News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

70 Hood Stripe Layout 6/9/69 Gt 500

Started by bobboss351, April 13, 2020, 09:41:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Special Ed

top of screens were painted gloss black along with the stripes I would think and my sign shop guy has my original kk tape stripe and I gave him all the lengths to make all 4 pieces and he ordered a roll of striping material so we are going to make enough sets till the roll is used up. This is too hard too guess at and would be hard to do by hand and wouldn't be consistant as too many curves so this 4 piece layout will be very easy to do right the first time. I gave nate one of my original 70 shelby KK stripe layouts to sell on ebay for the 70 Shelby guy who thinks they have to have ev erything.  Let me know how many 70 Shelby guys would want this stripe layout set of 4 so I know how many to have cut out as the more buyers the cheaper they will be sharing the cost as I got 3 people right now and need more?

aj

Wondering if '70 hood stripe stencil is available for purchase from any source ?

Thanks
Adrian Jacobs

J_Speegle

Quote from: aj on July 18, 2022, 10:46:10 PM
Wondering if '70 hood stripe stencil is available for purchase from any source ?

Thanks
Adrian Jacobs

Never heard of one nor anyone looking for one but your requests demonstrates that at least someone would purchase one if someone had access to a hand full of original paint cars to craft a reliable and correct one from 
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on July 18, 2022, 11:15:13 PM

Thanks
Adrian Jacobs

Never heard of one nor anyone looking for one but your requests demonstrates that at least someone would purchase one if someone had access to a hand full of original paint cars to craft a reliable and correct one from
They were used at the KK plant as Ed mentioned in his reply  Ed got a number of them decades ago and so did Bob Perkins. Bob gave me mine back in the mid 80's when I and a friend drove up to his house in the mid 80's. He had quite a few I think.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Cool Had not seen them. Surprised someone didn't knock off copies
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Special Ed

They all were from 1 side. but i used it as a pattern to make sets of 4.

aj

Ed,  do you happen to have any stencils left ?  I'd be interested to purchase ..even if only a single side of one.  Thanks. 

Special Ed

Have to check what i got left as i used some and sold some sets.

shelbymann1970

Thanks
Adrian Jacobs
Ebay. has a blue print. There are 2 styles at least I know of. Mine which is supported by a newly finished striped car by Larry at KK in 1969 and the narrower version which I think the stencils would get you? https://www.ebay.com/itm/393599111288?hash=item5ba455d078:g:XKwAAOSwVIJhUk6k

Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Special Ed

The problem is people were going by the blueprint  photo in the old registry but i went over all this with vinny and the new registry will have corrected info. The blueprint front tip measurement looks like 15/16''. too narrow but was supposed to be 1 5/16''. of which is closer to all the  70 original paint cars that i have documented.   I seen the front tip measurement on original cars to be between 1. 1/4'' to 1 1/2''. but mostly they are around 1 3/8''

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Special Ed on July 19, 2022, 06:59:16 PM
The problem is people were going by the blueprint  photo in the old registry but i went over all this with vinny and the new registry will have corrected info. The blueprint front tip measurement looks like 15/16''. too narrow but was supposed to be 1 5/16''. of which is closer to all the  70 original paint cars that i have documented.   I seen the front tip measurement on original cars to be between 1. 1/4'' to 1 1/2''. but mostly they are around 1 3/8''
Ed, I know my stripes were original when I bought my car in 1985. My measurements varied only at the front compared to what you mentioned that is in the 1987 SAAC registry. I remember on SAAC 1.0 that mine were "too wide" at the front compared to "original cars". My car was discounted since it was repainted once in another color. My stripes were "backtaped"(lower than the new paint and burned through from rubbing at the rear edge revealing original paint). Since then original pics surfaced of my car and also one of Larry's painted car. What ever happened to the finding of original paint cars like an OO yellow one in NY that had the "narrow" version which was presented to me as correct? I mention that because right after that topic now and then people would send me pics of original paint cars with the same width as on my car over the next few years. Privately. Not posting on the forums and before my pics below surfaced. I'm just glad that "judges" now consider the "wide" version correct. Am I remembering that topic wrong from the 2000s on SAAC 1.0? I remember  being told that the templates would have a narrower "fang" style of stripe from the front scoops to the front edge of the hood.   
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbymann1970

I do not see how hard it is to mask off the stripes by hand after marking "set" points for taping? Larry's original hood stripes on that white(?) car looks like they were straight and followed the "tangent" point of the hood where the flats meet the raised areas. I never asked Larry but would not discount that after a while he could free hand them. Ed, did you ever asked him about that? I did a lot of measurements of my stripes before I stripped the hood to get them correct.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Special Ed

Larry is where the 70 hood stencils came from leftover from kk plant but he only had the rh outer side.  The reason i always questioned the blueprint being misunderstood reading 15/16''  and not 1  5/16''.  is  they never would have chosen an odd number like 15/16'' they would have been 1'' to make it much easy to do .    I think the 70 hoodstripe layout design being pointed at the front of hood was to match the the 3 front scoops pointed design.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Special Ed on July 20, 2022, 09:42:41 AM
Larry is where the 70 hood stencils came from leftover from kk plant but he only had the rh outer side.  The reason i always questioned the blueprint being misunderstood reading 15/16''  and not 1  5/16''.  is  they never would have chosen an odd number like 15/16'' they would have been 1'' to make it much easy to do .    I think the 70 hoodstripe layout design being pointed at the front of hood was to match the the 3 front scoops pointed design.
I taped off my hood stripes both ways(one on each side). The narrower version as seen by me and my painter didn't look right. The wider version followed the hood tangent points much better. At the time I felt my stripes were correct and was confused over the registry's layout in it. So I went with what was on my car. I'm glad I did as photos appeared later on of my car from when new.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990