News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Mico Master Cylinder - 1966 Hertz Shelby

Started by anghelrestorations, March 08, 2018, 12:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anghelrestorations

Im working on a early 1966 4 Speed Hertz Shelby and getting ready to put the brakes back on.  Installing the Mico master cylinder and looking for any details on if these were painted or not when installed.  Not sure if anyone has come across any vintage photos from that time would be great to see. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

J_Speegle

Have you confirmed that the car your working on originally came with that type of master cylinder given its an early one?

Just a thought
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

98SVT - was 06GT

843s was natural cast iron. Somewhere I have a picture of it from 1975. If I remember there was an aluminum cap that was anodized blue?
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

gt350hr

6S477 original - no paint.  NOS replacement bought from Ford dealer in '74 - no paint. Aluminum hex nut - blue anodized. Cap - cad / dull zinc plated.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Rocket

Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on March 08, 2018, 01:08:38 AM
Have you confirmed that the car your working on originally came with that type of master cylinder given its an early one?

Just a thought
+1 .  The registry comes in handy in determining that detail.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

anghelrestorations

Thanks for the input all....and yes confirmed a while back that this car had the Mico master cylinder so we are good there. 
Anyone have the ability to post a photo....or email me and I can post here.  Curious about the blue anodized cap. 

This is what I have now.  I am going to assume the brackets are not painted either.

IMG_9967 by Marcus Anghel, on Flickr
Marcus Anghel

Bob Gaines

Quote from: anghelrestorations on March 08, 2018, 06:16:30 PM
Thanks for the input all....and yes confirmed a while back that this car had the Mico master cylinder so we are good there. 
Anyone have the ability to post a photo....or email me and I can post here.  Curious about the blue anodized cap. 

This is what I have now.  I am going to assume the brackets are not painted either.

IMG_9967 by Marcus Anghel, on Flickr
I have seen the brackets painted black more so then flash rust like they would be if left bare steel. Also it looks like you are missing the cylinder shaped ID tag that went around the metal  bypass tube. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

I too have seen the mounting plates black or at least what was remaining of the black.

An example from someone else offered earlier

Sure you have seen the discussions related to the proportioning valve being finished in black but wanted to mention that detail since its in your picture
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

anghelrestorations

Ok thanks.  Easy enough to paint those pieces black. 
Still think this is the ugliest master cylinder I have ever seen on a Mustang.  Will be interesting to see how it operates once on the road. 

And for the proportioning valve, yes, have those details but just had this in the photo there.  Still need to detail that. 
Marcus Anghel

Bob Gaines

Quote from: anghelrestorations on March 08, 2018, 07:16:04 PM
Ok thanks.  Easy enough to paint those pieces black. 
Still think this is the ugliest master cylinder I have ever seen on a Mustang. Will be interesting to see how it operates once on the road. 

And for the proportioning valve, yes, have those details but just had this in the photo there.  Still need to detail that.
Don't get your hopes up. ;)

gt350hr

Marcus,
         The large aluminum hex fitting under the brass fitting was "medium blue anodized " originally. They often fade. Both brackets are painted black and you appear to have the "upgraded" brackets. Mine were replaced under warranty at Hi Performance Motors and SAI was charged. I have the copies. Also note in Jeff's photo that the lower attaching bolt on the adapter to the firewall are smaller. They are in fact header bolts. 6S477 and at least twenty others I've seen have them but only the two lower bolts. The upper two are "normal" , likely because they were the originals reused.
    A fully functioning "mico system" provides excellent braking despite it's ugliness.
   Randy

anghelrestorations

Thanks Randy....interesting details.  I did not even notice the difference in the bolts but see them in the photo now. 
I guess soon enough I will see what the brakes do on this car. 
Marcus Anghel

anghelrestorations

I guess one added follow up question here is how to bleed the actual master cylinder would be good to know since I never used this one.  I assume the bleeder on top serves for that function? 
Marcus Anghel

gt350hr

Yes it is for bleeding the master. Very convenient.