News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Restoring Gauge Pod

Started by donnelson, April 10, 2020, 01:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donnelson

Can anyone recommend a place to get my gauge pod restored? Thank you in advance!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: donnelson on April 10, 2020, 01:21:05 PM
Can anyone recommend a place to get my gauge pod restored? Thank you in advance!
If you mean strip it and wrinkle paint . Not a particularly hard job but tedious. I haven't done one in years and can't remember how long it took or if I did it straight through or did other things in between.  If time =$ it will probably be several hour labor and material process.What is a bodyshop typical shop hourly rate charge? I bet Shelby parts and restoration can do it given he does the wrinkle on valve covers. If Jim doesn't want to do it (I know he can if he wants to  ;)) PM me and I will give it a go.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

alexgt350h

I did mine myself. Bought paint at Harley Davidson dealer, stripped paint off pod, cleaned ,and sprayed paint out of rattle can.
To get it to wrinkle in a uniform manner, I used a hair dryer to help it along. Works very nicely!

Brent

donnelson

I think I'll try to refinish it myself and use your idea Brent. Thank you Bob for volunteering to do it yourself.

The Going Thing

VHT makes the wrinkle paint as well. You have to strip the housing and it doesn't come off easily.  The VHT goes in the over at 200 degrees for about 30 minutes. Mine came out perfect.