News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Friday April 17th, 1964

Started by FL SAAC, April 16, 2020, 09:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

On Friday April 17, 1964, Ford rolled out the Mustang, introducing a new class of sporty car to the world. Happy birthday !
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Side-Oilers

I remember it like it was 56 years ago.  Was walking to school weeks afterward and saw the first Mustang in our neighborhood.  A white coupe.  It was a big deal.

Then the mom of a friend of mine brought home a Caspian Blue 'vert.  That was an ever bigger deal. My first ride in one. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

Rocket

My dad was the shop foreman at my hometown Ford dealer, and I worked in the parts department when the first Mustang was delivered. I saw the man park it and went to look at it. The keys were in the ignition, so I yelled at my dad"Let's go for a ride."  He came out and got in the passenger seat, and away we went for about a 6 or 8 block ride. It was a white coupe , 6 cylinder, 3 speed with red interior. I was told that the very first Mustang that every dealer was equiped like that one. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

deathsled

I was 10 months old when the Mustang was released. I waited a long time to drive one. 15 years for my first car, a 19y9 Mustang Coupe. The wait was worth it.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Dwathencars

My father bought a new Ford about every other year, and had ordered a Mustang.  When the first truckload arrived at Allen County Motors in Ft Wayne, In -  he got a call to come pick out which one he wanted.  I went along, I was 12 years old.
My father was a Teamster truck driver (which I remind people that in the 60's meant upper middle class pay, but gone a lot of hours) and he was very frugal.  We drove home a yellow coupe with the only options being seat belts and AM radio.
So it was equipped with a 3 speed with non-synchro first, 170 cu in 6 cyl, and I think a generator. About $1800.  And we were the coolest people around every place we went.
That Mustang and the experiences with it  got me started enjoying fun cars.   
CSX 2367.   Jaguar SS100,XK120, Etype, Mercedes 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet, 1961 Maserati Vignale Spyder

deathsled

Great story and thank you for sharing. Looks like you picked up a Cobra along the way among others.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bill Collins

I had turned 15 the month before, was still a year away from my driver's license, but already an avowed motorhead. I got my dad to take me to Francis For Fords in Harrisburg to see it. I remember walking through the showroom door and a seeing my first Mustang ever, a Poppy Red 6 cylinder 3 speed coupe. I sat in it and recall that it was the first car that felt like it fit me.

That September I saw my first fastback in the same showroom, a Twilight Turquoise 289 automatic with a black interior. Then in November my first Shelby ever, again in the same showroom - a '66 carryover 6S101. I got a photo that time.

In the summer of '65 Ford ran a promotion - Send us a dollar and we'll send you a Mustang! So I dug into my lawn mowing money, sent them a buck and became the "original owner" of the Arcadian Blue coupe pictured below. Still have it in the original box sent to my parents' address.
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

Side-Oilers

Quote from: Bill Collins on April 17, 2020, 06:04:47 PM
I had turned 15 the month before, was still a year away from my driver's license, but already an avowed motorhead. I got my dad to take me to Francis For Fords in Harrisburg to see it. I remember walking through the showroom door and a seeing my first Mustang ever, a Poppy Red 6 cylinder 3 speed coupe. I sat in it and recall that it was the first car that felt like it fit me.

That September I saw my first fastback in the same showroom, a Twilight Turquoise 289 automatic with a black interior. Then in November my first Shelby ever, again in the same showroom - a '66 carryover 6S101. I got a photo that time.

In the summer of '65 Ford ran a promotion - Send us a dollar and we'll send you a Mustang! So I dug into my lawn mowing money, sent them a buck and became the "original owner" of the Arcadian Blue coupe pictured below. Still have it in the original box sent to my parents' address.

VERY COOL story and photos!
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

FL SAAC

Great and memorable times

Thanks for sharing

Quote from: Side-Oilers on April 16, 2020, 10:02:53 PM
I remember it like it was 56 years ago.  Was walking to school weeks afterward and saw the first Mustang in our neighborhood.  A white coupe.  It was a big deal.

Then the mom of a friend of mine brought home a Caspian Blue 'vert.  That was an ever bigger deal. My first ride in one.

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Priceless moments

Thanks for sharing

Quote from: Rocket on April 17, 2020, 10:54:51 AM
My dad was the shop foreman at my hometown Ford dealer, and I worked in the parts department when the first Mustang was delivered. I saw the man park it and went to look at it. The keys were in the ignition, so I yelled at my dad"Let's go for a ride."  He came out and got in the passenger seat, and away we went for about a 6 or 8 block ride. It was a white coupe , 6 cylinder, 3 speed with red interior. I was told that the very first Mustang that every dealer was equiped like that one. Ron

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

It was meant to be

Thanks for sharing

Quote from: deathsled on April 17, 2020, 11:36:21 AM
I was 10 months old when the Mustang was released. I waited a long time to drive one. 15 years for my first car, a 19y9 Mustang Coupe. The wait was worth it.

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

What an experience

Thanks for sharing

Quote from: Dwathencars on April 17, 2020, 01:33:43 PM
My father bought a new Ford about every other year, and had ordered a Mustang.  When the first truckload arrived at Allen County Motors in Ft Wayne, In -  he got a call to come pick out which one he wanted.  I went along, I was 12 years old.
My father was a Teamster truck driver (which I remind people that in the 60's meant upper middle class pay, but gone a lot of hours) and he was very frugal.  We drove home a yellow coupe with the only options being seat belts and AM radio.
So it was equipped with a 3 speed with non-synchro first, 170 cu in 6 cyl, and I think a generator. About $1800.  And we were the coolest people around every place we went.
That Mustang and the experiences with it  got me started enjoying fun cars.

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Very kool story and pictures

Thanks for sharing

Quote from: Bill Collins on April 17, 2020, 06:04:47 PM

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Again Happy Birthday Mustang lets see what excitement  2021 brings us all !

I have all UNGOLD cars