Author Topic: BaT Auction - 1967 GT500 #2859  (Read 9668 times)

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: BaT Auction - 1967 GT500 #2859
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2020, 04:12:23 PM »
Nightmist...............4-speed.

Two big pluses for a lot of buyers. Inboards and brake ducts might have brought more. Parchment even more.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2020, 05:46:06 PM »
Congrads to seller and buyer - hopefully both are happy with the outcome and their choices.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

QuickSilverShelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2020, 10:18:56 PM »
Congrads to seller and buyer - hopefully both are happy with the outcome and their choices.
I should think both the buyer and seller should be happy.  Bring a trailer is an excellent example of an auction house where people should sell and buy their cars.  Seller's fees are next to nothing and buyers fees are maxed out at $5,000.  Why would you want to risk BJ or Mecum or any of the other gong shows and wind up paying 10% on each end.

I think Bring a Trailer is not only the "future", but it's here now!  Unless your a big time gambler that is.

If you're not going to sell your car privately, then Bring a Trailer is the only way.  Hell ya!

QSS

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

SBCARGUY

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2020, 11:12:08 PM »
Well... Nothing against Bring a Trailer, but I have "Sold Cars at Every Major Live Auction" and have ALWAYS been paid.

I recently "sold" a car on Bring a Trailer and wasn't paid (buyer did not perform and had more excuses than Carter had pills!) and BAT did nothing to

help me get paid... Zero.. I still have the car and they collected the $4,800 (buyers premium) plus my $99 listing fee.

So... Don't believe every thing you read as a sale is not a sale unless the deal goes through.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 11:14:40 PM by SBCARGUY »

6972boss

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2020, 12:08:03 AM »
I have to agree. I did not want to list my SSP on eBay or Craigslist because the crap you have to wade through.  So a friend suggested BaT. I gave it a go and what a mess. They refused to post some of the photos i submitted and changed my description of MY car, omitting important details. When the car reached its new owner he unloaded on me. I reached out to BaT and they were unsympathetic. They had no issue taking my money though. Took 3 months to get the buyer to pay. One excuse after another why he couldn't pay. BaT was no help....ZERO help! I will find another venue to sell future cars next time. Not impressed!!

6972boss

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2020, 12:13:54 AM »
Oh, almost forgot. Strong money for this 67. Considering the current market and many issues of correctness. Good luck to the new owner! Enjoy!

QuickSilverShelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2020, 09:39:04 AM »
Well... Nothing against Bring a Trailer, but I have "Sold Cars at Every Major Live Auction" and have ALWAYS been paid.

I recently "sold" a car on Bring a Trailer and wasn't paid (buyer did not perform and had more excuses than Carter had pills!) and BAT did nothing to

help me get paid... Zero.. I still have the car and they collected the $4,800 (buyers premium) plus my $99 listing fee.

So... Don't believe every thing you read as a sale is not a sale unless the deal goes through.
Very valid points you have.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2020, 11:19:40 AM »

QSS

BaT often relists those cars and most of the time, the sell for the same amount or more.

Having said that, IMO, BaT should either do that (immediately, while it's fresh in everybody's minds) or offer to give the stood-up seller all, (or at least most) of the fee they collect and do not return.

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2020, 12:36:07 PM »

QSS

BaT often relists those cars and most of the time, the sell for the same amount or more.

Having said that, IMO, BaT should either do that (immediately, while it's fresh in everybody's minds) or offer to give the stood-up seller all, (or at least most) of the fee they collect and do not return.

If BaT doesn't institute such a policy as you have outlined, the big money cars/sellers will go away and BaT will be playing in a small pond.  They can't force someone to pay, but the seller should get the benefit of any guarantee monies they collect when a buyer backs out.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2020, 01:19:40 PM »
I’ve never used BaT.  However, I have both bought and sold at a major auction before. Part of the auction house value is the publicity, specifically when it comes to the pool of real buyers.

Side note: the 10% sellers fee isn’t set in stone. Some auction houses will negotiate with the seller to get the reserve off; which can result in a fee much less than 10%.
Nothing beats a classic!

SBCARGUY

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2020, 04:21:22 PM »
Agreed and they did nothing but keep all the money and my listing fee...

QSS

SBCARGUY

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2020, 04:22:58 PM »
In my case... It was in their best interest for the buyer not to pay and they got to keep all the "buyers premium" I am sure many will understand exactly what I am saying.  8)

QSS

If BaT doesn't institute such a policy as you have outlined, the big money cars/sellers will go away and BaT will be playing in a small pond.  They can't force someone to pay, but the seller should get the benefit of any guarantee monies they collect when a buyer backs out.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2020, 10:51:30 PM »

You would think they would at least do a split of buyers premium with the seller given no other money was collected.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

sfm5s081

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2020, 12:22:14 AM »
I too sold a high dollar car on BAT and got nothing from the buyer. So they reposted it for free after I took new picts, videos, etc. then it was bid to 10% less and all the comments pointed to something was wrong and that’s why the seller didn’t buy it. Then it’s always online with 2 no sales and all the internet detectives are hard at work. It was difficult to sell as the first thing that comes up
When you google the vin is BAT. Go figure

ITHERTZ

• View Profile
    • Custom Show Boards
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2020, 12:12:40 PM »
I too sold a high dollar car on BAT and got nothing from the buyer. So they reposted it for free after I took new picts, videos, etc. then it was bid to 10% less and all the comments pointed to something was wrong and that’s why the seller didn’t buy it. Then it’s always online with 2 no sales and all the internet detectives are hard at work. It was difficult to sell as the first thing that comes up
When you google the vin is BAT. Go figure

That's a legitimate gripe right there!  I know I'm suspicious of relisted cars, but I also know that buyers like to play games at the expense of the seller.  I sold one car on BaT and when the buyer won the auction, he started discussions on how to arrange an inspection to see if he wants to buy the car.  As if he thought he won the right of first refusal with his winning bid!  I got BaT involved right away and we put pressure on the buyer to complete the transaction on the car and got it done.  I was worried there for a while.  I think I escaped a bad outcome.

BaT should not be allowed to keep their collected bidders fees on transactions that aren't completed.  This should go (in part) to the seller and BaT should be doing a better job of protecting sellers and not just their own interests.  I still think it's a great place to sell and buy cars, though.  Especially now during COVID.  They are going to take a HUGE chunk from the big guys and the big guys are going to lose a lot of clients to BaT for the long haul after this all clears up.