News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

I know search is my friend, but

Started by 67 GT350, April 12, 2020, 10:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

67 GT350

I just want to make the right decision for my 67. From what I gather, my car seems low in the front, but not 100% on that, maybe it is the correct height. I see where we only really have the BF Goodrich tires if we want a good tire at a good price that is Raised White Letter. Presently, the car has Magstars with the repro Goodyear E/70/15, I will be putting on original 10 spoke wheels.

So, sizes. Now before everyone says, stuff like, we cannot do everything for you, etc....I have searched high and low, read all the measurements, revolutions per mile, Bla bla....

I was thinking of the very standard 215/65/15, according to tire rack and other searches, including one that was on this forum, the rev per mile are 799, I would like to get that down. If the revs per mile is a lower number the engine will rev lower on the highway, correct???  I am running 3:89 gears with an automatic, although the car is revving high on the highway, it is fantastic around town and for a auto, moves nicely because of that gear ratio. I don't want to make this an ordeal, but some sizes I am looking at are:

215/65/15
215/70/15
225/70/15
235/60/15

I want them to fit nicely without issues, (I forgot to say, my front fenders appear to be rolled, not sure if that is factory or not). Two pictures included, one Front and one Rear. I fully understand that there is a lot of play with the rear, I would like the same size all the way around, but one size bigger will not bother me. I have not figured out how to turn pictures correctly, the second picture is the FRONT, at 25" from the ground to the fender lip.

Thank you all and have a Happy Easter!
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbydoug

I have 235-60-15 BFG on the front. Probably will replace with the "Goodyear" Avons.

Performance wise, the BFG is a good compromise. You don't need to worry about revs per mile with the front. Just the back.

My rears are 295-50-15 BFG on 10 spokes. 3.50 rear. 5 speed with 1:1 rear.

Good all round set up but needs a '66/Versalles rear banjo to get the tires within the wheelwell.

Those probably will go to the Avon trick 295's as well, budget permitting.

The nicest set up by far will be the Avons. I'm at just over 22,000 original miles. I need to worry about the tires drying out before I wear them up?

25" is what I have also.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JD

Here are the two images rotated.

(just in as a footnote for those that may not be aware, '67 GT350's with auto came with a 3.50:1 rear gearing the 4-spd's got the 3.89:1 rear gear)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbydoug

If we leave the 15" tire, then there is quite a choice.

The worst wear tire I ever had were Kumo 245-55-17's on my 92 SHO. They were I think 92w's? I went through three sets at just about 3,200 miles each.

That was with a tire rated at a 400 wear factor.

The tire dealer explained to me that often  the wear rating means nothing. It is the "aggressiveness of the tread design that determines  the wear rate".

Now that was a strange tire to begin with. It had to be set at a negative 1 degree camber to keep the car going straight in the wet.

If I was driving it aggressively, having to look for the cops in every shadow, that would have been different. I got tired of forking out $900 for just driving to work once a year. They weren't any more fun then the original Goodyears.

If I put 3,200 miles on my 68 in the next three years, I'll be shocked. My BFG's are drying out from age.

It all depends on your criteria for you car? How you use it.

The best bang for the buck unquestionably is the BFG in a 15". Go into other diameters, it's an entirely different ball game and I wouldn't be surprised if everything needed to be retuned? Shock rate, spring rates, ride heights?

Try re-engineering the car? Venturing even a little can require the attention level of NASA, and you won't realize it until you come to the fork in the road. No problem you say? It's a wall. Once you go over, you can never come back and likely you are all on your own, all by your lonesome self?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

rcgt350

On the topic of ride height, does anyone have a rear number ground to bottom of wheel lip with stock large letter Speedways? GT 350.

roddster

Heres some measurements for you:
BFG P215 70 R15 is 26 1/2" in diameter.  The road contact is 6 3/4" wide.  No fender rub.

Repop Goodyear E 70 15 is 26 1/8" in diameter.  Road contact is 7" wide.

Randy: My car sits in a bubble with Klunk tires on it during the winter.  No measurement is available at this time. 

67 GT350

All please read my post and give advise, I am choosing BF Goodrich due to they have raised white lettering and are a radial, they are reasonably priced, and while not the best they are a good tire.....Again, I listed some sizes and am wondering if anyone has SIZE advise. I have searched all the measurements....

