News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Pertronix 3 wiring?

Started by Kent, April 19, 2020, 03:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Royce Peterson

If the tach is reading low with an aftermarket coil it (the D'Arsenval movement in the tachometer) likely has lost some magnetism over the years. The stock coil has a higher resistance than most aftermarket coils that I am aware of. Higher resistance = lower current in the circuit. Lower current means lower RPM reading. The tachometer in 1967 - 68 is in series with the coil, it is in effect an amp meter that reads in RPM. 

Quote from: oldcanuck on December 14, 2020, 08:45:57 AM
Quote from: Royce Peterson on April 20, 2020, 12:40:59 PM
Yes indeed. The Pertronics coil is lower resistance than the stock coil. So it gives a higher output to the plugs but ruins the performance of the tachometer.

Personally I prefer using the stock yellow top coils.

Quote from: oldcanuck on April 20, 2020, 09:47:03 AM
I wired per the instructions, but I replaced the old non-original coil with a new Pertronix Flame Thrower coil as I thought that is what was required for the HEI ?

Is that were I goofed....... ?

If I swap back to my stock coil on my Pertronix I conversion, will it correct my low reading tach ?

Thanks All.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

oldcanuck

Maybe I wasn't clear..... the Pertronix I was installed new July 2020 with a new Pertronix Blaster coil. I have run the car appx. 1000 miles since the installation.

The installation instructions included, were used. The system works well, but my tach seems to be reading 3-400 rpm low.

My question is.... if I put my previous stock coil back in, will this solve my rpm reading ?
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

Royce Peterson

The Pertronix coil is lower resistance than a stock coil so it will read a higher RPM. If your tach is reading low with a Pertronix coil installing the stock coil will cause it to read even lower. Higher resistance = lower RPM indication. Lower resistance = higher RPM indication. No it is not going to have the effect that you desire.

Why not try it for yourself? We are talking about less than 5 minutes work.

Quote from: oldcanuck on December 31, 2020, 06:24:36 PM
Maybe I wasn't clear..... the Pertronix I was installed new July 2020 with a new Pertronix Blaster coil. I have run the car appx. 1000 miles since the installation.

The installation instructions included, were used. The system works well, but my tach seems to be reading 3-400 rpm low.

My question is.... if I put my previous stock coil back in, will this solve my rpm reading ?
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

tonys_shelby

My thoughts are run stock coil, petronix 1. Ran this in several cars with stock tach and never an issue. No problems with enough voltage to run system even with resistor wire or tach operating properly.

oldcanuck

Thank you guys.... I will give it a try and report back.

BG
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN