News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Removing 67 Steering Wheel - Stuck

Started by Shelby_r_b, April 15, 2020, 03:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: Skidado on April 18, 2020, 03:03:40 AM
Quote from: GT350DAVE on April 16, 2020, 08:47:38 AM
I sent you a PM. I have a special puller designed for the application you can borrow.
Dave

Dave - could you post details and/or photos of your special puller?  I'm sure many of us could use an effective tool that doesn't cause any damage to the wheel.

Many thanks

David

+1

GT350DAVE

Special 67 Steering wheel puller. It clamps around the stainless hub below the spokes.
Support the SAAC Registry

Is that tool for pulling generic wood wheels or is it specifically engineered for the 67 wheel?

GT350DAVE

Specifically for the 67 wood wheel.
Dave

JD

Dang - that looks like something they'd use in a operating room!!
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

The Going Thing

I was fortunate. I used a small amount of penetrant and let it sit overnight. A bronze drift and a couple whacks with two-pound hammer with the drift on the steering shaft with my knees pushing on the wheel and it came right off.

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: GT350DAVE on April 18, 2020, 02:01:10 PM
Special 67 Steering wheel puller. It clamps around the stainless hub below the spokes.

Dang! That apparatus looks incredible!!!

...I'm such a novice!

Thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

The Going Thing

Dave, That's a nice removal tool!  I noted others commented with 68 and later cars that used Ford wheels. There are no provisions for threading the bolts to the hub on the 1967 cars. Getting heavy-handed can be an expensive mistake.

Skidado

Wow that's quite a contraption!  Did you make it or can we buy them from somewhere?

Looking at the picture I think I can work out how it works. One thing that's not clear - does the lower red plate clamp tight around the wheel boss (danger of slippage...?) or does it press against the underside of the spokes?

Many thanks

David

The Going Thing

Quote from: Skidado on April 19, 2020, 02:21:20 AM

Wow that's quite a contraption!  Did you make it or can we buy them from somewhere?

Looking at the picture I think I can work out how it works. One thing that's not clear - does the lower red plate clamp tight around the wheel boss (danger of slippage...?) or does it press against the underside of the spokes?

Many thanks
It has a thin lip that slides in at the bottom edge between the column and the steering wheel edge. It pulls the hub from the rear edge of the wheel with pressure applied at the steering shaft. Great design!

David

6s2055

I agree that a puller is not going to work. Years back I was restoring #0195. After trying different pullers for god only knows how long a friend suggested the loosing nut technique with a ball pean hammer "tap"! The best and easiest way in my opinion!

GT350DAVE

The puller was hand made and not cheap to produce. I can get a price from the shop that produced it but you better be sitting down when you review the cost. 

The Going Thing

Dave: So you're in the rental tool business now?   ;D 
I would venture to guess this beautiful tool is on the north side of 700.00. It's design is well thought out. I was fortunate with my Shelby but many were stored in horrid conditions. With two dissimilar metals, they often fuse. 

67 GT350

I did the loosen the nut, slight pressure upward with legs, trick and it was out in 2 minutes. ( I did use a socket extension and hit that with the hammer).
RARE  Signature Delete

JD

Quote from: 67 GT350 on April 19, 2020, 03:27:15 PM
I did the loosen the nut, slight pressure upward with legs, trick and it was out in 2 minutes. ( I did use a socket extension and hit that with the hammer).

^^^ +1 Me too, did take couple hard raps with the hammer
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0