Author Topic: Grammar ----  (Read 3490 times)

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Grammar ----
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 12:58:53 AM »
Made me laugh. Thanks for posting.

Steve

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 02:09:20 AM »
Terrific management style(until the end)...Bet turnovers a bitch though.....Thanks for sharing  which,after all ,IS caring. ;D

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 09:53:24 AM »
Fantastic autocratic style,  he held a great session and in the end everyone agreed with him. Love it and thanks for posting.

Everyone, proceed and have a nice day !

Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

cj750

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 12:49:59 AM »
I have no problem with the death penalty for the folks who use "sell" for "sale" and vice-versa in their Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace posts.
Every post I make comes with an implied request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 01:29:13 AM »
Well,I have a car for sail,butI am not really sure if I want to cell it...... :o

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 07:35:07 AM »
Grammar Nazis! No Soup For You!

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 11:17:41 AM »
   That's why I don't own guns of any kind.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

cj750

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 01:56:35 PM »
Well,I have a car for sail,butI am not really sure if I want to cell it...... :o

That at least sounds right when you read it. It's the "Good used truck for sell." and "Make an offer. Must sale quick." ads that drive me nuts.
Every post I make comes with an implied request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 03:51:24 PM »
   That's why I don't own guns of any kind.
.   Don’t wanna “tip your hand”now.Especially in these unstable times

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2020, 07:53:13 AM »
I own about 100 personally. They date from 1750 to current.

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2020, 09:06:54 AM »

That at least sounds right when you read it. It's the "Good used truck for sell." and "Make an offer. Must sale quick." ads that drive me nuts.

LOL, but I am sure people that do not know grammar, sure can spell "eBay" "Mecum" or "Barrett-Jackson" very well.....or "good"! I bet most SAAC peeps know those words when overpricing their cars on todays market......

"Well I just saw one on eBay, Mecum, BJ, etc, for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, mine must be worth that." NO, you saw some idiot that has his car in "re-listville" hoping for some other idiot with more money than brains.
RARE  Signature Delete

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2020, 10:45:55 AM »

LOL, but I am sure people that do not know grammar, sure can spell "eBay" "Mecum" or "Barrett-Jackson" very well.....or "good"! I bet most SAAC peeps know those words when overpricing their cars on todays market......

"Well I just saw one on eBay, Mecum, BJ, etc, for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, mine must be worth that." NO, you saw some idiot that has his car in "re-listville" hoping for some other idiot with more money than brains.
.     That’s why it’s called an “asking price”....You can “ask” anything you want for any item.Doesnt mean someone will pay it.As they say though”there is a seat for every ass”,so maybe..Free market capitalism at its best...BTW Caveat Emptor....always.. ;D

Bill Collins

• '65 GT350 006 owner since 1971
    • View Profile
Grammar ----
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2020, 11:37:51 AM »
OK - let me enter my pet grammar peeve - the proper application of "Less" vs. "Fewer".

"Less" is used when referring to a non countable item - e.g. "The restoration was less than adequate"
"Fewer" is used when referring to a countable item - e.g. "There are fewer than ten of these left in the world".

So statements in ads such as "There were less then fifty built" are cringeworthy. But I routinely see this error, including in newspaper and other periodical articles. And please don't ask "What's a newspaper or a periodical?".

And I must give credit to the elementary school nuns who drilled this into me between whackings with a pointer or ruler. For an historical reference on this, view the scene from the Blues Brothers film where Jake and Elwood visit the Penguin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDcP9uSMra4

Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2020, 01:17:53 PM »
    Bill,
       The problem may be rooted in Mathematics where the symbols< and> mean Less than and Greater than. Since math is all about numbers , that could cause some confusion.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.