I drove it today and the more I drive it I just wonder why anyone would want repop Goodyears. I also understand that my car should have 3:50 gears, (I might change them), I am thinking of going with 215/70/15 instead of the 215/65/15, might want bigger in the back.

SIZE recommendations is what this post is about.
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbydoug

Quote from: 67 GT350 on April 12, 2020, 05:50:04 PM
All please read my post and give advise, I am choosing BF Goodrich due to they have raised white lettering and are a radial, they are reasonably priced, and while not the best they are a good tire.....Again, I listed some sizes and am wondering if anyone has SIZE advise. I have searched all the measurements....

I drove it today and the more I drive it I just wonder why anyone would want repop Goodyears. I also understand that my car should have 3:50 gears, (I might change them), I am thinking of going with 215/70/15 instead of the 215/65/15, might want bigger in the back.

SIZE recommendations is what this post is about.

I think size and profile are going to be personal preferences. We all had our reasons for choosing certain sizes.

It just comes down to what you think your car looks better with? None of us can decide that for you or tell you what is right or wrong. Your choice.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67 GT350

No, not saying I am asking to tell me what looks good, I am I guess asking, what clears in the front, the back is easy as I think if you don't mind it looking fat, you can go big and wide, if you like that look. Personally most of the time, I would like all 4 corners to be the same, but if I am filling wheel wells, that is a different story. I do think I might go with:
215/65/15 in the front......I am thinking on the rear:
215/70/15
235/60/15 or 245/60/15 as I think getting my RPM's lower on the highway is important. Interesting enough the size 225/60/15 as per tire rack claimed that  with a .6 more diameter over the 215/65/15, the revolution per mile is more at 813, does not make sense.
RARE  Signature Delete

greekz

I am running 225/60/15 BFG's on my 67 GT-350, front and rear.  No rubbing.  Automatic, with 3:50 gears.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

67GT500#1594

Quote from: shelbydoug on April 12, 2020, 10:44:19 AM
I have 235-60-15 BFG on the front. Probably will replace with the "Goodyear" Avons.

Performance wise, the BFG is a good compromise. You don't need to worry about revs per mile with the front. Just the back.

My rears are 295-50-15 BFG on 10 spokes. 3.50 rear. 5 speed with 1:1 rear.

Good all round set up but needs a '66/Versalles rear banjo to get the tires within the wheelwell.

Those probably will go to the Avon trick 295's as well, budget permitting.

The nicest set up by far will be the Avons. I'm at just over 22,000 original miles. I need to worry about the tires drying out before I wear them up?

25" is what I have also.

Your running 295-50-15's on a 15"x7" Ten Spoke? That's a HUGE tire!! Got any pics?

I ran Cooper Cobras on my last 67 car 235-60-15 and 255-60-15. I did roll the rear lips but they would have fit with no issues. They're "OK", not bad, no flat spots like BF's and rode well. Just NOT performance based at all.

I really like the Avon's but beside the price, they throw stones pretty good because they get sticky. About the only performance tire available really!

shelbydoug

My pictures were previously posted.

This post is about GT350's tire dilemma. Not mine.

Also, I thought the tire sizes recommended were all ready listed in this thread? Why are we making decisions for you...again?

I'm getting confused?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JD

For what it's worth, attached car was lowered upper front and rear lowered 1 inch standard/stock springs with 215/65/15 Goodyear's and the Goodyear got painted white on each tire - no rubbing.  You don't say if the suspension is like factory (Shelby) stock or modified - are/were the font upper arms relocated? There will be an un-used set of holes (17/32 in diameter) about 1 inch above where the bolts are holding the upper arms to the body.  If "stock" you could go with the 215/70/25 no problem You can probably bigger.

Do some checking to see the section width and diameter of the sizes you list and compare to the Bias-plys you have.  Some times easy to find sometimes a bit more difficult, call the seller/dealer get them to find that info.

Get what your comfortable with have them mounted and check - roll straight and turn the wheel but don't drive on them, if there is an issue typically you can return tires that have not been driven.  Yes tire size is a formula/ratio and any tire to that "size" should be the same BUT they are not all the same they do vary. (insert rant here).

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Sixx7shelby

I run 235/60/15 all the way around with a low car, fenders are rolled and does not rub driving down the road, but does rub full lock when parking.... but I am pretty low.
67 GT350 #1482
69 Eliminator 428SCJ
97 Cobra
86 SVO