News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

67 Shelby w/ AMFM radio

Started by shelbyhertz66, April 17, 2020, 03:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

There are people that will make your AM radio into an AMFM tuner and not change the appearance, also another cool move

JD

Quote from: acapulco350 on April 21, 2020, 03:21:30 PM
These are very cool radios

just had this one fixed up for my 67

and nobody objects to it being there like Royce said

The car I had, had one just like it when I got the car.  (I left it in)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

GT350DAVE

Had a an AMFM radio in my 67 for over 35 years. It is hardly listened to but when you need it, it is great.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

roddster

I'm with you Dave.  Easy enough to change out.  Four screws and a nut on the back, couple of wires to unplug.

S7MS427

Quote from: roddster on April 22, 2020, 12:37:48 PM
Easy enough to change out.  Four screws and a nut on the back, couple of wires to unplug.

They knew what they were doing when they designed that installation.  Couldn't be easier.  Of course I don't currently have one in my car, couldn't hear it over the exhaust anyway.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

6s2055

My '67 GT 500 (#0962) had an AM/FM radio. I bought that new from S&C Ford. It had been in their inventory about three days. For some reason I thought there were speakers in the lower door panels. The radio had a slide switch to go from AM to FM. This car was different as had no strips and hubcaps. Can't really imagine S & C switching out the radio before it sold to me.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6s2055 on April 23, 2020, 11:41:06 PM
My '67 GT 500 (#0962) had an AM/FM radio. I bought that new from S&C Ford. It had been in their inventory about three days. For some reason I thought there were speakers in the lower door panels. The radio had a slide switch to go from AM to FM. This car was different as had no strips and hubcaps. Can't really imagine S & C switching out the radio before it sold to me.
Speakers only came in the doors with a AM 8 track option. The AM FM in 67 was mono not stereo . The car may be different now with no stripes given many still think they all came that way . When new 67 Shelby's did not come with Le Mans from SA. Hubcaps were the base wheel for a 67 Shelby so many came with them when new.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SHELB66

A very cool addition to your mono '67 AM/FM would be the "FM Stereo Multiplex Adapter".  It plugged into the side of the radio and transformed the signal into stereo.  Now you would really need 2 speakers!  This is very, very rare.  The multiplexer was made by Bendix, same as the factory AM/FM.  The first one I came across was found many, many years ago.  I never knew just what I had!
I believe it has FoMoCo marked on the front bezel.

Craig R. 
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

Royce Peterson

Actually those boxes changed Mono into Mono with reverb. I have owned a few. Knew a girl when I wa in high school whose mother had a '67 Lincoln Continental 2 door coupe equipped with one. The sound kind of reminded me of listening the the old song "Crimson and Clover" over and over.

Quote from: SHELB66 on April 24, 2020, 11:21:41 PM
A very cool addition to your mono '67 AM/FM would be the "FM Stereo Multiplex Adapter".  It plugged into the side of the radio and transformed the signal into stereo.  Now you would really need 2 speakers!  This is very, very rare.  The multiplexer was made by Bendix, same as the factory AM/FM.  The first one I came across was found many, many years ago.  I never knew just what I had!
I believe it has FoMoCo marked on the front bezel.

Craig R.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Richstang

Quote from: Royce Peterson on April 18, 2020, 09:24:36 AM
If it happened at the factory it would be on the Marti Report. If it happened at any time after the car left Ford then it would not be on the report.

Quote from: shelbyhertz66 on April 17, 2020, 03:56:07 PM
Hi All,
So I was wondering if a 67 Shelby has an AM/FM ford radio
that was factory installed would that be noted on the Marty report?
my car has one but it could have been installed by a previous owner.
Thanks for any ideas.

+1
That's why the SAI paperwork is so important.
It shows how the car was completed by SAI with any options added, not just how it was delivered to LAX by Ford.
SAI papers are more important than the Marti's, in my opinion.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

csheff

There was a reverb unit in my car when I bought it in 74. Still have it somewhere.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: csheff on June 22, 2020, 08:50:32 AM
There was a reverb unit in my car when I bought it in 74. Still have it somewhere.
So that others reading can understand context, those were cool non original things(although some could be had over the Ford parts counter) to add in our cars back in the day because it made the radio sound similar to stereo. They typically got junked or put on the shelf when stereo radios/tape decks became available that would fit in place of the stock radio.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbyhertz66

Pretty interesting stuff.
As the original poster on this I do have an update on my 67's ford AM/FM.
Even though i have a ton of documents on this car nothing had mentioned an AM/FM ,so I
decided to contact the SAAC registrar to see if they had any more paperwork that I did not already have ,sometimes
over the years different doc's are found for your specific car and they will send you copy's for a small fee. They had
the 67 GT350/500 production order for my car and also some letters from past owners and in one of them an owner
mentioned that he had upgraded to a Ford AM/FM . Mystery solved . I wish it would have been factory but I have no
plans to change it.
Dave

Richstang

Quote from: shelbyhertz66 on June 24, 2020, 10:49:37 AM
Pretty interesting stuff.
As the original poster on this I do have an update on my 67's ford AM/FM.
Even though i have a ton of documents on this car nothing had mentioned an AM/FM ,so I
decided to contact the SAAC registrar to see if they had any more paperwork that I did not already have ,sometimes
over the years different doc's are found for your specific car and they will send you copy's for a small fee. They had
the 67 GT350/500 production order for my car and also some letters from past owners and in one of them an owner
mentioned that he had upgraded to a Ford AM/FM . Mystery solved . I wish it would have been factory but I have no
plans to change it.
Dave

Hi Dave,
Would you mind sharing the Shelby VIN with us?. We can check if the car was built at San Jose equipped with or without an AM radio.
I hope you don't mind my curiosity.
It's great to hear you contacted the registrar directly for any Documents you may not have.

Richstang

Quote from: shlby66 on April 17, 2020, 04:49:18 PM

I bought my '67 GT350, brand new ( right off the showroom floor ), in May, of 1967,  at Rich Ford,
      Albuquerque, NM. It was delivered, with the Ford AM radio.

I think most, if not all, '67's, got the AM radio.

Doug

Hi Doug,

Only 462 cars are known to have the AM radio installed at San Jose. The remaining did not.
We have this subject detailed in depth on the 67 Shelby research group. Here's a link to this topic.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/shelbyresearch/hYukQMTGYN0