News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

First Start. #861 last ran in 1978.

Started by rbarkley, April 17, 2020, 07:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbarkley

Great to hear it running after so long.  Exhaust still needs to be completed.
Ron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq4J4uluja0

Greg

Congratulations!  Awesome car, but say goodbye to power brakes  :) as thats a pretty good CAM and your vacuum may be too low to operate the booster, been there and done that.  Hopefully not the case.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

S7MS427

Except for the lack of stripes, that could be my car! Love the hood, I think all 427 powered '67s should have it. Awesome achievement. You must feel good about it!
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

67 GT350

Beautiful!!! Love the midnight or rightmost blue! Beautiful!!! 1978!!!!!
RARE  Signature Delete

rbarkley

Thanks guys.  Yes,  I am proud!  Even in 78 when it was run last, it had a small block.  The original engine was replaced with a small block in 1973. 
And then in 78 the small block blew up and that was the last time it was on the road.  I purchased it in 2015 and began the restoration then.
Ron

Side-Oilers

Nice! Congrats.   Love those Side-Oilers.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

The Going Thing

Congratulations! I don't think you'll have an issue with that cam and your power brakes as long as you're not driving in a lot of very heavy stop and go traffic.
The cam in my My 67 500 is 236@.050 INT and 246 EXH @ .050 with .578 INT and .589 exh. I guess I should post m vehicle idling.
Did your Shelby come with the exhaust trim or did you decide to add it? I have it on my vehicle but I am a much earlier car.

You'll have to post some footage of your first drive.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: The Going Thing on April 17, 2020, 10:39:18 PM
Congratulations! I don't think you'll have an issue with that cam and your power brakes as long as you're not driving in a lot of very heavy stop and go traffic.
The cam in my My 67 500 is 236@.050 INT and 246 EXH @ .050 with .578 INT and .589 exh. I guess I should post m vehicle idling.
Did your Shelby come with the exhaust trim or did you decide to add it? I have it on my vehicle but I am a much earlier car.

Kieth ,it would be out of the ordinary if 861 didn't have the cut out rear valance with the trim from all I have seen.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

IT LIVES!! congratulations.

(yes the exhaust trim is what I would expect on your car too)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbydoug

Quote from: The Going Thing on April 17, 2020, 10:39:18 PM

The majic number for vacuum for the Midland booster seems to me around 12 inches.
I know of a couple of cars under that and they are running with a vacuum pump.

You can tell if there is low brake vacuum by the feel of the pedal. It will get hard.

You may also be able to get by without a pump with a vacuum reservoir? Under 12 is going to be trial and error and how you feel about the pedal feel.

Mustangs with manual brakes are not difficult to drive at all. It's really what you are comfortable with.

From what my experiences are, I'd say any hotter (more duration at .050) then what Keith has probably will drop you down to 12 or lower?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbydoug

Quote from: rbarkley on April 17, 2020, 07:50:36 PM
Great to hear it running after so long.  Exhaust still needs to be completed.
Ron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq4J4uluja0

AH! It does a body good!

As my son would say. "Dad? What's wrong with your engine?" As I would reply, "no, no, everything is right!"  ;)

What cam is in it?

Sometimes I forget the violent difference between these monsters and current EFI cars. What a difference? Sounds like a marching band. Boom, boom, bada bada, boom, boom?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Great video...thank you for sharing.  Congratulations for getting the car running again.  Enjoy.

deathsled

Lots of open roads these days to run on. You have the perfect opportunity.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"