Author Topic: did the KR come with rear sway bars?  (Read 1766 times)

proford1

• View Profile
did the KR come with rear sway bars?
« on: May 02, 2020, 07:14:50 PM »
My car had one on it when i took it apart. but looking for photos  of other cars i dont see any?
thanks in advance
Mike

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: did the KR come with rear sway bars?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 07:28:33 PM »
My car had one on it when i took it apart. but looking for photos  of other cars i dont see any?
thanks in advance
Mike
Not put on at the factory. It must be past owner addition.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Cobrask8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 07:34:30 PM »
Probably either a BOSS 302 bar, or maybe an ADDCO bar?

Did it run next to the gas tank, or on the rear axle like the Boss 429?

proford1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 08:03:29 PM »
i can't remember thats why i started looking for install pictures.

Cobrask8

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 08:28:39 PM »
I put an ADDCO on my 68. Two clamps on the frame behind the rear & shocks, mounted on the leafs just in front of the axle.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 08:27:03 AM »
If you are looking for advice, I'd advise, do not run a '67 or 68 Shelby with a rear anti-sway bar. Simply put they do not work.

You will induce severe understeer with the car with the rear bar. The bigger the bar, the worse it gets.

Maybe it is simply that the lowered front-a arms don't work with the rear bar? I'm not sure but I can tell you that I am 1,000% sure, it is a severe mistake to run one.

Don't ask me why they were included on '69  '70 Boss 302's. I don't have a clue.

Show me one R model that ran with them. I don't think so.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 09:19:49 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 09:11:41 AM »
69 boss 302 didn't have rear sway bar but 69 boss 429 was the first car to use a unique under axle rear sway bar system then in 70 71 all bosses and 428 cj 351 c  4 bbl mustangs and cougars used the above axle rear sway bar system in 2 diameters depending on engine size.   Back in mid 80s I went to a Shelby meet that had an autocross contest and I had never entered one before so after a few beers and just for the fun of it I decided to enter the contest with my 69 boss 429 and I won. I told people the only reason I had won (besides skillfull driving of course) was the fact that a 69 boss 429 had lowered suspension and had that unique under axle rear sway bar system.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 09:17:11 AM »
69 boss 302 didn't have rear sway bar but 69 boss 429 was the first car to use a unique under axle rear sway bar system then in 70 71 all bosses and 428 cj 351 c  4 bbl mustangs and cougars used the above axle rear sway bar system in 2 diameters depending on engine size.   Back in mid 80s I went to a Shelby meet that had an autocross contest and I had never entered one before so after a few beers and just for the fun of it I decided to enter the contest with my 69 boss 429 and I won. I told people the only reason I had won (besides skillfull driving of course) was the fact that a 69 boss 429 had lowered suspension and had that unique under axle rear sway bar system.

I stand by my statements.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

proford1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 09:50:59 AM »
yea this one would have been put on in the 70s or early 80's  so it may be from a boss 302 or something ill post pictures later. i definitely wont be putting it back on.