Author Topic: 70 Hood Stripe Layout 6/9/69 Gt 500  (Read 4178 times)

bobboss351

• 651 485 9832
    • View Profile
70 Hood Stripe Layout 6/9/69 Gt 500
« on: April 13, 2020, 09:41:22 AM »
   Seems that there are some differences as how the stripes are layed out on the hood,,,  Looking for the correct layout for the 2 hood stripes for a 6/9/69 Shelby gt 500, The  car was painted sometime early in it life and does have stripes on the car, I cannot tell if they went over the existing stripes or if the layed them out again, ,,,,,
  What is the correct shean,,, Seems like i have been seeing Gloss black ,,,,  any feedback or recommendation would be appreciated, Thank you ,,,,   Bob
RJ RESTORATIONS
Robert Wilson
701 FIRST ST
SUITE B
FARMINGTON ,MN
bobboss351@gmail.com

Special Ed

• View Profile
Re: 70 Hood Stripe Layout 6/9/69 Gt 500
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 10:08:16 AM »
Don't go by the drawing in the 97 saac registry on the front tip of black stripe as drawing says 15/16'' but its more like 1 1/2'' from what I seen on unrestored cars.The rear 11'' is correct as well as the rest of drawing so I think it was a typeo error in drawing or KK painters just changed there mind. I got some of the  70 old original hoodpaint stripe layouts from larry Lawrence the painter at KK plant who also painted the b9 hood scoops.

bobboss351

• 651 485 9832
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 12:11:03 PM »
 Ed,
 Thank you,
, I would like to buy the layout or borrow to make a couple of detailed copies ,,, i be glad to send several copies for the ability to buy or borrow ,,,,, the factory stencil,  let me know what is best,, Bob
RJ RESTORATIONS
Robert Wilson
701 FIRST ST
SUITE B
FARMINGTON ,MN
bobboss351@gmail.com

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 01:29:45 PM »
Ok have to find it first  but I looked thru my notes from unrestored 70 shelbys and its like I thought 1 1/2'' front wide. Bob it would be a great idea to make a stencil layout of the hood stripe as to get right especially the front curves to the point. I only got 1 side and there was a rh lh side of stripe but u can flip mine over to get the other side. I am sure there would be a market to sell these since nothing is out there and most I have seen were wrongly painted and this is a highly visable detail being on top of hood.

bobboss351

• 651 485 9832
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 01:55:54 PM »
OK.,
    what was the correct finish of Black,,,,,,,  shean?????

I do have the original hood to the car [that was painted  back in 75 ish era]  and the  97 registry  layout [ i will have to locate that information]  With your right side  layout,,, I can do a flip flop  of the right side onto the left and  do a layout and master stencil,,,,  then get the   " Special Ed Meyer Approval "  and move forward ,,,, after that , there will be a master copy and a  correct stencils,,
  It will be interesting to see what the current hood [original] repainted ends up being,,,,,, Looks like to me , they mast over the edges and painted on top of the stripe ,, that is what looks like ,,, to me,,,,,
   Thanks, Will call you or email you,,, please locate the right side stencil...... Bob
RJ RESTORATIONS
Robert Wilson
701 FIRST ST
SUITE B
FARMINGTON ,MN
bobboss351@gmail.com

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 09:43:34 PM »
Found the KK stencils and haven't looked at them in years but they are rh outside and they were designed to stick to the edge of hood then they are lined up for stripe as u simply line up edge of stencil with hood side from front to rear. So would it be easier to make 1 wide stencil and have the center stripe part cut out or have 2 parts and just flip my KK stencil? I looked at 97 registry drawing and all measurements are correct EXCEPT the very front width wasn't 15/16'' as that has to be a typo mistake and it don't make sense and it wouldn't look right as 3 measurement i took from all original unrestored low mile 70 shelbys were 1 1/4'' plus to 1 1/2'' and most common i seen was 1 1/2''. These hood stripes were gloss black except for black jade being a dark color was low gloss. If u look in new registry u can see the photo i sent SAAC of Larry Lawrence painting the 70 shelby hood stripes and he also painted the boss 429 hoodscoops and he is were i got the stencils from back in the late 80s.

