News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

67 Shelby w/ AMFM radio

Started by shelbyhertz66, April 17, 2020, 03:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Richstang on June 24, 2020, 01:14:01 PM
Quote from: shlby66 on April 17, 2020, 04:49:18 PM

I bought my '67 GT350, brand new ( right off the showroom floor ), in May, of 1967,  at Rich Ford,
      Albuquerque, NM. It was delivered, with the Ford AM radio.

I think most, if not all, '67's, got the AM radio.

Doug

Hi Doug,

Only 462 cars are known to have the AM radio installed at San Jose. The remaining did not.
We have this subject detailed in depth on the 67 Shelby research group. Here's a link to this topic.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/shelbyresearch/hYukQMTGYN0
Don't you think you should say something about cars that got radios installed at SA/Highperformance Motors in the same way 66 GT350's typically got radios installed? Otherwise you give a skewed perception of how many left SA with and without radios. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Richstang

Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 24, 2020, 02:25:49 PM

I bought my '67 GT350, brand new ( right off the showroom floor ), in May, of 1967,  at Rich Ford,

Doug

Hi Doug,

Only 462 cars are known to have the AM radio installed at San Jose. The remaining did not.
We have this subject detailed in depth on the 67 Shelby research group. Here's a link to this topic.
Don't you think you should say something about cars that got radios installed at SA/Highperformance Motors in the same way 66 GT350's typically got radios installed? Otherwise you give a skewed perception of how many left SA with and without radios. ;)

For years all we've been hearing is that most if not all '67 Shelby's received radio's at SJ. We now know that is not true, thanks to the research we're doing in the SRG.
I just wanted to re-inforce that the SVOs, DSOs, POs, & Marti's indicate otherwise.
How many were installed by SAI was not the question, so I didn't feel the need to cover it in my post.
Anyone who wanted to know more detail could refer to the topic posted on the SRG in the link, I posted.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Richstang on June 24, 2020, 03:26:19 PM

Doug

Hi Doug,

For years all we've been hearing is that most if not all '67 Shelby's received radio's at SJ. We now know that is not true, thanks to the research we're doing in the SRG.
I just wanted to re-inforce that the SVOs, DSOs, POs, & Marti's indicate otherwise.
How many were installed by SAI was not the question, so I didn't feel the need to cover it in my post.
Anyone who wanted to know more detail could refer to the topic posted on the SRG in the link, I posted.
Rich, nether was it asked how many radios were installed at SJ . The quote is "I think most, if not all, '67's, got the AM rad" . Given the question was no doubt asked about completed 67 Shelby's it gives a incomplete picture of how many 67's got radios if both SJ and SA are not considered .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Richstang

Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 24, 2020, 03:38:36 PM

Doug

Hi Doug,

Rich, nether was it asked how many radios were installed at SJ . The quote is "I think most, if not all, '67's, got the AM rad" . Given the question was no doubt asked about completed 67 Shelby's it gives a incomplete picture of how many 67's got radios if both SJ and SA are not considered .

Bob, I'm glad you have changed your position and now can see that AM radios were not standard equipment on '67 Shelby's built at San Jose.
It's nice to know you're reading the SRG posts and seeing our continued research.
Yes, I should have mentioned our current guess of about 50% of the cars having radios installed by SAI along with the 462 equipped from SJ.

We do see that SAI installations were typically AM radio only and on rare occasions AM/FM.
These were likely done at [HPM2] Hi-Performance Motors on Sepulveda Blvd, but no paperwork has been found to confirm that.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Richstang on June 24, 2020, 10:14:49 PM

Doug

Hi Doug,

Bob, I'm glad you have changed your position and now can see that AM radios were not standard equipment on '67 Shelby's built at San Jose.
It's nice to know you're reading the SRG posts and seeing our continued research.
Yes, I should have mentioned our current guess of about 50% of the cars having radios installed by SAI along with the 462 equipped from SJ.

We do see that SAI installations were typically AM radio only and on rare occasions AM/FM.
These were likely done at [HPM2] Hi-Performance Motors on Sepulveda Blvd, but no paperwork has been found to confirm that.
I will always change my position in light of a preponderance of credible facts. I have done it before and will most likely do it again. Speaking for myself the truth is what it is all about after all. I started looking at SRG posts today after seeing the posted link. I only got in a few pages however until I came upon some snarky remarks Brian Styles made toward me which has in the past discourage me from participating . I was disappointed to see things have not changed there given the dates on the posts.  I decided to stop and take up more reading another day.

Richstang

Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 24, 2020, 11:32:04 PM

Doug

Hi Doug,

I will always change my position in light of a preponderance of credible facts. I have done it before and will most likely do it again. Speaking for myself the truth is what it is all about after all. I started looking at SRG posts today after seeing the posted link. I only got in a few pages however until I came upon some snarky remarks Brian Styles made toward me which has in the past discourage me from participating . I was disappointed to see things have not changed there given the dates on the posts.  I decided to stop and take up more reading another day.

Every time you comment negatively about the #0139 convertible, Brian is going to react in the same manner. Case in point is the recent Little Red Nose Ring post of reply #23.
When a question was asked about the planned production of the 67 ½ coupes and convertibles you turned that into a post about his specific 1 of 1 '67 convertible.
I'm not saying you're not entitled to voice your opinion, but you do realize your negative actions will invoke the same re-actions, right?

Brian is a very enthusiastic fan of the mark. His logical thinking and methodical approach to researching all of the unanswered questions is very passionate and appreciated by many.
I know you are passionate about the marquee as well, for all that you do, as am I.

Everyone involved in the SRG group puts a great deal of effort into it, freely sharing any findings. The hunt continues for the truth.
We all want answers to the why, where, and when of the continuous changes that occurred 50 years ago.
I don't like to get involved in the personnel issues between others, but I will say he has presented a string of evidence, both NEW and old.
I see as proof #0139 was in fact completed with '67 styling /fiberglass.

shelbyhertz66

Some additional info.
As I mentioned I just received a copy of the 67 GT350/500
production order for my car and there are 2 boxes checked.

1) Shelby wheels ( I don't know which ones) Has 10 spokes
2) radio (does not specify which one, sounds like it would have been AM)
Being the production order I don't know if this determined where it was installed.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Richstang on June 25, 2020, 09:47:04 AM

Doug

Hi Doug,

Every time you comment negatively about the #0139 convertible, Brian is going to react in the same manner. Case in point is the recent Little Red Nose Ring post of reply #23.
When a question was asked about the planned production of the 67 ½ coupes and convertibles you turned that into a post about his specific 1 of 1 '67 convertible.
I'm not saying you're not entitled to voice your opinion, but you do realize your negative actions will invoke the same re-actions, right?

Brian is a very enthusiastic fan of the mark. His logical thinking and methodical approach to researching all of the unanswered questions is very passionate and appreciated by many.
I know you are passionate about the marquee as well, for all that you do, as am I.

Everyone involved in the SRG group puts a great deal of effort into it, freely sharing any findings. The hunt continues for the truth.
We all want answers to the why, where, and when of the continuous changes that occurred 50 years ago.
I don't like to get involved in the personnel issues between others, but I will say he has presented a string of evidence, both NEW and old.
I don't participate in the SRG because if I voice a opinion contrary to the narrative rather then discussion there are out of context and snarky comments drama. You have proven my point with this drama. No thank you.

Richstang

Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 25, 2020, 10:49:15 AM

Doug

Hi Doug,

I don't participate in the SRG because if I voice a opinion contrary to the narrative rather then discussion there are out of context and snarky comments drama. You have proven my point with this drama. No thank you.

Bob, there is NO drama on the SRG.
We certainly welcome discussions based on facts, or questions for any topic. That is how we all benefit with knowledge.
I don't know what topics you saw the 'snarky' comments in, but the focus is on the subject matter, the '67 Shelby.
Please don't knock the site for comments that you may not agree with.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Richstang on June 25, 2020, 11:53:48 AM

Doug

Hi Doug,

We certainly welcome discussions based on facts, or questions for any topic. That is how we all benefit with knowledge.
I don't know what topics you saw the 'snarky' comments in, but the focus is on the subject matter, the '67 Shelby.
I think doth protest too much, methinks. ;)

FL SAAC

True

True

True

Of course this is the 1 of 1 and only 1967  Shelby unicorn convertible

-------------------------------------
Lastly on this topic, your car more than likely came with an AM radio
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Richstang

Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 25, 2020, 01:16:58 PM

Doug

Hi Doug,

Huh?

Well, I had to look around, on the SRG, for what offended you as a 'snarky' comment. It took a little while searching, but I think this is it.
I can only guess this was one of the the smoking gun pieces of evidence from the '67 convertible's original core support photo he posted.
Having the '67 Shelby mounting holes for the outboard grille lights has to be the reason why he wrote what he did.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/shelbyresearch/V3W278gBOWs/hlQyS81gBgAJ 

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Richstang on June 25, 2020, 10:26:57 PM

Doug

Hi Doug,

Huh?

Well, I had to look around, on the SRG, for what offended you as a 'snarky' comment. It took a little while searching, but I think this is it.
I can only guess this was one of the the smoking gun pieces of evidence from the '67 convertible's original core support photo he posted.
Having the '67 Shelby mounting holes for the outboard grille lights has to be the reason why he wrote what he did.

