Author Topic: Tie Rods?  (Read 3033 times)

Fastback66

• View Profile
Tie Rods?
« on: March 08, 2018, 04:58:47 PM »
Please forgive my silly questions... I have a later build 70 GT350 with the big suspension. It's my understanding the tie rod ends where it connects to the spindle on my car are larger than the earlier 69-70 cars, are these ends the same as the 70 Mach 1 tie rod ends? Will any 70 Mustang tie rod end work on my late build (June 12, 1969) GT350?

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
Re: Tie Rods?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 06:06:38 PM »
You need to check to see if you have the big spindles.  If you do  then 70 tie rods will work.  C8OA  spindles are small spindles.  DOZA  spindles have a larger tapered hole  for the tie rods and the shaft is also larger in diameter where the rotor mounts
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Fastback66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 06:22:54 PM »
Ok thanks, I have the big spindles. One is stamped DOZA the other is stamped KK

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 07:06:34 PM »
Please forgive my silly questions... I have a later build 70 GT350 with the big suspension. It's my understanding the tie rod ends where it connects to the spindle on my car are larger than the earlier 69-70 cars, are these ends the same as the 70 Mach 1 tie rod ends? Will any 70 Mustang tie rod end work on my late build (June 12, 1969) GT350?
Yes the 70 tie rods ends will work but typically not like what came on your Shelby from the Ford . The ones that came on the big suspension Shelby's  had the rubber boot with the silver metal ring around the base just like the smaller version tie rod. Later in 69 after Shelby production stopped Ford changed to a different style boot without the metal retainer ring . It had a spring made into the rubber boot and was just pressed down over the tie rod instead of the metal ring and pressed on fit of the earlier style. I can't remember if Scott Fuller makes the larger boots or not. If you just want something that works the later boot style will work on your big suspension larger tie rod ends. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 09:49:41 PM »
I believe you will find an X  after the KK.  :)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 06:47:48 AM »
I believe you will find an X  after the KK.  :)

TOB

Yup

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 09:10:47 AM »
I sent scott fuller years ago the 69 b9 b2 & XHD F-60-15 late shelby original tie rod grease boot DODA # to make this version as well as the 67-69 regular suspension gease boots c60a c80a steel ring grease boots. These grease boots dry rot or get torn rubber when removed & the replacement had the rubber coated steel ring. The bigger suspension tie rods had bigger castle nuts also.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 10:57:07 AM »
Yes the 70 tie rods ends will work but typically not like what came on your Shelby from the Ford . The ones that came on the big suspension Shelby's  had the rubber boot with the silver metal ring around the base just like the smaller version tie rod. Later in 69 after Shelby production stopped Ford changed to a different style boot without the metal retainer ring . It had a spring made into the rubber boot and was just pressed down over the tie rod instead of the metal ring and pressed on fit of the earlier style. I can't remember if Scott Fuller makes the larger boots or not. If you just want something that works the later boot style will work on your big suspension larger tie rod ends.

A couple of years ago I replaced the stock spindles on my 68 GT350 with 70 Mustang manual brake spindles with the big spindle to use with the Tbird brake calipers and T/A adapter.  Everything swapped right over.
Tie rod ends were not a problem BUT I am sure that I have MOOG tie rods on the car to begin with. Not the original Ford's.

So having gone through this specific project, I don't see where there is an issue with parts not fitting?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 11:03:43 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 11:18:09 AM »

A couple of years ago I replaced the stock spindles on my 68 GT350 with 70 Mustang manual brake spindles with the big spindle to use with the Tbird brake calipers and T/A adapter.  Everything swapped right over.
Tie rod ends were not a problem BUT I am sure that I have MOOG tie rods on the car to begin with. Not the original Ford's.

So having gone through this specific project, I don't see where there is an issue with parts not fitting?
It is not a issue as long as use the larger diameter tie rods on the big suspension spindle. The smaller tie rod ends used from 67 to the end of March 1969 will not fit properly in the Boss/Shelby spindles (same size tie rods as 70).
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby