Author Topic: SAAC-45 Convention Update  (Read 43311 times)

cj750

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: SAAC-45 Convention Update
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2020, 02:23:22 PM »
Ozark looks great but too far for everybody I think.

Not for those of us who live between the Appalachians and the Rockies!
Every post I make comes with an implied request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

doublemyv

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2020, 04:11:30 PM »
Hi Guys, just my $ 0.02 cents on the location search. (www.Thermal.cc) in Thermal California.   Private racetracks/country club.  Home of the BMW school of high performance driving.   I have been there a few times taking the BMW classes on 5 different tracks on the property.   Maybe one of the wealthy SAAC members can buy a house on the property and get us all in for a convention ?  Sunny Southern California, surrounding Coachella Valley hotels, restaurants, entertainment, etc., and maybe hot enough in the summer to kill any Covid-19 germs ???   Mark

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2021, 01:04:30 PM »
  Just my thinking out loud: Would be wise for this year, ah 2021, that it might be wise to wait until at least July or August to hold SAAC 45 so that those who choose to vacinate might have that done by those months.

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2021, 08:59:07 PM »
You can take California Speedway in Fontana out of any future plans as the 2 Mile oval and road course are being dumped for a 1/2 mile short track with the work starting next year. The value of the property is high and the extra will acreage will be sold for residential and commercial development.  Kind of recalls Riverside Raceway loss. 

Sad, as we had a couple of fun SAAC conventions at the Speedway. 8)

Krelboyne

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2021, 09:10:31 PM »
You can take California Speedway in Fontana out of any future plans as the 2 Mile oval and road course are being dumped for a 1/2 mile short track with the work starting next year. The value of the property is high and the extra will acreage will be sold for residential and commercial development.  Kind of recalls Riverside Raceway loss. 

Sad, as we had a couple of fun SAAC conventions at the Speedway. 8)

Same thing happened to the Ontario Speedway. Not enough use, and high land value.
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2021, 09:28:34 PM »
Ugh!  Another one bites the dust. 

The Roval road course and oval was a fun track at Fontana.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2021, 10:04:09 PM »
Hi Guys, just my $ 0.02 cents on the location search. (www.Thermal.cc) in Thermal California.   Private racetracks/country club. 
And 120 degrees in the shade between May and October.
Spring Valley in Parhump NV. Shelby American has used it as a test track. Another private/residential track. They also have a pistol range for the ultimate shootout.
My choice for west coast would be Sears. SCCA has also added some more track to Button Willow.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2021, 10:10:53 PM »
^^Agreed on Thermal.   

Buttonwillow is a fun track, and novice drivers can't get in too much trouble. (Famous last words.)

The usual crappy roadside hotels and food are nearby.  And the wives can go explore wonderful and oh-so-scenic city of Bakersfield.

Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

Cobrask8

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2021, 09:21:45 AM »
Agreed in downsizing to a smaller venue with a fun track. I have always been a huge proponent in finding a good club track, such at the Autobahn in Chicago, and build  a fun event around that.

68GT350roadracer

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2021, 07:05:40 AM »
Agreed in downsizing to a smaller venue with a fun track. I have always been a huge proponent in finding a good club track, such at the Autobahn in Chicago, and build  a fun event around that.

+ 1
I love the track time, one of the reasons I go. Personally I do not go because it is some Big Name track. I go for to see the Shelbys and the people and get track time. I think if it was at a smaller venue track, we could reduce cost or at least have more track time. Since we would not be sharing the track with the SVRA.

Shelby6t5 Mike HHI, SC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2021, 10:09:14 AM »
^ + 1

Mike

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2021, 11:56:20 AM »
  The Autobahn, is also known as the "Autobahn Country Club".  A nice venue hardly 10 minutes off of I-80 south of Joliet IL.  A couple of issues: I have no idea where the Host Hotel would be as there aren't any near the Autobahn Club.  And, the club members are members so they can tour the track (there are 2 or 3 different configurations availble) , that is why they paid into the "Club".
  But, I will say, it might be worth checking out. 

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2021, 12:25:51 PM »

+ 1
I love the track time, one of the reasons I go. Personally I do not go because it is some Big Name track. I go for to see the Shelbys and the people and get track time. I think if it was at a smaller venue track, we could reduce cost or at least have more track time. Since we would not be sharing the track with the SVRA.
It is my understanding that the purpose pf sharing with SVRA was to reduce cost which has been voice before by the board. I am not involved in that process but my impression is if it were easier and less costly all things considered to do a smaller track without having to share the venue it would already have been done. But that is just me. Others my know differently.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

QuickSilverShelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2021, 12:34:30 PM »
I think sharing the annual event with SVRA is the only way to go.  You get a ton of cool cars in addition to the Shelby's and there is constantly action on the track.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2021, 12:50:08 PM »
How about Virginia City Nevada?

They have a large hotel in town and they do the Ferrari hill climb there - I am sure the county would be happy to do the "Shelby hill climb".

https://www.virginiacityhillclimb.com/ 
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years