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 12:05:51 PM »
I am taking my original KK 1 side hood stripe stencil to a sign shop and have them flip it to make the other side so stay tuned and see what they say they can do and if so I will have some pairs made so 70 Shelby owners can get this hood stripe detail correct.

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 04:45:17 PM »
Just ordered a roll of stencil material and using my original KK stencil to make patterns since there are 4 pieces total to do 1 hood lh rh inner outer and these are esay to use as u just line up the outer edge with the edge of hood then measure over 11'' rear and 1 1/2'' front gaps.  The 2 patterns are simply flipped over having glue on the other side but u need 4 pieces to do hood stripe concours correct. We will be selling the kits here shortly as I know 3 guys trying to get there 70 shelbys done for our 50th 70 Shelby show now moved to October in spring mill state park here in southern Indiana.

bobboss351

• 651 485 9832
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 05:04:31 PM »
 im in for them Ed,,,,,, just let me know,,,  i take 2 sets,,, that way i have an extra set ,,,,, thank you,,, Bob 
RJ RESTORATIONS
Robert Wilson
701 FIRST ST
SUITE B
FARMINGTON ,MN
bobboss351@gmail.com

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 08:57:34 PM »
Checked 2 more original paint 70 Shelby hoods and both were 11'' rear and 1 1/2'' front black hood stripes and I am wondering if KK took off the front hood peak moulding before paint and had paper under the hood screen holes so black paint didn't blow thru  the front and back hood screen holes under the hood engine bay areas?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 01:00:26 AM »
Checked 2 more original paint 70 Shelby hoods and both were 11'' rear and 1 1/2'' front black hood stripes and I am wondering if KK took off the front hood peak moulding before paint and had paper under the hood screen holes so black paint didn't blow thru  the front and back hood screen holes under the hood engine bay areas?
That way has my vote for most likely.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

aj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 08:24:18 AM »
I’m also interested in a set

nate

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • Nate's Classic Cars
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 09:54:36 AM »
Here are some pictures of when Ed and I laid the Original 3M Stencils down from the KK Plant.

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 10:38:01 AM »
As u can see those are original 1969 KK 3M (ford original stripe and decal vendor) stencils that u simple line up the outer edge of stencil with the outer edge of hood then measure over 11'' rear and 1 1/2'' front NOT 15/16''( typo mistake in original drawing).  I am going to make the inner stencil using the original outer stencil since the curve is the same just flipping stencil over and this is as good as can get using the original stencils. I am going to make all 4 stencils since u have to have the glued part on bottom of all 4 stencils inner outer LH and RH  to do it concours correct as most past repainted 70 Shelby hood stripes were guessed at unless u had an 70 original paint hood to copy but even if u did it would be hard to get that long curved sides correct.  I have a couple extra of this outer side original KK stencils to sell if someone wants to make an offer as not sure what something like that part is worth. I wish I would have looked for these stencils a long time ago as I just found them buried behind all my stripe kits. I had forgot about them until recently Bob W. asked  here about 70 Shelby hood stripes then I remember getting them long time ago from Larry Lawrence who painted 70 Shelby hood stripes and B0SS 429 hood scoops at fords KK plant back in 1969.

bobboss351

• 651 485 9832
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2020, 05:45:39 PM »
Ed,,,,
 Well you have answered a huge question for me, My concern was  also the transition from the side of the front air scoop to the frt of the hood,,, { the 1.5 inch } area,,,, It is very easy to see that they 'swept' the line to go with the contour of the scoop feature line of the hood, That is a huge area were i see alot of differences,, So , right there you have  corrected or change what I see a huge difference,,, from the front of the hood to the sides of the first scoop,,
  Also,,, very much still want 2 sets,,, I can see these to of huge value as this is a area that seems to be a little cloudy on detail,,, so , Keep me posted,,,   
 also,, so are you saying the hood screens are semi gloss black and the hood stripes are gloss black and they had for a better term,, Block Off or Templates to prevent gloss black paint from getting on the screens, ,,,,,  that is my take away from your lasts post,  Thank you again, Bob
RJ RESTORATIONS
Robert Wilson
701 FIRST ST
SUITE B
FARMINGTON ,MN
bobboss351@gmail.com