Author Topic: 1969 oem style wheel options  (Read 3455 times)

Tired Sheep

• View Profile
1969 oem style wheel options
« on: April 29, 2020, 10:02:52 AM »
What are the options for 69 wheels?

I know about Legendary (china) and the offering from Coker (USA)

Are there others?

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
Re: 1969 oem style wheel options
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 11:34:30 AM »
There is also Paradise Wheels at this link.   http://paradisewheels.biz/power/wheels/

How do the 69 Shelby rims from Coker (Specialty Wheels) compare against the Paradise wheels?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 11:59:27 AM »
Coker has a steel lug put into the center aluminum casting and that lug is welded to the steel rim.  I am not sure if Paradise does the welding or if he uses cap screws to hold the center to the rim like he does when he restores originals. If he does the cap screw then that would be the one to get. You can do creative camouflage to make the capscrew heads look more like original rivets  ;) .  Or so I'm told  ::)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

DaveB330

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 04:25:11 PM »
I'm glad this topic came up again. I am trying to decide if I send my 4 original, riveted wheels to Paradise where, from all I have read, he saves the center piece and attaches same to a new DOT-approved outer rim, via cap screws instead of rivets.  The other option seems to be to go with his USA-made repro's, which I have heard are very good, or the Coker/Specialty wheels [also USA made?].  To make it even more complex, I have heard that sometimes the original centers might not even be useable [out-of-true and not repairable?].  So then maybe you went and theoretically 'destroyed' four 36,000 mile [with rusty outers] original wheels for naught.  I think my orig's are not super-bad, no impact damage to them, just the outer rim rust from sitting 10+ years. So I am leaning toward Paradise repro's and saving back the originals to stay with the car, but thought I'd throw this out there for the experts to offer opinions. As backstory, I would like to drive the car sometimes and go to local events/shows. Thanks...         
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 04:30:39 PM by DaveB330 »

Mark500

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 05:48:58 PM »
I installed repops..on my GT500.. have two sets of originals ..  Works for me.   I have one of those original sets on my faster 408C cougar convertible.. I tear the shit out of that car and the wheels have not flown off yet.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 07:56:03 PM »
I'm glad this topic came up again. I am trying to decide if I send my 4 original, riveted wheels to Paradise where, from all I have read, he saves the center piece and attaches same to a new DOT-approved outer rim, via cap screws instead of rivets.  The other option seems to be to go with his USA-made repro's, which I have heard are very good, or the Coker/Specialty wheels [also USA made?].  To make it even more complex, I have heard that sometimes the original centers might not even be useable [out-of-true and not repairable?].  So then maybe you went and theoretically 'destroyed' four 36,000 mile [with rusty outers] original wheels for naught.  I think my orig's are not super-bad, no impact damage to them, just the outer rim rust from sitting 10+ years. So I am leaning toward Paradise repro's and saving back the originals to stay with the car, but thought I'd throw this out there for the experts to offer opinions. As backstory, I would like to drive the car sometimes and go to local events/shows. Thanks...         
I think the paradise repros will cost the same as having the originals restored. Given the restored wheels will not look completely genuine after restoration anyway you may want to buy the repros and keep the original set with the car. If you decide to have them restored which in a sliding scale is better then the welded center repro ones ,Craig's repro centers are identical to the genuine and in the event the original are not usable they can be substituted . I often wonder if the centers are not automatically substituted regardless. I like the capscrew over the welded center. But that is just me. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 09:07:57 PM »
I also just put my originals on the shelf and bought repros for my car. Like Bob said the cost is the about the same and if originals are restored they look like the repros anyway, so why do it?   :)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 09:29:39 PM »
I spoke to Craig at Paradise Wheels a few weeks ago.  He said the center sections are cast at Buddy Bar. 

markl350

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 01:24:01 PM »
I just got my new wheels from Paradise. I’m very impressed with the quality and service. After speaking with Craig who was very helpful I decided not to attempt getting them restored due to the corrosion between the center section and rim. Better yet I got them on the East Coast in just a couple of weeks.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 10:24:03 AM »
Craig restored 2 sets for me in early 1990. They were both put back on 1970 Shelbys from which they came from. The set on my vert still look good after 30 years. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 01:44:48 PM »
I put 18” Halibrands on my GT350 w modern MICHELINs & BAER brakes.  I love the look.
I suppose to each their own or is your intent to Troll with your post? You have been quite busy posting recently. ::) 

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2020, 08:40:20 PM »
Just showing options.

I’m new I post a lot when I can’t race
OK so ether a admitted CAR guy who races and has a lot of high profile cars is so clueless that he doesn't know what "OEM" in the subject line means (FYI -Original Equipment Manufactuer ) OR you are trying to be a internet Troll and malisiously provoke some kind argument on purpose by posting a picture of your clearly non OEM polar opposite after market wheels on purpose. Which is it?

Forum Guide

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2020, 09:46:31 PM »
I’m new I post a lot when I can’t race

Things must be slow at the old oval.

Try and let detailed tech discussions stay on topic, especially those covering the finer points. Save the diversions for other non-tech topics

Thanks....

HUBBELL RACING

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 11:20:13 PM »
Ok, sorry. Just excited to show off my new wheels.  Road courses just opening up. It’s been too long. :'(