News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

295-50-15 on 10 spoke

Started by shelbydoug, April 22, 2020, 11:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

While I can find the picture, here is the BFG T/A 295-50-15 on a Shelby 10 spoke on my 68.

I've been asked a couple of times for pictures, so here they are.

You can clearly see the clearance around the tire to the fender lip.

I can put my hand between the tire and the lip.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Love it.

If you had a rolled fender lip, would the narrowed axle housing been necessary?

shelbydoug

Quote from: 2112 on April 22, 2020, 01:15:13 PM
Love it.

If you had a rolled fender lip, would the narrowed axle housing been necessary?

I don't know but the axle housing is 2" narrower (76 Lincoln Versailles) then the 67-8 banjo and I believe the same as a 65-66? Maybe it will fit?

I tell you that so nobody sends me a poison pen letter saying that I ruined their life by withholding information.

I think that I had them on before I changed the axle out? I can't swear to that though?

I noticed that in a couple of dimensions, 67's and 8's vary slightly. Particularly in the fender clearances. I have one of each.

Maybe it's a Metuchen vs. San Jose thing the way they "boxed the sheet metal"?

The fender lip itself is not any kind of an issue. The contour of the inner fender might be?
It doesn't necessarily follow the contour of the outer fender shape.

At some point in travel, I can't say if it is full travel because I can't test that in motion, the front of the inner fender will tick on the tire tread. Also when one side of the axle is traveling more then the other (tilting) like for me backing out of the driveway which is on a hill.

A '68 uses the wheel well opening trim which in spots is supposed to use small sheet metal screws to hold it to the fender lip.

In the front fender, those things cause more havoc then anything. In the rear, not so much at all.

Look at the room between the tire and the fender lip in the picture. My fingers  and hand slide in between them and is probably about 1-1/2 to 1-3/4" thick at that point.

Without pulling the wheel off, in addition, I'm pretty sure that I have a 1/8" wheel spacer on the axle also to move the inner part of the tread away from the spot on the inner fender where it ticks.

The point of the post was showing that the tire does fit pretty well as opposed to a few, not a lot, of skeptics.

So it's for "whom it may concern" since not everyone wants two different size tires on the car to begin with?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67 GT350

Looks great! Thanks for the pictures.
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350shelb

I ran the same on the back of 00212  with steel wheels  same  issue would hit top if the inner wheel house  over  dips or if someone was in back seat. wheel lip was not an issue.
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

shelbydoug

Quote from: gt350shelb on April 23, 2020, 08:11:08 AM
I ran the same on the back of 00212  with steel wheels  same  issue would hit top if the inner wheel house  over  dips or if someone was in back seat. wheel lip was not an issue.

Simple solution. Tire marks the spot, you hit it with a 5 pound lumping  hammer. Problem solved. ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!