News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Engine paint water pump bypass hose and clamps

Started by jswoody, April 18, 2020, 10:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jswoody

I am starting engine assembly for my 428pi and am looking for some specific detailing information.  I have seen some photos with the water bypass hose and clamps painted ford blue.  In addition I have seen engines in which this was not painted.  Was this a Shelby factory detail such as the intake overspray pattern?  Just wondering if paint is a Shelby time saving detail?  Any help is appreciated. 

Bob Gaines

Quote from: jswoody on April 18, 2020, 10:44:44 AM
I am starting engine assembly for my 428pi and am looking for some specific detailing information.  I have seen some photos with the water bypass hose and clamps painted ford blue.  In addition I have seen engines in which this was not painted.  Was this a Shelby factory detail such as the intake overspray pattern?  Just wondering if paint is a Shelby time saving detail?  Any help is appreciated.
Unlike the smallblock intake which could be easily taken off and reinstalled after painting the big block intake had to be painted in place because it formed part of the valve cover rail , push rods went through it etc. could not be taken off.The hose and clamps would have been painted during the engine painting process. It was part of the typical painting pattern caused by the mask used when painting the 67 GT500 engine so that the intake stayed bare aluminum looking. I am not near my picture files to post a vintage picture of the intake. Hopefully JD or one of the others will post that for you.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

roddster

You especially will want to replicate the small amount of blue overspray along the front and rear of the intake

jswoody

"Unlike the smallblock intake which could be easily taken off and reinstalled after painting the big block intake had to be painted in place because it formed part of the valve cover rail , push rods went through it etc. could not be taken off.The hose and clamps would have been painted during the engine painting process. It was part of the typical painting pattern caused by the mask used when painting the 67 GT500 engine so that the intake stayed bare aluminum looking. I am not near my picture files to post a vintage picture of the intake. Hopefully JD or one of the others will post that for you."

Thank you very much for the confirmation.  Once I saw the painted bypass hose and clamps it made sense with the overspray pattern on the Shelby installed intake, however I am definitely learning and appreciate the knowledge of the forum.  Thank you very much to all replies.

JD

Just saw this thread, here are a couple images.  main focus is the bypass and overspray on intake, other aspects may or may not be good reference...

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0