News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Taillight question

Started by proford1, April 13, 2020, 02:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

proford1

I was test fitting the taillight panel in my car today with all the lights in it. how does the wiring for the taillights go from inside the trunk to the taillights. ive misplaced my 2 large taillight covers. (they are here somewhere) did they have a hole for the harness to go thru? does the taillight harness run like the mustang across the tail panel  to the passenger side taillight?  thanks any pictures would be appreciated

Mike

Corey Bowcutt

May want to strip the black paint off of your chrome tail light frames.  Very easy to do and makes them correct for a 68 Shelby.

proford1

yea that was going to be my next question. what do you use to strip it ? thinner?

CSX 3183

Member of SAAC since 1977

Bob Gaines

Quote from: proford1 on April 13, 2020, 02:32:30 PM
I was test fitting the taillight panel in my car today with all the lights in it. how does the wiring for the taillights go from inside the trunk to the taillights. ive misplaced my 2 large taillight covers. (they are here somewhere) did they have a hole for the harness to go thru? does the taillight harness run like the mustang across the tail panel  to the passenger side taillight? thanks any pictures would be appreciated

Mike
Yes the Shelby used the Mustang tail light harness. It was run in the same way as the Mustang. See the electrical assemblyline manual . The Mustang harness is held in place by the tabs hanging down from the top edge seen in your trunk picture .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

roddster

And those tabs have a cover on them.  If missing, I believe NPD has them.

proford1

Ok but where does the mustang tail light harness pass thru the steel  taillight panel to reach the shelby taillight harness?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: proford1 on April 14, 2020, 11:02:35 AM
Ok but where does the mustang tail light harness pass thru the steel  taillight panel to reach the shelby taillight harness?
You really would benefit from the electrical assemblyline manual because it has illustrations.Not to be confused with the shop manual . Most larger Mustang vendors sell them.The Mustang harness is routed behind the gas filler neck support brace as it goes across the upper edge inner lip of the tail panel but does not go through the steel tail light panel at any point.  The Shelby harness attaches to the Mustang harness at the point where the Mustang harness wires would normally branch off and go to the Mustang tail lights.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

proford1

ok then the shelby taillight wiring plug needs to pass thru the large cutout in the steel taillight panel.

Mike

Corey Bowcutt

I hesitate to post pictures of my car because I have no idea how correct it is.  I know the spherical cups are supposed to be black but have not gotten around to changing that yet.  But I have attached photos of mine for your reference but like I said I am no expert so can not attest to its correctness.  So use at your own risk.

Corey

proford1

thank you thats the picture i was looking for.

Corey Bowcutt

You are welcome.  I am informed there should be rubber grommets like the one for the speedometer cable thru the firewall where the taillight harness passes thru the hole.

Corey

bobg

I hate to but in, when I got my car back in the day it didn't have the large cover. All that covered the large opening was duct tape. Did some come that way from factory.