News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

BaT Auction - 1967 GT500 #2859

Started by Hockeylife, April 23, 2020, 10:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Side-Oilers

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 23, 2020, 08:37:55 PM
Quote from: 67 GT350 on April 23, 2020, 01:54:59 PM
I had a slightly earlier car that had inboard lights. Factory.
Initially SA tried to send outboard cars to the states requiring them . That was hit and miss as far as shipping to dealers given historical observations. I talked to one of the workers who's job it was to install grills and he confirmed that after the last pallet of inboard grills were used they switched over to outboard grills and headlight components.SA used up inventory as more of a imperative  regardless of  SA started converting over approximately 800 cars previously .Not being finished in order can explain a few things but that is typically for later items being installed on lower VIN cars and not the reverse. With all of that said which is more likely a PO modification or a later car with a early feature conservatively 500 cars out of sequence ?  ;)

Bob:
I would have to imagine that discovering the individual state laws about headlights, at that point in production, was an "uh-oh" moment for Shelby American.

Given Ford's level of involvement at that time, do we know if it was S-A alone, or Ford, (or some combination of both) that footed the bill for the change over from inboards to outboards?
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

J_Speegle

Quote from: Side-Oilers on April 23, 2020, 11:30:59 PM
Given Ford's level of involvement at that time, do we know if it was S-A alone, or Ford, (or some combination of both) that footed the bill for the change over from inboards to outboards?

Of course they could just choose another vehicle to send with outboards. Handful of stories of dealers just getting what SA sent rather than an exact match to an earlier order. Different/wrong color and such
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Side-Oilers on April 23, 2020, 11:30:59 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 23, 2020, 08:37:55 PM
Quote from: 67 GT350 on April 23, 2020, 01:54:59 PM
I had a slightly earlier car that had inboard lights. Factory.
Initially SA tried to send outboard cars to the states requiring them . That was hit and miss as far as shipping to dealers given historical observations. I talked to one of the workers who's job it was to install grills and he confirmed that after the last pallet of inboard grills were used they switched over to outboard grills and headlight components.SA used up inventory as more of a imperative  regardless of  SA started converting over approximately 800 cars previously .Not being finished in order can explain a few things but that is typically for later items being installed on lower VIN cars and not the reverse. With all of that said which is more likely a PO modification or a later car with a early feature conservatively 500 cars out of sequence ?  ;)

Bob:
I would have to imagine that discovering the individual state laws about headlights, at that point in production, was an "uh-oh" moment for Shelby American.

Just to be clear, there is no evidence to suggest that SA was taking inboard cars and converting them to outboard . Like I mentioned before the worker said they used up all of the inboard grill parts inventory before changing over to the outboard when they converted them to Shelby's. So there was no footing the bill for anything . Once they were built they were done. No changing. Although there were laws apparently they were not strict enough so as not to allow SA to get rid of already made up inventory. At least that was the way SA did things. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Royce Peterson

Totally agree. Lots of owners in the earlier days of Shelby collecting changed lots of things on their cars. Perhaps a previous owner liked the look of inboard lights. I can't imagine they were original. Maybe done to rectify a fender bender? Who knows. Maybe the next owner will like it just the way it is. 

I like the car pretty well, wish it were mine.

Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on April 24, 2020, 08:48:35 AM
Some irregularities , still a nice car
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

ITHERTZ

Quote from: 67_1183 on April 23, 2020, 08:16:07 PM

I know things change, but I wonder why a "dream car" is now for sale.

I can think of many good and legitimate reasons.

If I had an outboard car and no A/C, I would change it to inboard per my preference and just save all the parts.

But I am not into the competition end of things either.

Bigfoot

Quote from: ITHERTZ on April 24, 2020, 10:19:31 AM
Quote from: 67_1183 on April 23, 2020, 08:16:07 PM

I know things change, but I wonder why a "dream car" is now for sale.

I can think of many good and legitimate reasons.

Ditto. Things change. Priorities change.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bigfoot

First thing I would do is paint OFF the stripes.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bob Gaines

Regardless of any perceived short comings it is a over all nice car ,desirable color and trans. I will be surprised if it doesn't do well.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Seller/owner was forthcoming with what they knew or understood about the car and cooperative. Hope the car finds a good home and we see them here on the site so that they can make informed choices going forward
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on April 25, 2020, 08:34:01 AM
Looked at the comments on BAT and we fell of our chairs laughing on this particular one...priceless  !
It would be funny and outrageous IMO to be that concerned about a small 1/64 variance if it were true. It of course is not. The brave anonymous poster is apparently clueless given he obviously is not familiar with what original 67 Shelby stripes look like let alone what SAAC concours expectations are on the subject.  Although I don't remember it being mentioned in this thread the reality is the stripe on the auction car is far more off the mark then 1/16.  ;) The stripes are not done for a 67 Shelby instead it is done in the 68 Shelby configuration. There is a difference how the center stripe is laid out and how the GT 500/ GT 350 are centered on the fender. One way is correct for 67 and the other correct for 68. Of course that kind of detail is only important on cars that try to look factory original . It is a common mistake for uninformed restorers. I assume the poster was told something was wrong and couldn't figure it out so posted a outrageous comment instead.   

sfm5s081

About 1 hour left! Seller specifically states "NO IN PERSON INSPECTIONS" due to Chinese virus. I probably would have postponed the sale. But you never know

Quote from: sfm5s081 on April 30, 2020, 12:41:25 PM
About 1 hour left! Seller specifically states "NO IN PERSON INSPECTIONS" due to Chinese virus. I probably would have postponed the sale. But you never know

There were workarounds for that if he was motivated IMO. The motivation level might not be full speed ahead.

George Schalk

The Shelby SOLD!!!  Auction just ended and sold for $142,000 + $5,000 auction fee.  It appeared to be a nice car.

Shelby_r_b

Nothing beats a classic!