News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Goodyear Eagle ST tire

Started by Shelbybo1, May 02, 2020, 11:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelbybo1

All,
Looking for recommendations to replace the 1992 Goodyear Eagle ST tires on my '66 Hertz car (Concourse restored 'drivers class'). The car currently has 14 inch 10 spoke aluminium wheels. Prefer tires with raised white lettering.

Thanks

Dan353

The only tires I found with RWL are B.F.Goodrich or Cooper cobras

69mach351w

Don't think the goodyear polyglas was offered in 1966.  Would look sort of out of place even for a "driver".

I'd go with the BF Goodrich myself as I have seen on tons of classic Mustangs that are drivers.  As I have them on both my 67 coupe and my 69 Mach 1.  JMO

67 GT350

I would think one would rather a Goodyear on their car even though it might not be 100% correct, as I don't remember BF Goodrich tires ever came on a Ford. I like BF Goodrich tires, they are on my FJ Cruiser, my wife's Honda CR-V and my Volvo C30 (anyone know that that car is?), I would put them on my Shelby also, but if I can get a nice Goodyear, that's what I would be getting.
RARE  Signature Delete

69mach351w

Quote from: 67 GT350 on May 03, 2020, 07:48:44 PM
I would think one would rather a Goodyear on their car even though it might not be 100% correct, as I don't remember BF Goodrich tires ever came on a Ford. I like BF Goodrich tires, they are on my FJ Cruiser, my wife's Honda CR-V and my Volvo C30 (anyone know that that car is?), I would put them on my Shelby also, but if I can get a nice Goodyear, that's what I would be getting.
They didn't in the 60's.  They're just a very popular choice for a "Driver".

Bob Gaines

If I ended up buying BF Goodrich tires for what ever reason I would black out the side walls. Any other white letter advertisement (that is what you are doing for them) besides Goodyear just doesn't seem right on a 60's Shelby. At least that is my opinion .Others may have different.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1640

There is a large muscle car collector in Tacoma WA that has cars with the BF Goodrich tires, but the raised white letters have been shaved off.  At a glance they will fool you, but the tread pattern gave them away.  They did look good.  IIRC, I was told there is a company that will shave off the raised white letter and even make them into another brand.  Lets see if any of the WASAAC member remember this and advise of the company.  I expect it is not cheap and will make your reconsider spending the money to shave off letters.

Best of luck

Cory

computerworks

Quote from: 67 GT350 on May 03, 2020, 08:15:45 AM
https://www.lucasclassictires.com/FR70-14-Goodyear-Polyglas-RWL-Radial-FR7014RL.htm

Will an FR70 fit well on a 66 car? I am also looking for recommendations for new tires on a 1966 GT350H driver.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6s1640 on May 03, 2020, 10:17:46 PM
There is a large muscle car collector in Tacoma WA that has cars with the BF Goodrich tires, but the raised white letters have been shaved off.  At a glance they will fool you, but the tread pattern gave them away.  They did look good.  IIRC, I was told there is a company that will shave off the raised white letter and even make them into another brand.  Lets see if any of the WASAAC member remember this and advise of the company.  I expect it is not cheap and will make your reconsider spending the money to shave off letters.

Best of luck

Cory
One of the forum members here does the shaving and applying Goodyear trademark lettering. You can always use a can of Krylon like I have done and black out the white letters. I remember about 30 years ago at a SOA convention I did that to some F60 15 sized tires leaving only the Goodyear so that they looked more like the unavailable at the time no size tires. It had ole Special Ed guessing for a short time. He was grumbling because it took him a minute to figure out what I had done. It brings a smile to my face just thinking about it.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TJinSA

Quote from: computerworks on May 03, 2020, 10:35:04 PM
Quote from: 67 GT350 on May 03, 2020, 08:15:45 AM
https://www.lucasclassictires.com/FR70-14-Goodyear-Polyglas-RWL-Radial-FR7014RL.htm

Will an FR70 fit well on a 66 car? I am also looking for recommendations for new tires on a 1966 GT350H driver.

It should fit without issue, easily. What's more important to you is an important issue. Radials will drive nicer than bias. Period look?; definately bias, the two are easily distinguished. What came on Shelbys in the period?; Goodyear. For me. I don't plan on driving cross-country; vintage look, but not concours, i.e. a realistic set of rubber it wold have worn. Resulting in a 69-70ish tire:

Tom Kubler
6S296

cj750

Not the correct tire for a '66 Shelby, but still the most vintage appearing RWL radial I'm aware of: https://www.cokertire.com/tires/brands/firestone-tires/firestone-wide-oval-rwl-fr70-14.html
Every post I make comes with an implied request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

Quote from: 6s1640 on May 03, 2020, 10:17:46 PM

Best of luck

Cory

Brian McKay's all-Ford collection?

67 GT350

Quote from: cj750 on May 04, 2020, 01:01:13 AM
Not the correct tire for a '66 Shelby, but still the most vintage appearing RWL radial I'm aware of: https://www.cokertire.com/tires/brands/firestone-tires/firestone-wide-oval-rwl-fr70-14.html

I had a set on my 67 GT fastback, the car drove fantastic and they lookd great again! I would buy a set of Goodyears if they did that trick.

I cannot believe people shave off lettering, why not just buy a tire that is already blackball?
RARE  Signature Delete

JD

Quote from: 67 GT350 on May 04, 2020, 08:21:49 AM
...why not just buy a tire that is already blackwall?

I bought Goodyear radials for the car I had and painted the GOODYEAR molded into the sidewalls with white paint.  The letters had a raised edge so I just filled-in the middles, it takes a little time but ... I just used white latex from the art and crafts store (it was in tube) and a small brush, a rag and some water for any that gets where you don't want it, wipes off easy while it's still wet. The paint did not flake or chip off.  There is high-quality white tire paint but it is rather expensive and you need to buy a quart.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0