Author Topic: British and European Market Right Hand Drive Cobra question.  (Read 2947 times)

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
British and European Market Right Hand Drive Cobra question.
« on: January 20, 2018, 01:17:04 PM »
If you have an original COB/COX60xx  'AC Cobra' (leaf spring suspension chassis) or COB/COX61xx '289 Sports' (coil spring suspension chassis) car that retains its original rack and pinion steering assembly and you don't mind sharing information, what is the assembly number stamped into one of the aluminum rack housing assemble end castings?

If you don't want to reply in the forum but are agreeable to sharing, please e-mail me or send a private message.

Thanks.
Dan
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Cobra Ned

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
Re: British and European Market Right Hand Drive Cobra question.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 11:03:21 AM »
Dan, I've got 3073 stamped on the collar just inboard of the steering box on my COX car. The corresponding collar on the right is obscured and I can't get close enough to read it.

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
Re: British and European Market Right Hand Drive Cobra question.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 11:15:19 AM »
Dan, I've got 3073 stamped on the collar just inboard of the steering box on my COX car. The corresponding collar on the right is obscured and I can't get close enough to read it.

Thanks Ned. That is the main part of the LH Drive assembly number stamped on the unit. There should be an assembly date close by. The number in the AC Cars and Ford/Shelby Bill Of Material is one character longer than that for some reason. Cam Gears Ltd provided the rack and pinion units, intermediate shaft assemblies, and the steering column assembly less switches (AC Cars added switch gear).  The hole in may database is the model number of the RH Drive assembly.

I do collect assembly dates of any original production rack I come across.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.