Author Topic: 1967 GT 500 restoration help required  (Read 2866 times)

steveh

• View Profile
1967 GT 500 restoration help required
« on: April 15, 2020, 06:41:49 PM »
Does anyone  have any detailed photos of :

1)  The vacuum connection on the back of the inlet manifold to brake booster.
2)  The vacuum pipe on the auto transmission (modulator)  to its connection point : where does it connect to get its vacuum supply? The part supplied by NPD gives no indication as to where it connects.
3)  Detailed photos of the connection of the front carburetor heat pipe to the exhaust manifold. This activates the choke I believe.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Steve
Retired Daytona racer

roddster

• View Profile
Re: 1967 GT 500 restoration help required
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 12:25:34 PM »
  For a more correct answer, please post the Vin number and build date.

steveh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 06:33:04 PM »
Shelby VIN # 1905
Built :   4/12 /67
Retired Daytona racer

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 08:02:04 PM »
Does anyone  have any detailed photos of :

1)  The vacuum connection on the back of the inlet manifold to brake booster.
2)  The vacuum pipe on the auto transmission (modulator)  to its connection point : where does it connect to get its vacuum supply? The part supplied by NPD gives no indication as to where it connects.
3)  Detailed photos of the connection of the front carburetor heat pipe to the exhaust manifold. This activates the choke I believe.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Steve
1) There is a vacuum fitting that screws into the back port on the C7ZX intake-Mansifield Mustang sells them  http://mansfieldmustang.com/04-01b.jpg   . The fitting can have up to 3 small nipples depending on the accessories supported. Unused nipples are rubber capped off.                                                                                                                                         
   2) The modulator valve vacuum is taken from one of the small nipples on the fitting screwed into the back of the C7ZX intake.               
   3) Sorry I cant post pictures of exhaust manifold at this time maybe later if someone else doesn't.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 08:05:38 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

steveh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 08:09:34 AM »
Thank you for that information. I suspected it went there but could not find any pictures confirming it.
The problem was that the vacuum line that I got from NPD can no way connect the modulator to the back of the intake manifold without re-bending
it quite a lot.
Retired Daytona racer

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 08:31:52 AM »
Thank you for that information. I suspected it went there but could not find any pictures confirming it.
The problem was that the vacuum line that I got from NPD can no way connect the modulator to the back of the intake manifold without re-bending
it quite a lot.

Yup. I'm not sure Ford used them "right out of the box". You need a tubing bender to get it just right and "it ain't stock" in my view. It's a strange duck.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 12:12:34 PM »
Would love to see pictures of a correct vacuum line arrangement if anybody has some.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 02:15:48 PM »
it quite a lot.
The link I posted takes you to the brass vacuum block if you click on it. I have no idea if what you got from NPD is correct or not . you do know that a rubber hose goes between the hard line and the brass nipple?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Wedgeman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 03:21:13 PM »
This is all I have..hope it helps !

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 03:35:28 PM »
HA!

That's the tube to the brake booster BUT you can see how close it is to the carb. I think you need to put it in a tube bender and get some more room out of it?

The pcv picture is funny! That picture is how you want to plumb it IF you actually want it to work BUT that's not how it was done at the factory.

The factory connection goes from the pcv to the nipple on the bottom of the air cleaner.
Why? Beats me. The system is almost completely inoperable hooked up like that?

PCV's hooked directly to the intake manifolds tend to suck some oil out of the valve covers and into the intake. It may be that there were early problems with that and essentially Ford/Shelby said screw it, run the hose to the air cleaner, that will stop dumping oil in the intake? Actually anyone's guess is as good as any on this one but the oil dumping makes the most sense to me?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Wedgeman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 03:51:23 PM »
Doug...my late 67 was plumbed pcv to air cleaner base nipple.. Tunnel Port Stroker.runs better with pcv to intake... ;D

steveh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 04:36:58 PM »
Thanks Mr Wedgeman & Bob Gaines.
I see now how it is supposed to be fitted up
Yes i have the short rubber hoses on each end of the vacuum line, but the bends do not match the contour of the transmission.
I'll have to get the brass fitting from Mansfield Mustang

Thanks again, Steve
Retired Daytona racer

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 05:08:38 PM »
Doug...my late 67 was plumbed pcv to air cleaner base nipple.. Tunnel Port Stroker.runs better with pcv to intake... ;D

I forget where the information comes from but there is something  like 25hp gained with a functioning pcv system.

It seems that negatively pressurizing the crankcase helps the rings seal better. So really an open crankcase is giving away 25hp.

I always liked a pcv system. I just use an oil separator like current cars do. That actually helps because race tracks require a catch can under the thing anyway.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 06:02:26 PM »
This is all I have..hope it helps !
If you are going to the trouble of making it look correct then the clamp used on the power booster hose is a crimp tight clamp at the metal tube and at the check valve on the booster and not the pinch together type seen red in the picture.If assemblyline look is not a priority then there are a lot of alternate possibility's.

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2020, 03:23:26 PM »
Here is a picture of the block. I am going to install factory AC so I have added the factory vacuum block.