News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 Upper Scoop Cutout?

Started by MuPaSo, April 15, 2020, 06:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MuPaSo

Can someone post or send me a photo of the upper scoop showing the opening from the front that leads to the interior?  The scoops we purchased are solid and need to be cut to allow airflow into the interior along with applying the blackout.

Thanks

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

roddster

Ah, the scoop cut out leads out of the interior, not into it

shelbydoug

What do you want a picture of?

That is the cut out in the scoop.

Do you want a picture of the roof of the car? A picture of the exterior of the scoop? What?

Apparently, I don't understand what is being asked for. Me bad.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

S7MS427

Quote from: shelbydoug on April 16, 2020, 12:25:41 PM

Do you want a picture of the roof of the car? A picture of the exterior of the scoop? What?

My guess is that he believes that these parts are scoops and doesn't realise that they are in fact "air extractors".
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

shelbydoug

Quote from: S7MS427 on April 16, 2020, 12:34:44 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on April 16, 2020, 12:25:41 PM

My guess is that he believes that these parts are scoops and doesn't realise that they are in fact "air extractors".

I don't know what he is asking for if my picture isn't it? Beats me but tell me what pictures you want and I'll see if I can help?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

MuPaSo

Thank you, no not an Eleanor, but trying to stay as true to a GT500 as we can. Here are pictures of my scoops (air extractors)  :) This is how it came back from the body shop and I don't believe it's correct. Have been searching for pics but can't seem to find this angle. This is from the front looking inside.

Other than the holes they are solid from the front. I've been told there should be a slit cut Instead of the holes and they should be blacked out but I can't find a photo reference.

Thanks!

The Going Thing

You'll love having all that water in your vehicle the first time you get caught in a downpour if you leave them like that. Free suggestion. Take it back to the idiots that put the holes in the front of the scoop and have them fiberglass the holes they drilled closed.  It may be difficult to get them to look as they should after the repairs.

S7MS427

Just to be clear about this, the air extractors are designed to let air out of the back of the "scoop".  They aren't a scoop at all.  The reason for their existance was to provide product identification between the new for '67 Shelby GTs and the all concuring '66 LeMans GT40 Mark II,  Those had four scoops on the sides (two per side).  So if the Shelby had four scoops, by God, it had to be fast!
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

MuPaSo

Thank you for the replies, so I'm clear then there is no opening at all from the front then, just the back.

Does anyone have a photo showing how the blackout is applied?  If I'm going to have them reworked I'd like the paint finish to be correct this time.

Thanks!

shelbydoug

There is no slot in the front. The inner and outter just don't touch. It must be in the order of 1/8" space.

It works on the venturi principle like a carburetor does.

The black is applied to the front (this one doesn't have it applied yet). You tape the edge and spray black in. There should be no black on the edge or exterior.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

tesgt350

Quote from: MuPaSo on April 16, 2020, 08:46:07 PM
Thank you, no not an Eleanor, but trying to stay as true to a GT500 as we can. Here are pictures of my scoops (air extractors)  :) This is how it came back from the body shop and I don't believe it's correct. Have been searching for pics but can't seem to find this angle. This is from the front looking inside.

Other than the holes they are solid from the front. I've been told there should be a slit cut Instead of the holes and they should be blacked out but I can't find a photo reference.

Thanks!

What about these two holes?  Should they be filled in as well?

shelbydoug

Yes. No holes. Run a feeler gauge through the venturi opening to make sure it isn't blocked.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

oldcanuck

.... or in layman's terms, it creates a vacuum to suck the hotter air out of the interior of the car...... Didn't Carroll say.... " The faster you drive, the better it works ! "
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN