Author Topic: Production numbers  (Read 7811 times)

Krelboyne

• View Profile
Re: Production numbers
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 02:18:31 PM »
MPC note.
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 03:54:14 PM »
Could be only the CS coupes?

Krelboyne

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2020, 05:46:33 PM »
76 is code for convertible. So reading into the MPC, they meant fiberglass deck lids.
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2020, 06:12:36 PM »
So are you saying they repainted the trunks after they added the trunk lid? Every original car I’ve ever seen all the trunk hardware was the same color as the rest of the trunk. If they were replacing it with a special spring I don’t think they would’ve taken the time to blend in the paint

+1 Trunk lids were painted on the car with springs in place just like all the other coupes heading down the line (Calif Specials). Fair number of pictures of this detail from unrestored car plus an original paint car down in storage

Not surprised that the Ford didn't offer a service replacement spring for the application. Likely not enough demand to justify the cost of having a company make a run of them. Some would have been left over from production and put in the system till they ran out. Interesting that the (guessing) later MPC suggests that a coupe trunk spring would not work on a convertible the same year. Same for 65-66

If I recall correctly discussions a few years back  suggested the difference was identified by a paint mark on the springs that was coated over when the trunk was painted at San Jose
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 07:46:30 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2020, 07:17:08 PM »
What is written is not always what happened

Never seen a unique spring on a Shelby, but I could be mistaken.

Just sayin

michaelsedlak

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2020, 08:35:08 AM »
Not sure why you would consider adding these to a car where you state they were not added only considered if I understand your post.

I was just thinking about it.  Bill and I discussed many things to do to the car to make it more competitive.  I had always thought it would help plant the rear a little better and from a personal level I like the look. Not the tail lights however.  After reviewing the information it most likely would not have been legal  because nothing was ever put through Ford to legalize the parts for A/S or T/A which if they had would have surely been on the team cars. Thanks to all who had input on this post.  Good read.

Michael

CalSpecial68

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2020, 11:12:58 PM »
For what's it worth my 68 California Special trunk does open very rapidly. It will scare the heck out of somebody not familiar with it.  ;D

SFcarbuff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2020, 08:12:47 PM »
Deck Lid springs.  I have the paper back GT/CS registry 1996 written by Paul M. newt.  On page 87 under section E. it states "When the trunk lock is turned, the deck lid pops open quickly, with the use of a CS-only deck lid spring.".. That is all I can find, no part number.