News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Removing 67 Steering Wheel - Stuck

Started by Shelby_r_b, April 15, 2020, 03:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Case

The metal and rubber parts are the steering wheel puller I bought circa 1974-75 to work on a 1967 GT500. The wooden pieces were made by the last person to borrow what I had to use on his 1967 Shelby.

Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

98SVT - was 06GT

I have a couple steering wheel pullers that my dad had. Think of a big mag wheel lug nut with correct thread for steering box shaft - take off stock nut - thread on puller - push back on wheel with knees - hit puller with 2 lb+ hammer - wheel is off.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Quote from: GT350DAVE on April 19, 2020, 02:24:04 PM
The puller was hand made and not cheap to produce. I can get a price from the shop that produced it but you better be sitting down when you review the cost.

Maybe if 4-5 guys had one made, it would might bring the price down to just a wobble in the knees.  ;D

GT350DAVE

Quote from: JD on April 19, 2020, 03:48:54 PM
Quote from: 67 GT350 on April 19, 2020, 03:27:15 PM
I did the loosen the nut, slight pressure upward with legs, trick and it was out in 2 minutes. ( I did use a socket extension and hit that with the hammer).

^^^ +1 Me too, did take couple hard raps with the hammer
A brass or bronze drift pin and a big hammer has worked for me on a number of them. I hate hitting the steering shaft that hard however and never pull on the outside of the wheel. The welds that hold the spokes to the carbon steel inner ring are weak and easily break. An air chisel with a blunt end actually worked better. If you get one that won't budge, the puller I have is the way to go with no damage.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

acman63

SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Bob Gaines

Quote from: acman63 on April 19, 2020, 07:08:47 PM
this the easiest way to do this 

https://www.harborfreight.com/medium-barrel-air-impact-hammer-61244.html
That's what I use . No need for anything fancy. I said 20 bucks in reply # 4 . They are even cheaper now I see. For those that are scared of hurting something with this method you will not believe how minimally evasive it is .  There is no set up time other then running the steering wheel nut out to the end. It just takes a quick second pull off trigger and its done.Much better then hitting with a hammer . I have not seen a easier way.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

(Maybe hard to believe but not everyone has a compressor)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Shelby_r_b

Many thanks to Dave, as the steering wheel is off! It took me less than 1/2 turn of the tool's center bolt  before the steering wheel popped off.

Here are some pictures.

Thanks again, Dave!!
Nothing beats a classic!

Jbrooks

I've been trying to remove my steering wheel very gently over the last 3 days.  It was recommended to me to use some Free All (liquid wrench) and some gentle taps with a rubber hammer to remove the steering wheel, and to repeat this approach until the steering wheel came loose.  After multiple attempts over 72 hours, I had to try something new. 

So after reading Bob Gaines' method listed above, I ran over to Harbor Freight for the chisel attachment, cut the end off, grinded it down smooth, and in less than 1 minute I had the steering wheel was off.  Very easy approach, and thanks for sharing it! 

Here is my celebratory picture shortly after removal...  One has to celebrate the wins.
67 GT350 #2260
"If you ain't first, you're last"

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Jbrooks on May 14, 2021, 03:48:24 PM
I've been trying to remove my steering wheel very gently over the last 3 days.  It was recommended to me to use some Free All (liquid wrench) and some gentle taps with a rubber hammer to remove the steering wheel, and to repeat this approach until the steering wheel came loose.  After multiple attempts over 72 hours, I had to try something new. 

So after reading Bob Gaines' method listed above, I ran over to Harbor Freight for the chisel attachment, cut the end off, grinded it down smooth, and in less than 1 minute I had the steering wheel was off.  Very easy approach, and thanks for sharing it! 

Here is my celebratory picture shortly after removal...  One has to celebrate the wins.
Great to read about the win . It doesn't always have to be complicated. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Mine just popped off with one good tug near the hub. I hope that doesn't happen while I'm driving? ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on May 14, 2021, 06:52:53 PM
Mine just popped off with one good tug near the hub. I hope that doesn't happen while I'm driving? ::)
I have faith that you you remembered to thread on the nut and tighten it. So you should be good.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on May 14, 2021, 06:59:32 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on May 14, 2021, 06:52:53 PM
I have faith that you you remembered to thread on the nut and tighten it. So you should be good.

Faith is a powerful thing!
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Which raises the question:how tight?What is optimal torque to keep wheel on without it being a bear to remove later if needed?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 557 on May 14, 2021, 11:14:03 PM
Which raises the question:how tight?What is optimal torque to keep wheel on without it being a bear to remove later if needed?
Same as a standard Mustang wheel. It not a bear to take off regardless of torque if you take it off it like many of us including myself do.