Author Topic: Shelby Cobra Mark III frame (supposedly)  (Read 5410 times)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Shelby Cobra Mark III frame (supposedly)
« on: March 08, 2018, 09:54:56 AM »
Ok, just posting this for the slim possibility that it actually is something of interest to anyone on the forum.  I was recently communicating with a guy, who is out in the hills of California, who claims to have acquired lot's of unusual prototype engines from his uncle.  He said that he has what he was told was an original Mark III frame (although missing some support structures), but was acquired from SA many years ago.  Obviously, I'm very doubtful about a claim like that.  I also know nothing about original Cobra frames.    Thoughts, comments, flames?

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Shelby Cobra Mark III frame (supposedly)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 02:07:46 PM »
Ok, just posting this for the slim possibility that it actually is something of interest to anyone on the forum.  I was recently communicating with a guy, who is out in the hills of California, who claims to have acquired lot's of unusual prototype engines from his uncle.  He said that he has what he was told was an original Mark III frame (although missing some support structures), but was acquired from SA many years ago.  Obviously, I'm very doubtful about a claim like that.  I also know nothing about original Cobra frames.    Thoughts, comments, flames?
Start by confirming any SA vin in the typical location on the upright. That will "help" with determining if possibly a car or just car parts IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Cobra Ned

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 10:25:22 PM »
I am not aware of any missing chassis that Shelby American might have had, much less any that might have been sitting around such that they may have been sold as an incomplete part, especially if it may have had a VIN.

mickmate

• View Profile
    • Acton Custom
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 07:07:25 AM »
It looks like a continuation (4000/6000) chassis with the rear cowl hoop and the door side bars. Having said that there are a couple of other odd features like the motor mounts, maybe SB and the raised trans cross member.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 12:04:41 AM »
I am not aware of any missing chassis that Shelby American might have had,
bbbbut there were 50 in Texas  ::) I heard they are finally building those numbers but they will be track only cars. Is that reason due to the fact that CA cancelled the titles on them?
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 11:35:34 AM »
It looks like a continuation (4000/6000) chassis with the rear cowl hoop and the door side bars. Having said that there are a couple of other odd features like the motor mounts, maybe SB and the raised trans cross member.

My early 4000 series's frame looks nothing like the one pictured.

rkm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 02:14:18 PM »
Could be an EFX chassis. Any evidence it has been or needs to be shortened 6 inches?

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 03:13:17 PM »
Not that I am aware of. 
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative