News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Mico Master Cylinder - 1966 Hertz Shelby

Started by anghelrestorations, March 08, 2018, 12:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anghelrestorations

Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

gt350hr

Bob ,
      The fill cap on the master picture you posted is not consistent with originals like the "square top" in Jeff's photo. The "D shaped" ring on the fluid transfer tube is also not typical to "production" masters on original cars. I have only seen one ring on all those I've looked at since '74.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: gt350hr on March 13, 2018, 10:28:28 AM
  Bob ,
      The fill cap on the master picture you posted is not consistent with originals like the "square top" in Jeff's photo. The "D shaped" ring on the fluid transfer tube is also not typical to "production" masters on original cars. I have only seen one ring on all those I've looked at since '74.
    Randy
Randy, I have seen a number of the tube like id tags before on various survivor like H cars over the years.  I have seen enough in those kind of context that it is the reason for my opinion. Maybe not on all cars but at least on a few. Part of the reason for my opinion is the fact that when a Mico needed to be replaced it wasn't all that common to know where to get another so they were typically replaced with a Ford Master then a Mico so finding one still on a car that was meant to have one is more the exception then the rule IMO. When you do find them they are mostly originals. My first experience with a Hertz car was around 73/74 also. We replaced the mico off my family members car thinking it was some kind of jerry rigged replacement. ;D  I do however agree with the fill cap style not being typical and is some kind of replacement done when the other was lost or replaced because the square style was harder to take off in real world usage . The picture was more for the blue anodized cap example being discussed at the time.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

Bob ,
       No problem , I always respect your observations. Mine for example had never been off of the car when I bought it in '74 and it wasn't there. I looked at an easy 20 Hertz cars before I bought 477.  None had the ring. It wasn't until later when I saw the ring on one car and that is the only one "I" have ever seen. Because of that  "I" thought the I.D. ring was an oddity. I am adjusting my opinion to "some with and some without". The NOS unit I bought from Ford ( around $34) in late '74 did not have the I.D ring either. I think I still have the receipt. LOL
    Thanks for straightening me out!
       Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Rocket

I bought 550 in 1967, and it had no I D ring on the transfer tube. I've still got that master cylinder, although it has a big hole in it, from a clutch explosion back in 1983. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

anghelrestorations

Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

azcobra

Marcus-
This may be a little late--

But here are pics of mine (before we re-did it)-
Note metal ID band
Also regarding bleeding the unit-- I had a very in-depth conversation with Brad at MICO-

These were quickie notes that I took during the call last summer--
Note that it is very important to bench bleed BEFORE you install it-- (it's possible to do once in car -- but tough and results vary)

Excuse the shorthand note taking---

Conversation with Brad at Mico (Technical help) last summer--

Need part number on front of unit — (not numbers on sides)— Those are casting #'s

Can order a rebuild kit —(3 week lead time)-
but may not need  See notes below-

Brad at Mico
1 800 477 6426

bstage@mico.com

Most likely needs to be Bench Bleed-

Possible to do while in the car but many times you can not-
From a bleeder on the unit
Run a nylon tube that goes below the reservoir (so it can be bled)  — Pump till all bubbles out— Must hit hard stop or useless process-
Then keep hitting hard stop—
Could take 15 –25 times
After no bubbles — Need to do another 10 times!
The idea is that you are putting velocity of fluid through that catch air bubbles— (vs pushing air bubbles)
Very difficult to do compared to a normal master cylinder-

Measure the pushrod stroke— Needs to be 1.5" of travel (or it is fruitless)-
If poor results then you must bench bleed by removing master cylinder and carefully putting in vice (no scratchy)
— Put a fitting at outlet to put hose back into reservoirs with dowel then use to push it- always to hard stop —

Then re-install and bleed some more-

This is exactly how I was instructed-- We did it and it worked-- (don't shoot the messenger :)  )

Can buy a rebuild kit once we know the part # of Mico Unit which is located at end of unit-

I hope that helps either you or others!!

Car stops fine-- but it's a "different" feel then the regular Mustang masters-

Good Luck!!

Jim

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on April 05, 2018, 11:57:12 AM
Looks better than new, fantastic job
That's because there is no sound deadener /sealer on the firewall or around the unit (remnants after Ford unit was replaced) like the messy job that the factory did.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby