News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

67 10 spoke centers

Started by 67 GT350, April 21, 2020, 02:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67 GT350

I have a set of original 10 spokes, I went to install reproduction centers on them. I could not get the backing plate to fit, it is clearly too big. Any suggestions?

I will say this is why I am fed up with repoop products!
RARE  Signature Delete

Shawn

Make a circular mark on the plate to the required size.  Take to bench grinder working around otter edge trimming to the new size.  I did this and worked out for me

shelbydoug

I had the same problem. I just ground them down as described until they fit.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67 GT350

Thats what I was thinking, I wonder why they are so off? Thats why I asked, I wanted to see if this was the "normal" for this part. Or maybe they are set up for repro wheels.
RARE  Signature Delete

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67 GT350 on April 21, 2020, 04:55:54 PM
Thats what I was thinking, I wonder why they are so off? Thats why I asked, I wanted to see if this was the "normal" for this part. Or maybe they are set up for repro wheels.
They are probably set up for the repro wheels. It seems to me I had heard that Scott Drake are aware of it .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1640

Better too big and remove material, than too small and SOL.  The supplier may have made too large to reduce risk the plates being too small. It might be how they addressed the manufacture tolerance differences between to the OEM wheels and the repops.

Best of luck

Cory

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6s1640 on April 21, 2020, 05:45:23 PM
Better too big and remove material, than too small and SOL.  The supplier may have made too large to reduce risk the plates being too small. It might be how they addressed the manufacture tolerance differences between to the OEM wheels and the repops.

Best of luck

Cory
I think they just wanted them to fit their wheels and no one else's . The hosers
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 21, 2020, 05:40:35 PM
Quote from: 67 GT350 on April 21, 2020, 04:55:54 PM
They are probably set up for the repro wheels. It seems to me I had heard that Scott Drake are aware of it .

They fit the same way on the repro 10 spokes.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67 GT350

OK then I will fix it.
The bottom line is they sell us repro junk. FINAL ANSWER.
RARE  Signature Delete

Coralsnake

I like how everyone is still amazed !

🤯
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

67 GT350

Well aren't you smart. For a few of us the last time we bought this stuff was at a Ford dealer and parts like that fit. I would say about 75% of parts for these cars are what I would call, defective, and someone said Old Scotty D, Mr. Twain, China, etc is aware of it.....And some call that good!
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbydoug

I got a second set last year from Branda and in that set the backing plates fit fine.

I'm wondering if the Magstar and 10 spoke backing plates are getting mixed up? I don't think they are the same dimensions?

The accuracy of reproduction parts has always been an issue but there are so many parts how can a 20 year old kid know what's right for a 50 year old vehicle?

Complaints should go directly  to the retailers. Folks like Branda honestly try to get it right the first time.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

oldcanuck

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 21, 2020, 07:01:54 PM
Quote from: 6s1640 on April 21, 2020, 05:45:23 PM

Best of luck

Cory
I think they just wanted them to fit their wheels and no one else's . The hosers

C'mon now..... no reason to use the ' H ' word ......
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

67 GT350

They are on the car now! I followed the advise and used my grinder, they came out OK....One thing odd there is a pin that goes through a hole on the plate, but the pin is too short on the center, LOL None were long enough....I just laugh....Anyway, I have a set of Magstars and those plates are totally different....there is no way they would mix them up.

I seem to remember many years ago when I got a set of centers through Ford, that the wheel centers might have been plastic? These are metal...Anyway, its all good now!
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbydoug

Your guess is as good as anyones on the reason the backing plates are wrong. Fortunately they are hidden from view.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!