Author Topic: 67 Slant Grilles 1pc/2pc & headlight bucket mounting bands/plates -Got em?  (Read 17482 times)

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
update adds car #0107 from Mustang Monthly May 1992
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Richstang

• View Profile
Here's is another version showing the 2 pc grille attachment. (The first photo was in reply #6)
This time the lower 2pc grille is attached on the back side lip of the nose support, same side as the upper grille.
The 4 screws that hold this lower grille appear to be in the slotted openings for adjusts left to right.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 04:59:38 PM by Richstang »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Here's is another version showing the 2 pc grille attachment. (The first photo was in reply #6)
This time the lower 2pc grille is attached on the back side lip of the nose support, same side as the upper grille.
The 4 screws that hold this lower grille appear to be in the slotted openings for adjusts left to right.

I would like to add that , the lower grill does not typically bend forward as the picture shows. The lower grill appears to be installed down too far. It appears all the way down close to the fiberglass surface in the picture which means it was bent forward to fit the space.  It is also missing the plastic extruded channel along the bottom. I was just afraid someone might copy that because they thought it was supposed to be that way if I didn't mention something.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Richstang

• View Profile

I would like to add that , the lower grill does not typically bend forward as the picture shows. The lower grill appears to be installed down too far. It appears all the way down close to the fiberglass surface in the picture which means it was bent forward to fit the space.  It is also missing the plastic extruded channel along the bottom. I was just afraid someone might copy that because they thought it was supposed to be that way if I didn't mention something.

Bob,
Thanks for pointing out the incorrect bent lower grille and its missing paint protector / plastic extruded channel.  (I should have mentioned that.)

If the lower grille is moved up one row to fix that problem it would be overlapping the upper grille. This raises a couple of questions that I didn’t get a chance to ask JD off line;
-Would the 2 overlapped grille pieces mean the upper grille is also too low? (hidden by the channel over the top of the grille)
-Or, were there two different grilles used to ensure a proper fitment and no gaps?
(I previously read they were cut in 2pcs, but I'm not sure how that could create an overlap unless both pieces were moved) 

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile

Bob,
Thanks for pointing out the incorrect bent lower grille and its missing paint protector / plastic extruded channel.  (I should have mentioned that.)

If the lower grille is moved up one row to fix that problem it would be overlapping the upper grille. This raises a couple of questions that I didn’t get a chance to ask JD off line;
-Would the 2 overlapped grille pieces mean the upper grille is also too low? (hidden by the channel over the top of the grille)
-Or, were there two different grilles used to ensure a proper fitment and no gaps?
(I previously read they were cut in 2pcs, but I'm not sure how that could create an overlap unless both pieces were moved)
I think that you will find that the grill in the picture could be move up one notch in the mesh and it would meet where the top section starts.  The fashioner in both the top and the bottom grill mesh allows for a little adjustment in ether the upper or lower grill. Although tight I believe this particular grill could have been adjusted in this way. FYI the grill would have most likely been cut by the supplier because a large shear would be required to cut without distortion of the metal. I don't think such a piece of equipment was used at SA for other onsite fabrications.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile

As Bob pointed out the bottom of the grille (regardless of how many pieces) should not be bent outward and there should be a protective strip along the bottom (I think that was in the opening paragraphs) to prevent the bottom of the grille from damaging the paint below, see attached image of the white show car.  Also the length of this strip seems to have varied.

"The very bottom edge on all of the grilles, early 1-piece and 2-piece as well as the later inboard and outboard versions, got a protective "U" shaped polymer (rubber/plastic) strip. It prevented the bottom of the grille from damaging the painted surface of the lower nose opening. This is missing on many cars."

Because of the hand-assembled variables of these cars some of the angled two-piece grilles, if the lower piece was attached to the back side of the nose/license plate support, may have had some over lap.

The pattern should align to look as though it's one piece.  The pattern of the mesh has every third vertical a bit heavier (wider) than the two on either side of it. The wide slots allow some side to side adjustment.  (The outboard mesh is different)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 01:24:43 AM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Anyone have a source for the U-shaped polymer strip?

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
PM sent
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

markboss

• View Profile
JD,
 i need one also..

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
^^^^ OK and noted.

Alan

• View Profile
Would you add me too?
‘67    0029

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
^^^ OK, yes noted

Richstang

• View Profile
Bob,
Thanks for the reply on the 2 pc grille fitment and the likelihood of the supplier cutting the 2 pieces to size as needed. That help put it all in perspective.

roddster

• View Profile
  The chat over the lower grill.  Hardly an original car due to the LeMans stripes and also no lower rivets in the fiberglass to the lower frame rail.  Yep, very early cars did not get them.
  Also:  Can we start to mention some kind of date to the other photos.  Here is why: some of the fasteners are painted.  Should they be, or should they not be?  In years to come, folks are going to want to know,

jswoody

• View Profile
Anyone have a source for the U-shaped polymer strip?

JD, could you send me the information on the U-shaped strip as well please?