News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Original water pump / fan pulley

Started by Greg, April 15, 2020, 08:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

I cleaned the pulley up and repainted it.  The interesting thing is, the number was clear on the front so I put a piece of tape over it to preserve it when I repainted it and the new paint matches perfect with the old... Really happy about that!

I also cleaned up the washer pump and happy with how it is turning out and it works  :)

Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

deathsled

It's looking good.  Amazing to think these parts are over half a century old and still going.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Greg

It truly is, the quality was truly built to last.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Greg on April 15, 2020, 08:20:51 PM
I cleaned the pulley up and repainted it.  The interesting thing is, the number was clear on the front so I put a piece of tape over it to preserve it when I repainted it and the new paint matches perfect with the old... Really happy about that!

I also cleaned up the washer pump and happy with how it is turning out and it works  :)
Typically the single groove pulleys are metal stamped into the metal for identification. The multi groove pulleys that are made from spot welding multiple pulleys together are the ones typically with a ink stamp on the front face.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Greg

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 16, 2020, 01:07:11 AM

Typically the single groove pulleys are metal stamped into the metal for identification. The multi groove pulleys that are made from spot welding multiple pulleys together are the ones typically with a ink stamp on the front face.

Thanks Bob, I received another pulley with the engine and I will look at it too.  So would the inked stamped fan pulleys be service replacements?     

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Greg on April 16, 2020, 07:02:02 AM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 16, 2020, 01:07:11 AM

Thanks Bob, I received another pulley with the engine and I will look at it too.  So would the inked stamped fan pulleys be service replacements?   
Not necessarily however the vast majority had the engineering number metal stamped into the pulley. It is most likely a alternate pulley MFG that didn't metal stamp them and ink stamped them for Identification instead . I have seen them before without the metal stamping . Because the ink is fragile it does not survive well. That is the correct engineering number but I don't typically save that kind when I am out searching because it is hard to identify application without a measuring tape on a unstamped one. There are some that are unmarked that are real close but not as deep. It will most likely be questioned as incorrect because it is unusual . Your response should be as I explained.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Greg

I just looked at the pulley again and the stamped number is there as well. 

CharlesTurner

I believe in the Bob Mannel book there is note of an earlier 289 water pump pulley with no part number stamping.  In that case, there probably was an ink stamping of the engineering number.  I know I've had a few of these over the years.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

gt350hr

Oh boy , Pookie is probably ordering a new rubber stamp as we speak! he will have "found a stash" of assembly line pullies.
     IMHO ( only) the ink stamped version is more likely to be an assembly line part , but that is ''just" my opinion from my observations over the last 55 years of automotive awareness. It does appear more often on multiple groove pullies as Bob mentioned. I have also seen the Ford "block letters" in yellow ink on 390-428CJ water pump pullies.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

shelbydoug

In my circles, the ink stamp is the exception rather then the rule. In 50 years, I think I seen one, maybe two ink stamped pulleys but that is probably because of my applications.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on April 17, 2020, 12:44:29 PM
In my circles, the ink stamp is the exception rather then the rule. In 50 years, I think I seen one, maybe two ink stamped pulleys but that is probably because of my applications.
The ink stamp is typical for pulleys that do not have a metal stamped engineering number. Ford required some way to identify the pulley. As I mentioned before it is typically seen on the multi groove pulleys that are made by spot welding interlocking separate pulleys together. Those pulleys made from multiple pulleys are common on BB and later cars that have more accessories . Those typically do not have any metal stamping numbers hence the ink stamp. Since Greg says that his pulley has the metal stamped engineering number there is no reason for the ink stamp and it would be the first one I have seen or heard of with two stamps one of each kind. Maybe others have.

Greg

I thought it was odd that it had both and maybe I found the holy grail... LOL