Author Topic: Was This Really Necessary?  (Read 10873 times)

67 GT350

• View Profile
Re: Was This Really Necessary?
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2020, 07:58:05 PM »
The "Man Hug" at the end sucked, glad after the Wuhan Flu that there will no longer be man hugs.
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2020, 12:36:00 AM »
It has always cracked me up listening to old muscle car owners fondly remembering how fast their cars were back in the day.  The best any one of them
could do was low 14's, if that.  Big block vettes or camaros could get in the 13's, but that's about it.  Shelbys were just too slow.  Sorry boys.  I know because I ran them all.  My TVR could do high 12's and never lost a street race against anyone, but my son's stock coyote mustang gt would kick my ass now three times over!

The Mel Burns '65 GT350 ran high 12's in '66. It took me until '67 to get into the 12's with my Paxton blower equipped 289. By '69 I was in the 11's and by '72 I ran a best of 11.42 at 124 , before I ripped the axle housing off of the perches. "Some of us " WERE fast back then , and still are.
     Randy
Thanks for your real world historical account of what could be done back then. The late Mike Reimenschneider who owned a 68 KR vert   also was the OO of a 68.5 coupe-I know a coupe is lighter but ran consistent very low 13s (stock)with it back in 68 on the original polyglas tires. Lost a couple of 10ths when he bought a new pair in 69 and found out Goodyear changed the tire design and made the tire a little harder. He bought all the display(F-70-14s) tires out of as many Goodyear tire stores as he could find and regained his 2 tenths. Had a few sets left when he sold the car way back then. Mike wasn't the sort of guy to "tell stories" either and was everyone's "go to" guy for stock or race carb applications. RIP Mike.  Gary
 Oh yeah, a 68 Gt350 to use? LMAO!!! even with the car cammed my 68 Gt350 was a major dog. The slowest Shelby of any Shelbys made during the 5 year run.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 12:38:10 AM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2020, 08:49:25 AM »
Disagree "Mon Ami" should have been with us this Saturday....

The "Man Hug" at the end sucked, glad after the Wuhan Flu that there will no longer be man hugs.
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2020, 08:51:47 AM »
Totally agree a few where fast and the majority where adequate

Reality vs Nostalgia.....

It has always cracked me up listening to old muscle car owners fondly remembering how fast their cars were back in the day.  The best any one of them
could do was low 14's, if that.  Big block vettes or camaros could get in the 13's, but that's about it.  Shelbys were just too slow.  Sorry boys.  I know because I ran them all.  My TVR could do high 12's and never lost a street race against anyone, but my son's stock coyote mustang gt would kick my ass now three times over!

The Mel Burns '65 GT350 ran high 12's in '66. It took me until '67 to get into the 12's with my Paxton blower equipped 289. By '69 I was in the 11's and by '72 I ran a best of 11.42 at 124 , before I ripped the axle housing off of the perches. "Some of us " WERE fast back then , and still are.
     Randy
Thanks for your real world historical account of what could be done back then. The late Mike Reimenschneider who owned a 68 KR vert   also was the OO of a 68.5 coupe-I know a coupe is lighter but ran consistent very low 13s (stock)with it back in 68 on the original polyglas tires. Lost a couple of 10ths when he bought a new pair in 69 and found out Goodyear changed the tire design and made the tire a little harder. He bought all the display(F-70-14s) tires out of as many Goodyear tire stores as he could find and regained his 2 tenths. Had a few sets left when he sold the car way back then. Mike wasn't the sort of guy to "tell stories" either and was everyone's "go to" guy for stock or race carb applications. RIP Mike.  Gary
 Oh yeah, a 68 Gt350 to use? LMAO!!! even with the car cammed my 68 Gt350 was a major dog. The slowest Shelby of any Shelbys made during the 5 year run.
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2020, 01:01:45 PM »
In '67 - '68 I was 10 years old and had a paper route. There were two Shelbys on my route. One was a '67 GT350 with AC and automatic in Lime Gold. The other was a '68 GT500 in Lime Green metallic with auto and AC. Both cars had hubcaps. Both cars were parked in the street every night, not in garages. I doubt the owners ever took them to a drag strip. These were affluent men who drove their Shelby Mustang every day to the office. Rain or shine they sat outside. 
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock