News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

First Start. #861 last ran in 1978.

Started by rbarkley, April 17, 2020, 07:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Going Thing

Quote from: S7MS427 on April 18, 2020, 07:07:42 PM
Quote from: The Going Thing on April 18, 2020, 06:19:02 PM
Very similar cam profile.  The first cam is right on the edge to support a power booster, the second not a chance!
As for fuel mileage, I average about 7 MPG.  3.50 gears are not cruising gears.

Going Thing,

My mileage is about the same with the same rear end gear.  However, my secret weapon is a TKO600 w/.64 overdrive.  Mileage isn't helped that much but it makes long distance traveling a bit more pleasant as the RPM drops to about 2000 at 70mph. The car is pretty load with those two chamber Flow Masters.  Guess if I were to do it over again I'd choose three chamber mufflers.
[/quote

I am running Flowmaster Super 44 as well with Hooker 6114 headers. Sounds damn healthy but with no AC the window is down most of the time here and the noise is akin to riding a Harley. It can be fatiguing when driven for long periods. I will try and get a clip tomorrow and post it.

In all honesty, I think the heads I am running with the Keith Black porting and valve changes to the 2.25 int 1.75 Exh may be a bit counter-productive for bottom-end power and the cam really tends to start running out just where it really starts to hit its powerband. I would have to go pump or give up the power brakes if I went any more of a cam. I also don't want to completely give up engine durability.
I am going to have to come up with a soulution so I can drive the highway without turning 3400 at 70.

The Going Thing

Very similar cam profile.  The first cam is right on the edge to support a power booster, the second not a chance!

Going Thing,

My mileage is about the same with the same rear end gear.  However, my secret weapon is a TKO600 w/.64 overdrive.  Mileage isn't helped that much but it makes long distance traveling a bit more pleasant as the RPM drops to about 2000 at 70mph. The car is pretty load with those two chamber Flow Masters.  Guess if I were to do it over again I'd choose three chamber mufflers.

Did the 600 allow you to utilize the OE bell housing and mechanical linkage?

shelbydoug

Going Thing,

The three chamber are what they call the "hemi" mufflers. They are too long to fit within the rear seat indent in the floor pans. I use the two chamber. Exhaust noise is not an issue for me at all. In fact I'd say it's spooky quiet considering the racket in the engine compartment.

Flowmaster DOES make an original type transverse muffler with bigger internals. Camaros use them too.

I never tried it and am not sure it is worth the effort? Some think it is the 90 degree turns into the transverse muffler that cause the restriction. It's said the stock muffler is restrictive after 5,500 rpm because of the bends in the pipes.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

68krrrr

love it & congrats i'm it will be worth the wait
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

The Going Thing

I am running a 2.5" necked down for the tips.  The exhaust does go over the axle as it should. It uses all the original hangers and mounts in all locations.

My car was last titled in 1977 until I completed it passed inspection in 2018.  I bought the car in 1982. Even the most careful restorations have bugs to work out.

Greg

Quote from: rbarkley on April 18, 2020, 07:22:54 PM
Reply for Greg "I noticed the car is an automatic, are you running a stock converter?"

Yes and No.   Yes in that it was a stock c6 converter.  No in that it was completely rebuilt for 2500 stall.

Great, can't wait to see you take it out.  Unfortunately I had to go to a 2800 on mine.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

S7MS427

Quote from: The Going Thing on April 18, 2020, 07:34:28 PM

Going Thing,

Going Thing,

Bell no, linkage yes.   I've been using a Lakewood Scattershield since about 1984 when I put the first 427 in.  But the linkage has always been stock.  I did have to grind two notches in the Lakewood to clear the Hooker Super Comps.  The TKO went in very cleanly using Total Control engine mounts with a custom crossmember and polyurethane trans mount.  Engine and trans sit about 1/2 inch lower in the car.  I did use an aftermarket shifter but it comes right in the correct location in the transmission tunnel.  You can read and see photos of all this at my website.

Maybe we should start another thread if we want to continue this conversation...
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

Quote from: S7MS427 on April 18, 2020, 09:54:45 PM

Maybe we should start another thread if we want to continue this conversation...

I would like to learn more

The Going Thing

Quote from: S7MS427 on April 18, 2020, 09:54:45 PM
Quote from: The Going Thing on April 18, 2020, 07:34:28 PM

Going Thing,

Going Thing,

Bell no, linkage yes.   I've been using a Lakewood Scattershield since about 1984 when I put the first 427 in.  But the linkage has always been stock.  I did have to grind two notches in the Lakewood to clear the Hooker Super Comps.  The TKO went in very cleanly using Total Control engine mounts with a custom crossmember and polyurethane trans mount.  Engine and trans sit about 1/2 inch lower in the car.  I did use an aftermarket shifter but it comes right in the correct location in the transmission tunnel.  You can read and see photos of all this at my website.

I didn't find the installation pictures of your TKO.

S7MS427

Quote from: The Going Thing on April 19, 2020, 01:55:03 AM
I didn't find the installation pictures of your TKO.
Off the G.T.500 page go to [427 Rebuild] and then [In The Car].  Pictures are at the bottom of the page.  Navigation buttons are at the top left of the page.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

vtgt500

Quote from: Greg on April 17, 2020, 08:20:04 PM
Congratulations!  Awesome car, but say goodbye to power brakes  :) as thats a pretty good CAM and your vacuum may be too low to operate the booster, been there and done that.  Hopefully not the case.

Greg,  Good point as I too suffered from weak power brakes due to low vacuum.  About 9 years ago sent the original booster to his Holiness, Booster Dewey.  Detailed the 294S cam ran tremendously at speed, however brakes were less than optimum.  I don't know what modification were done during the rebuild, but it's flawless.  An absolute pleasure to drive.  Was certain to make sure no vacuum leaks and the vacuum canister is perfect.