News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Fuel line clamps at fuel pump

Started by kram350, March 08, 2018, 09:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kram350

The fuel line clamps on the rubber line from the hard line to the fuel pump are the permanent crimp type? Was the crimp located in a particular orientation; down, up, toward the front, angled forward, etc... ? Were the clamps the non-dimpled type, like the ones at the carb filter? Numbers in the assembly parts book call for a 8287. Any info appreciated.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: kram350 on March 08, 2018, 09:00:57 PM
The fuel line clamps on the rubber line from the hard line to the fuel pump are the permanent crimp type? Was the crimp located in a particular orientation; down, up, toward the front, angled forward, etc... ? Were the clamps the non-dimpled type, like the ones at the carb filter? Numbers in the assembly parts book call for a 8287. Any info appreciated.
They are the permanent crimp type just like at the fuel sender. Typically looks like they were crimped from above most likely leaning over the apron after the engine was installed. The rest is over thinking the operation IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Based on what I'm seeing in period pictures from around 66 at San Jose the hose was installed to the fuel pump before the engine was installed and the clamps were tilted forward and upward. If this was the same in 66 then the second clamp was installed once the engine was installed and since the frame and strut rod bracket would have gotten in the way of a worker attaching it from below in the pit then it had to be installed from the top. So the one at the inner fender was likely facing upward with possibly a tilt depending on if the worker was left or right handed.

Guess I could go through a few thousand pictures to gather more info or possibilities but so few hoses lasted 20 or plus and many have been replaced which should produce a fair number of cars that should not be used in such a survey. 

Car must be just about perfect if your worrying about this detail :)   Meant in a nice way
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

kram350

Thanks all for the input. Over thinking is really a relative term when trying to do the best one can in light of the all the discussion concerning concours correct. Hard to attach, paint, plate or purchase parts without asking, "is this right"? As to perfect, I doubt what I am doing would be viewed as such! So at least I can try to get the small easy stuff right. Maybe I'm obsessed? Little things can and do make a difference. 

Bob Gaines

Quote from: kram350 on March 08, 2018, 11:20:19 PM
Thanks all for the input. Over thinking is really a relative term when trying to do the best one can in light of the all the discussion concerning concours correct. Hard to attach, paint, plate or purchase parts without asking, "is this right"? As to perfect, I doubt what I am doing would be viewed as such! So at least I can try to get the small easy stuff right. Maybe I'm obsessed? Little things can and do make a difference.
Just don't miss or ignore the more visible or highly visible items and details on the car and instead of fixating on a small detail like the position of the fuel clamp that ether will not get noticed or irrelevant . We see this same story all of the time where for example someone may fixate on a paint identification marking of a part but miss the fact that the part being marked with the special paint daub is itself incorrect. Missing the bigger picture in that case . FYI make sure the fuel clamps you use do not have a strength dimple in them . They should be flat across the top that gets crimped. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby