Author Topic: The Levity Effect - Stories to Lighten the Mood  (Read 3159 times)

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
The Levity Effect - Stories to Lighten the Mood
« on: April 15, 2020, 07:26:09 PM »
Given all that has been taking place in our world lately, there is one thing that I think we could all use more of: Levity. 

For those who know me, I'm the kind of guy who finds just about anything funny (appropriately so, that is  :D).  And, as I was reflecting on some work to be done on my current 67 GT350, I realized that there are MANY stories I've stored away that, in reality, where both horrifying and funny, especially to someone other than me.

So, in that spirit, I've started this thread with the goal of transparency and (hopefully) a good laugh.  And, to break the ice, I'll go first.

The first Shelby I ever bought was a 1967 Shelby GT350 - 0022.  After my purchase, I immediately went about having the car restored.  And, as many of you already know, this takes time.  So, after over a year of waiting, the date had finally arrived for me to receive my car!  It arrived via covered carrier around 10pm on a weeknight, and I spend the next 2-3 hours driving it around.  I was elated! 

The next morning came quickly, as I had to get up early for work, and I decided to take #22 with me (we had secure covered parking and my boss parked next to me, so I figured I was safe).  At lunch, I headed out to the car for a quick trip bite to eat.  I put the key in the ignition, cranked it...and the car lurched forward...it was in gear!  To make matters much, much worse, there was a 4 foot tall concrete wall inches in front of my parked car.  Immediately following the lurch, I became extremely aware that the car had made contact with the barrier.  I turned the key to off and ran around the front to assess the damage.  The front of the fiberglass (NEWLY FINISHED fiberglass) hood was cracked and bent down about 2-3 inches from the front edge.  Luckily, this was the only damage to the car... but, what an IDIOT!!  I NEVER start a manual without first checking to see if it's in gear.  In fact, I usually spend (what seems like) 30 minutes shaking the shifter side to side just to ensure I'm NOT in gear.  Now, I had a fully restored car with a damaged hood.  I hadn't even had the car in my possession for more than 15 hours, and I "wrecked it"!

Luckily, I came into contact with some amazing people (a whole other story) who are not only Shelby / Mustang enthusiasts, but they also run a local body shop.  They came to the rescue and fixed the hood for me - no trace of my stupidity left to be found!

So, for those who seek to be humbled (and I wasn't), I received quite the heavy dose that day.

Share if you dare!  ;)
Nothing beats a classic!

Jim Herrud

• SAAC Member
  • '65 GT350 Tribute, '19 GT350 Eagle ID
    • View Profile
Re: The Levity Effect - Stories to Lighten the Mood
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 08:10:31 PM »
When I was in college, Laramie WY was (and still is) a small town with very few fast cars. One bright and sunny Saturday morning, two of my friends were walking near the main downtown intersection when they spotted me in my distinctive bronze '69 Charger waiting for a red light. They decided it would be funny to scare me. They quickly ran up from behind the car, yanked the door open and both of them hopped into the front seat and slammed the door. They were laughing when they looked over at me realized the driver wasn't me. It wasn't my car.

When they later relayed this story to me, they said the guy was recoiled up against his door looking very alarmed. My friends just stammered, "Sorry! We thought you were somebody else!" and jumped out.
Shelby Buff.
I used to be a “Vintage Car” guy. Now I’m just a “Vintage” car guy.
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - C.S.
Straight Roads are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 08:58:12 PM »
Given all that has been taking place in our world lately, there is one thing that I think we could all use more of: Levity. 

For those who know me, I'm the kind of guy who finds just about anything funny (appropriately so, that is  :D).  And, as I was reflecting on some work to be done on my current 67 GT350, I realized that there are MANY stories I've stored away that, in reality, where both horrifying and funny, especially to someone other than me.

So, in that spirit, I've started this thread with the goal of transparency and (hopefully) a good laugh.  And, to break the ice, I'll go first.

The first Shelby I ever bought was a 1967 Shelby GT350 - 0022.  After my purchase, I immediately went about having the car restored.  And, as many of you already know, this takes time.  So, after over a year of waiting, the date had finally arrived for me to receive my car!  It arrived via covered carrier around 10pm on a weeknight, and I spend the next 2-3 hours driving it around.  I was elated! 

The next morning came quickly, as I had to get up early for work, and I decided to take #22 with me (we had secure covered parking and my boss parked next to me, so I figured I was safe).  At lunch, I headed out to the car for a quick trip bite to eat.  I put the key in the ignition, cranked it...and the car lurched forward...it was in gear!  To make matters much, much worse, there was a 4 foot tall concrete wall inches in front of my parked car.  Immediately following the lurch, I became extremely aware that the car had made contact with the barrier.  I turned the key to off and ran around the front to assess the damage.  The front of the fiberglass (NEWLY FINISHED fiberglass) hood was cracked and bent down about 2-3 inches from the front edge.  Luckily, this was the only damage to the car... but, what an IDIOT!!  I NEVER start a manual without first checking to see if it's in gear.  In fact, I usually spend (what seems like) 30 minutes shaking the shifter side to side just to ensure I'm NOT in gear.  Now, I had a fully restored car with a damaged hood.  I hadn't even had the car in my possession for more than 15 hours, and I "wrecked it"!

Luckily, I came into contact with some amazing people (a whole other story) who are not only Shelby / Mustang enthusiasts, but they also run a local body shop.  They came to the rescue and fixed the hood for me - no trace of my stupidity left to be found!

So, for those who seek to be humbled (and I wasn't), I received quite the heavy dose that day.

Share if you dare!  ;)

I worked at a Mercedes dealer years ago. One of the younger guys brought his C230 in to work on it. Just had the front bumper replaced. He had it on the lift running.....in gear. He was lowering the car the flat rate way by sticking a block of wood behind the lift handle on the wall. I am working around the corner and hear him yelling for help. I walk around to see him doing his best Superman impersonation. He has got his feet against the bottom of his tool box and his hands on the front of the hood holding the car back. I dove in the driver's window and put it in park.  Scared the crap out of him. A friend of mine was there to borrow some tools. He saw what happened and says to me" Yeah, I have people like that where I work too" lol.

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 09:02:37 PM »
When I was in college, Laramie WY was (and still is) a small town with very few fast cars. One bright and sunny Saturday morning, two of my friends were walking near the main downtown intersection when they spotted me in my distinctive bronze '69 Charger waiting for a red light. They decided it would be funny to scare me. They quickly ran up from behind the car, yanked the door open and both of them hopped into the front seat and slammed the door. They were laughing when they looked over at me realized the driver wasn't me. It wasn't my car.

When they later relayed this story to me, they said the guy was recoiled up against his door looking very alarmed. My friends just stammered, "Sorry! We thought you were somebody else!" and jumped out.

At the same Mercedes dealer I worked with two guys who both drove beater cars to work and like to play practical and not so practical jokes on each other like bumping into the other guys car at a red light. Well the one guy bumped into the other guy on the way to work one morning only to find out it wasn't him. It was some woman with an identical beater car. She got out and started cursing him. Lucky for him it didn't do any damage.

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 09:48:52 PM »
Lots of Jack Daniels.....19 years old.....Try to impress my buddies by doing a reverse burnout out of my parents garage....Didn’t realize my buddies econoline work van was parked about 6 feet behind it....The burnout was about 8 feet.....Well,it WAS an all original body panel car BEFORE this....Whoops.......Won’t say it is THE stupidest thing I have ever done,but it ranks pretty damn high....
 ::)

csheff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 10:35:28 PM »
In the very early days of ownership I had my car 67 500 painted, the day I went to pick it up which was roughly 1-1 1/2 miles from my parents house with my buddy. Well we laid the hood on the car and got talking with the painter for a while and forgot to pin the hood down before we left for home. We came out of the side street and got stopped at the light. When it turned green I took off not hard but enough with the wind and I could see the hood moving, let off the gas but guess what yep to late the wind caught that hood and off it went. Just touched the area behind the passenger side scoop and landed right side up. My buddy somehow let someone in between him and I and I'm watching the hood laying there, yep that car behind me went right over it I was freaking out. After crossing the intersection there was a bank on the corner, I turned into it's lot. My buddy stopped behind the hood and as I ran over to it could not believe my eyes as it was intact with some scratches around the edges. But I saw that car run over it and it bowed it without breaking it. Anyway we picked the hood up put it back on the car and I drove so slow til I got home. Later after I got the hood attached I took it back to get touched up.

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 10:47:12 PM »
In the very early days of ownership I had my car 67 500 painted, the day I went to pick it up which was roughly 1-1 1/2 miles from my parents house with my buddy. Well we laid the hood on the car and got talking with the painter for a while and forgot to pin the hood down before we left for home. We came out of the side street and got stopped at the light. When it turned green I took off not hard but enough with the wind and I could see the hood moving, let off the gas but guess what yep to late the wind caught that hood and off it went. Just touched the area behind the passenger side scoop and landed right side up. My buddy somehow let someone in between him and I and I'm watching the hood laying there, yep that car behind me went right over it I was freaking out. After crossing the intersection there was a bank on the corner, I turned into it's lot. My buddy stopped behind the hood and as I ran over to it could not believe my eyes as it was intact with some scratches around the edges. But I saw that car run over it and it bowed it without breaking it. Anyway we picked the hood up put it back on the car and I drove so slow til I got home. Later after I got the hood attached I took it back to get touched up.

That is a cool story!
RARE  Signature Delete

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 11:18:25 PM »
These are AWESOME!  I didn't even think of practical jokes...

When I was in the Air Force on active duty, I served in aircraft maintenance.  We maintenance people were notorious for playing practical jokes on each other - its amazing that we never got punished!

It wasn't uncommon to mess with the maintenance truck of another aircraft maintenance team.  Each team (usually consisting of 6-8 aircraft maintainers) would have these huge "bread trucks".  There would be a driver and passenger seat, and the back of the truck was fully covered with plywood sides, roof and doors with side / back windows and benches along each side for people to sit.  We'd then put our toolboxes in the middle and drive out to the aircraft to perform maintenance.

Man, we did everything to those trucks.  We put rocks in each other's hub caps, zip ties to the axle "What is that noise?", and it wasn't uncommon to sneak up on an unsuspecting truck and "chalk" the tires with aircraft sized chalks.  Yeah, they weren't going anywhere.

The best prank (IMO) had to be the time we had another team's driver operating our truck.  He stopped at a near by hanger to use the restroom.  While he was away, we pulled the wiper fluid hose from the squirters on the driver's side of the hood, pulled it back through the firewall, and zip tied it to the bottom of the steering column - directed straight at the driver's...well, you know.  Then, we smeared dirt all over the windshield.  When the driver returned, it was everything we could do not to laugh - it was like being in church when something funny happens.  He takes one look through the windshield, squints, reaches for the wiper fluid lever, and cranks the lever back.  It must have taken him 30 seconds to realize that the wiper fluid wasn't coming out on his side of the windshield...that, or the raucous laughter coming from the benches behind him.  To this day, I still laugh out loud when I remember the look on his face as his head slowly panned down to his nether regions to realize he looked to have peed his pants. 

Awesome.  I miss those days...sometimes.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 11:20:43 PM by Shelby_r_b »
Nothing beats a classic!

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 11:44:27 PM »
We used to something like that with the older Mercedes that had little wiper blades on the headlamps. There was washer fluid going to them also. The washer tank was heated by a small coiled tube in the tank that had engine coolant going through it. We would pull the hose off where the tube came through the head lamp bezel so it would squirt straight out. Just sit in the car and wait for someone to walk in between it and the work bench and blast them. It felt you peed yourself because it was warm.

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 06:41:04 AM »
These are AWESOME!  I didn't even think of practical jokes...

When I was in the Air Force on active duty, I served in aircraft maintenance.  We maintenance people were notorious for playing practical jokes on each other - its amazing that we never got punished!

It wasn't uncommon to mess with the maintenance truck of another aircraft maintenance team.  Each team (usually consisting of 6-8 aircraft maintainers) would have these huge "bread trucks".  There would be a driver and passenger seat, and the back of the truck was fully covered with plywood sides, roof and doors with side / back windows and benches along each side for people to sit.  We'd then put our toolboxes in the middle and drive out to the aircraft to perform maintenance.

Man, we did everything to those trucks.  We put rocks in each other's hub caps, zip ties to the axle "What is that noise?", and it wasn't uncommon to sneak up on an unsuspecting truck and "chalk" the tires with aircraft sized chalks.  Yeah, they weren't going anywhere.

The best prank (IMO) had to be the time we had another team's driver operating our truck.  He stopped at a near by hanger to use the restroom.  While he was away, we pulled the wiper fluid hose from the squirters on the driver's side of the hood, pulled it back through the firewall, and zip tied it to the bottom of the steering column - directed straight at the driver's...well, you know.  Then, we smeared dirt all over the windshield.  When the driver returned, it was everything we could do not to laugh - it was like being in church when something funny happens.  He takes one look through the windshield, squints, reaches for the wiper fluid lever, and cranks the lever back.  It must have taken him 30 seconds to realize that the wiper fluid wasn't coming out on his side of the windshield...that, or the raucous laughter coming from the benches behind him.  To this day, I still laugh out loud when I remember the look on his face as his head slowly panned down to his nether regions to realize he looked to have peed his pants. 

Awesome.  I miss those days...sometimes.

That's one of the funniest stories I've ever read in my whole life! Thank you so much for posting!

Steve

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 12:46:25 PM »
  Had to be about 1973.  I had taken over my dad's garage.  So parked next to my Shelby, was my rather new CJ-5 Jeep.  And, for a period there in my life work was starting at 5:00AM (I called it undertime), so I had to get up at 4;00AM to get to work on time.
  One morning I got up a little late, quickly got dressed and out to the garage I went.  I reached into the window of the Jeep to start it.  Sure enough, it caught right away, and drove itself right through the garage wall, shearing off about 5 studs.
   No damage to the Jeep, no damage to the Shelby, nothing parked in front of the Jeep.  Just the wall with the nose of the Jeep poking through it.  Just trying to get to work a few seconds earlier.

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 03:55:16 PM »
Continuing on the "fun with windshield squirters" theme:

When we were stupid 16-17 year-olds with our first cars, many nights cruising around our town turned into races/chases with other guys from our high school. That morphed into no-holds-barred food fights between the cars, and the "anything goes" mindset against the guys in the other cars.

My buddy re-wired his windshield washer pump to activate off its own switch, instead of being part of the wiper circuit.  He then turned the squirters to aim sideways, and they would put out a stream capable of shooting 15 or so feet. 

But, before venturing onto the streets armed with our new secret weapon, one of us had the bright idea that we all needed to piss into the washer reservoir.  So we did.  Our first victim was the guy we had the biggest food-fight rivalry with.  At a stoplight, I yelled to him "Hey, let's take a night off from the food fight."  He rolled down his window with a thumb's up, and we let him have it in the face with the golden stream.  He assumed the fluid was water until we yelled "That was piss, MF'er" and peeled out.

Good times.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 03:59:09 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

Tired Sheep

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 04:25:06 PM »
And this is where the great Shelby forum has ended up. 👏

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 04:29:14 PM »
No disrespect to the forum.   But, I think the title of this thread should be a clue as to its content.   

Just car guys having a moment of fun in the midst of a stressful situation. 
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2020, 04:31:51 PM »
A fun read actually, but still enjoy all the ever developing histories of SA and the cars.   As far as the pranks, anything like that these days is likely to encounter someone packing heat and limited sense of humor.  8)