Rich , radiator supports are put together with spot welds not plug welds like the picture shows. The plug welds on the radiator support in the picture indicate that the radiator support had been monkeyed with. Consequently it is not a good idea to use the compromised radiator support in the car as any historical yardstick.  So Brian snarky comment had no basis in fact and was purely meant to be malicious. He thought it supported his narrative and lashed out. You show your bias too for all to see by your continued beating of a dead horse. This all started because you were embarrassed by me outing you for not including important facts on the radio install issue . I tried to do it in a non confrontational way by suggesting you include the missing info ." Don't you think you should say something about cars that got radios installed at SA/Highperformance Motors in the same way 66 GT350's typically got radios installed?" You wouldn't leave well enough alone.  You have changed the subject to Brian and the 139 car to take attention away from your mistake. It is time to stop beating this dead horse.

Richstang

Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 25, 2020, 11:37:25 PM
Quote from: Richstang on June 25, 2020, 10:26:57 PM

Doug

Hi Doug,

Huh?

Rich , radiator supports are put together with spot welds not plug welds like the picture shows. The plug welds on the radiator support in the picture indicate that the radiator support had been monkeyed with. Consequently it is not a good idea to use the compromised radiator support in the car as any historical yardstick.  So Brian snarky comment had no basis in fact and was purely meant to be malicious. He thought it supported his narrative and lashed out. You show your bias too for all to see by your continued beating of a dead horse. This all started because you were embarrassed by me outing you for not including important facts on the radio install issue . I tried to do it in a non confrontational way by suggesting you include the missing info ." Don't you think you should say something about cars that got radios installed at SA/Highperformance Motors in the same way 66 GT350's typically got radios installed?" You wouldn't leave well enough alone.  You have changed the subject to Brian and the 139 car to take attention away from your mistake. It is time to stop beating this dead horse.

I'm only going to address the radio topic in this particular reply.

Your recent and previous position was that "99%+ of radios were installed by Ford [San Jose]"
Your updated position now accepts the number we posted on the SRG on 2/2019 that approximately 462 radios were installed at Ford SJ. (That's 2763 units without a radio from SJ.)
However, it appears you still believe that when AM radios were added by SAI, that the actual installation work was done at Hi-Performance Motors (HPM = Carroll Shelby's retail dealer at the offsite location) rather than at LAX.
Here's we differ on our theories.
I can't speak to earlier years ('65-'66), but I believe the quantity of added radio units in 1967 is just too large for them to be outsourced to HPM.

After giving this further thought, which I attribute to you putting in front of me, I strongly disagree that it was SOP for SAI to send out Shelby units to HPM for AM radio installation. While a small number of radios may have been installed by HPM (likely because the unit was being retailed by HPM or because the radio was non-standard, such as an AM-FM), the vast majority of AM radios had to be installed by SAI at LAX. This is why we don't see invoices to HPM noting the charges in 1967. Just like SAI swapped wheels, we see an indication of added radios on the Production Orders. Wheels and radios were basically the only two options being changed by SAI at LAX (compared to how cars arrived from Ford SJ). This was done as-needed on the cars to fulfill dealer-specific orders. Without having all of the Production Orders to review, we are not going to get an exact number of cars that had radios added by SAI without guessing. This is all explained in the SRG radio post.
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/shelbyresearch/hYukQMTGYN0/09SGJfe9CgAJ 

We all know radios are fairly simple installations. We also know the antennas were not installed by Ford or SAI, to avoid damage in shipping. Do you really think that approximately 1600 cars were individually driven to HPM just to get a radio installed, then driven back to LAX to be parked in the finished inventory lot? Logistically, that makes absolutely no sense. I had to be done at LAX.

FYI,
This was not Carroll Shelby & Lew Spencer's HPM dealer.
That was (HPM1) located on 1150 N. La Brea Ave. and closed in 1965.
The HPM we're referring to (opened in late 1965 and onward (HPM2) was located at 901 Sepulveda Blvd, El Segundo, CA.
That was just Carroll Shelby's HPM. I'm assuming you know the correct location but may have misunderstood the correct names.

Bob Gaines

I am not going to quibble about how recent or not a particular position I had was .Who cares,I don't. The one that matters is the current one. I don't think I ever said anything suggesting SA installed radio antennas like you imply because I have known for decades it was a dealer prep job.  If SA installed the radios  or had it contracted out like they did in 65 /66 Shelby production would be good to know for sure. Quite a few were installed in 65 and 66 cars and SA did not have a problem getting them to and from. The fact of the matter is that radios got installed other then just SJ. Regardless of who did it SJ,SA or outside contractor only mentioning one without the other gives a false perspective of what happened and how many got them. Now I respectfully suggest we stop beating this dead horse .