Author Topic: What's everybody reading? Any Recomendations?  (Read 6186 times)

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
What's everybody reading? Any Recomendations?
« on: April 15, 2020, 10:48:46 AM »
During all this Social Distancing", restricted travel, etc. I am taking the time to reread some of my Shelby/Car books The two I reading now are "Shelby Mustang GT350, My years designing, testing and racing Carroll's legendary Mustangs" by Chuck Cantwell with Greg Koloasa and "The First Three Shelby Cobras, The sports cars that changed the game", by Gordon Bruce

Both are good reads and really give you an insight into what would have been a magical time in auto history, surely never to be repeated. I was just born about 5 to 10 years too late to have been a part of it, but was lucky enough to get a GT350 back when they were cheap ($1,000 in 1971). I also remember Ford's "great garage sale in the early 70's where my buddy as able to get a 427 SOHC and bunch of spare parts  including two cylinder heads, gasket sets, for $1300 at Holman and Moody. They had a bunch of high Nickel content machined Boss 301 blocks for $50, Sodium filled 427 exhaust valves a $0.05 apiece, 427 NASCAR engines complete for $500 and a bunch of GT40 parts and stuff. On the way out they offered us an aluminum 494 Boss 429 style Can-Am block for $25 and they would have tossed it in the truck.
Does anybody know of any books about this sale? Or perhaps something about a Shelby sell off when they moved from Calf to Michigan? Or a sell off when Shelby production shut down in 1970?
Any other recommendations of books would be nice to hear about
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
Re: What's everybody reading? Any Recomendations?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 10:53:49 AM »
Shelby registry.Pretty sure if you read it all the way through it will burn some time ;D Head might explode from all the info.packed inside though,so there’s that.......

capecodmustang.com

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 11:27:59 AM »
Reading?

Even though I read it as a teenager I started with

"To Kill a Mockingbird" again...

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 11:30:07 AM »
Reading?

I only have one book, and that's  not it.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 11:46:02 AM »
Shelby registry.Pretty sure if you read it all the way through it will burn some time ;D Head might explode from all the info.packed inside though,so there’s that.......
+1 when I read them my head feel like the dude in “Scanners”
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 12:03:53 PM »
Here's a couple three car related:

Speed With Style - The Autobiography of Peter Revson by Peter Revson and Leon Mandel
The Unfair Advantage by Mark Donohue with Paul Van Valkenburgh
Cannonball! - World's Greatest Outlaw Road Race by Brock Yates

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 12:20:06 PM »
some more, a couple of these are out-of-print but can be found on-line a used "abe books".

(not trying to create a debate but The "Go Like Hell" is a much better view of the Ford vs Ferrari story than the movie)

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 12:32:27 PM »
Faster! (Jackie Stewart story)

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 12:39:32 PM »
  My wife and I watch Jeopardy every day.  Often a clue will contain some reference to different books.  So, off to the library I go.  The local library has a really good collection of history books but I tend to read about either the Colonial revolution, or WWII.
   Learn a lot about what went on back then.  For instance, in "Don't call Me a Hero", during the battle of Midway the same pilot that sank a Japanese carrier sank a Cruiser the next day.  He was awarded the Navy Cross.  He didn't think he did anything but his duty.
  It was a huge deal to fight the battle of Bunker Hill to a draw.
 Read about the Colonial Navy, John Paul Jones and all.
   You should read about Area 51, Yes,THAT area 51.
  Problem is, right now the library is closed to the public.

capecodmustang.com

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 12:43:34 PM »
  My wife and I watch Jeopardy every day.  Often a clue will contain some reference to different books.  So, off to the library I go.  The local library has a really good collection of history books but I tend to read about either the Colonial revolution, or WWII.
   Learn a lot about what went on back then.  For instance, in "Don't call Me a Hero", during the battle of Midway the same pilot that sank a Japanese carrier sank a Cruiser the next day.  He was awarded the Navy Cross.  He didn't think he did anything but his duty.
  It was a huge deal to fight the battle of Bunker Hill to a draw.
 Read about the Colonial Navy, John Paul Jones and all.
   You should read about Area 51, Yes,THAT area 51.
  Problem is, right now the library is closed to the public.

I was in Nevada a few months back buying a car...
And I detoured to Area 51...

Not much to see from a distance...

68countrysedan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 01:54:50 PM »
Enzo Ferrari The Man, the Cars, the Races        Brock Yates

The Whiz Kids   Ten Founding Fathers of American Business and the Legacy They Left Us       John A. Byrne

About the Whiz Kids that were hired by Ford Motor Company. There's the usual suspects, Robert McNamara, Tex Thornton, Ben Mills. Plus some you don't know, Gerorge Moore, Jack Reith. Not all of the subjects' lives had happy endings.

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2020, 03:19:34 PM »
Reading?

He didn't say "Magazine with Centerfolds" Doug!

T-Bone68

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 03:40:24 PM »
Enzo Ferrari The Man, the Cars, the Races        Brock Yates

The Whiz Kids   Ten Founding Fathers of American Business and the Legacy They Left Us       John A. Byrne

About the Whiz Kids that were hired by Ford Motor Company. There's the usual suspects, Robert McNamara, Tex Thornton, Ben Mills. Plus some you don't know, Gerorge Moore, Jack Reith. Not all of the subjects' lives had happy endings.

The Whiz Kids was actually a really good book.  Read that years ago and liked it.  Really interesting insights into Ford back in that time and McNamara before working for Johnson.

The Unfair Advantage is a fantastic read for any car fans, whether you are a Ford or Chevy guy. 

Best of all... My 13yr old boy picked up Go Like Hell while stuck at home and is loving it.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2020, 04:13:54 PM »
Reading?

He didn't say "Magazine with Centerfolds" Doug!

Centerfolds are ok but  they don't show the jiggling. I've always studied which way everything moves in motion. You know. For scientific data reasons?  ;D

When I'm asked, "are you looking at me?" I always answer "yes. I'm an artist. Will you pose for me?"  8)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2020, 07:30:10 PM »
Here is a good start:
https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2017/aug/23/top-10-books-about-tyrants-christopher-wilson
ALL about a few governors in the USA
Andy C for one. NY, NJ, Conn, MA, RI, CA.
RARE  Signature Delete