News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 Steering Wheel Restoration

Started by Shelby_r_b, April 21, 2020, 09:04:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelby_r_b

2+ years ago, I restored the steering wheel on my previous 67 Shelby GT350.  During that time, I documented my steps with pictures and verbiage on Forum 1.0.  However, I didn't write down what I did, and 1.0 is long gone.

Can anyone share how they have restored their steering wheel?

Thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

67 GT350

Jeff Stephens.

Before and after, bought the car, went to move the car and BANG! My car was in a "lite or light" however you want to say it, front end bump years ago. Fast forward to today and from that minor collision, someone was not waring a seatbelt and probably broke the welds on the rim. Undiscovered danger. Can you imagine being at a SAAC track event and snapping off your wheel? Thank GOD it happen in the driveway. To this day, I do a good pull on that wheel before I drive that car.

Anyway Jeff had it tig welded, made some new plastic parts, repaired the wood, and its now in the car
I do live near him, so it was easy for me to just take it to him. I am sure there are other people out there that can do a nice job refinishing them also, but just wanted to share my experience.

Can anyone tell me how to rotate pictures on a MacBook? They appear correct in my pictures on the computer, but almost every time when posting them, some rotate.

I have seen lots of re-finished wheels and some have a "milky" look to them, I don't think you want that.
RARE  Signature Delete

BGlover67

+1 on Jeff.  He did an early '67 off no. 83 for me a few years ago:

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Shelby_r_b

Thanks guys.  I'm very familiar with Jeff's work.  And, I wanted to do this wheel myself.  So, I'm looking for suggestions on technique such as:

- Stripping the wood (sand paper used, etc.)
- Filling / correcting cracks (I have some hairline cracks on the back side of my wheel that run parallel to the black portion)
- Stain to be used
- Polyurethane / clear coat

Again, I had done this to my previous wheel, and I really enjoyed the process / would like to do it again.

Thanks again!
Nothing beats a classic!

67 GT350

If its just a simple refinish, yes you can do it and it can be fun, just make sure you use compatable materials for the black parts and a finish that will be rock hard.
RARE  Signature Delete

1 Sand off all old finish(careful to mask spoke ends so they don't get scratched) 2 .Apply Birchwood Casey tru oil gustock finish with your fingers,3 let dry and level with oooo steel wool, 4 tack dust off with thinner. Repeat steps 2-4 about 20 times.Very time consuming(days) mostly drying time.Final step is to protect it with a regular coat of Birchwood Casey gun stock wax.Deep finish.Worked well for me.This is all ,of course,assuming that your original "core" doesn't have wood damage/losses,etc. Good luck,and enjoy,it is a very satisfying process and ends in a very durable,glossy finish.

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: 557 on April 21, 2020, 12:22:42 PM
1 Sand off all old finish(careful to mask spoke ends so they don't get scratched) 2 .Apply Birchwood Casey tru oil gustock finish with your fingers,3 let dry and level with oooo steel wool, 4 tack dust off with thinner. Repeat steps 2-4 about 20 times.Very time consuming(days) mostly drying time.Final step is to protect it with a regular coat of Birchwood Casey gun stock wax.Deep finish.Worked well for me.This is all ,of course,assuming that your original "core" doesn't have wood damage/losses,etc. Good luck,and enjoy,it is a very satisfying process and ends in a very durable,glossy finish.

Thanks 557! What grit sandpaper did you use to sand off the old finish?
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

And, I'd love to see a picture of your wheel now, if you have a picture.
Nothing beats a classic!

It's been awhile,so my mind is kinda foggy on the grit,but it was progressively finer grits if I remember properly...200 ish to maybe 600/800 ish.Very important that you get off all the old finish or the Tru oil won't get into the wood and it will look crappy/uneven.