News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

2020 Pebble Beach Concours Cancelled

Started by CSX 4133, April 23, 2020, 03:39:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSX 4133

Considering more and more states are opening up business, recreational venues, etc I personally think this was a bit hasty. I know several auction houses are strongly considering on line auctions only this year which could extend into the fall. Hopefully once things open up fully economically, socially, etc we can get back to life as we once knew it.

https://pebblebeachconcours.net/event-update/

prototypefan

Many of the car manufacturers/sponsors had pulled out a month ago.

Chad

SFM5S000

Oh bummer, that's too bad but not surprised. I go practically every year. This will more than likely apply to the Rolex Reunion at Laguna Seca, Concourso Italiano, events at The Quail etc. Okay August 16 2021 it is.
Until a vaccine is developed for this virus, I'd expect most events to be cancelled or postponed.

Be Safe,
~E

Coralsnake

I kind of got the impression we all believe SAAC is on, unfortunately the reality is the decision is not up to SAAC, but I do hope for the best.

CSX 4133

Well... Gooding has now cancelled their auction and I would expect RM to follow suit. Not looking good for the entire Reunion functions.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Coralsnake on April 23, 2020, 07:47:52 AM
I kind of got the impression we all believe SAAC is on, unfortunately the reality is the decision is not up to SAAC, but I do hope for the best.

Well, you can open up the store. That doesn't mean customers are going to come in.

At the moment, the only thing safe is going to be driving to Indy, parking, walking around the track 6 feet apart with masks and driving your car in the high speed events.

You can reopen MLB, NHL, NBA but who is going to feel comfortable sitting in the crowd shoulder to shoulder?

It's unlikely (but possible) that it will be clear enough to attempt it. Everyone is trying to be positive but I don't see where the past conventions would conform to the current Federal guidelines of safe distancing.

You are not going to be able to hold a car show or a banquet dinner.

Is it smart to attempt this with the risk that 100 people will show up? How does that pay for the track, etc?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

prototypefan

Liability....I think the buck stops there.

I'm not sure whether it's the sponsors, organizers, venue, regulators, etc who made a decision to postpone, it's sad.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: shelbydoug on April 23, 2020, 09:06:10 AM
Quote from: Coralsnake on April 23, 2020, 07:47:52 AM

At the moment, the only thing safe is going to be driving to Indy,

Don't count on that. They had an interview with someone who had caught it and had been isolated at home. He went out to fill up the car - just in case. They figure he got it when he used the gas pump. It can live on those surfaces for 3 days.

A group the wife belongs to had their Sept event cancelled by the hotel. We rescheduled an event from early May to late July. The Hotel gave us a contract with no cancellation penalty if we decide we can't hold the meetings.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless