and never lost a street race against anyone, but my son's stock coyote mustang gt would kick my ass now three times over!

Speed was relative. When you are in the water swimming with your buddies, and a shark comes along. You don't need to out swim the shark, just your buddies.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2020, 12:50:06 PM »
Well, I run 11.26@119 through the traps with a four speed.....  Not too shabby for old school. I just can't pull a 1G skidpad.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2020, 01:21:48 PM »
Dont forget those turbo 4 mustang's they are vicious !

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2020, 01:23:43 PM »
You are one of those in the 1% group, everyone else take a number and sit down.

Well, I run 11.26@119 through the traps with a four speed.....  Not too shabby for old school. I just can't pull a 1G skidpad.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2020, 01:41:18 PM »

About 1990, Global West did a suspension project on a 67 or 8 Mustang. They generated 1.1 g's. It was published in Super Ford magazine I believe. I do believe it was a SB.

It was not a radical build. Essentially what I have described here previously.

Ask Randy about 1/4 times. I believe he is in the 11's?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2020, 02:46:22 PM »
Doug, I have a question for you. I'll shoot you a PM.

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2020, 02:48:39 PM »
E.T. on that former hearse replica? 8)

That was actually made from a REAL 1850's hearse.   The background story on that one and the builder is fascinating.

https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Ray_Farhner%27s_Boothill_Express

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2020, 02:59:02 PM »
Let's get back on topic "lawnmower beats Shelby" news at eleven

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2020, 03:06:40 PM »
Art Deco mowers! Outstanding!

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2020, 05:07:14 PM »
Only in Miyama!

Art Deco mowers! Outstanding!

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2020, 05:09:54 PM »
Shouldn't it have a bright orange "Caution: Fan" sticker? 8)

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2020, 05:11:13 PM »

The Mel Burns '65 GT350 ran high 12's in '66. It took me until '67 to get into the 12's with my Paxton blower equipped 289. By '69 I was in the 11's and by '72 I ran a best of 11.42 at 124 , before I ripped the axle housing off of the perches. "Some of us " WERE fast back then , and still are.
     Randy
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 10:25:32 AM by gt350hr »
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2020, 06:58:57 PM »
It’s relative.Back in the day I did really well.Then came the 5.0 mustangs with crazy gears (for the street) :'(