News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Goodyear Eagle ST tire

Started by Shelbybo1, May 02, 2020, 11:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67 GT350 on May 04, 2020, 08:21:49 AM
Quote from: cj750 on May 04, 2020, 01:01:13 AM
Not the correct tire for a '66 Shelby, but still the most vintage appearing RWL radial I'm aware of: https://www.cokertire.com/tires/brands/firestone-tires/firestone-wide-oval-rwl-fr70-14.html

I had a set on my 67 GT fastback, the car drove fantastic and they lookd great again! I would buy a set of Goodyears if they did that trick.

I cannot believe people shave off lettering, why not just buy a tire that is already blackball?
people shave off lettering so that there is a flat surface to apply the vintage lettering etc. A Goodyear Wingfoot does not look as good when glued to the edge of a letter underneath compared to when it is glued to a flat surface. Shaving offers that advantage. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1640

Quote from: 2112 on May 04, 2020, 02:15:49 AM
Quote from: 6s1640 on May 03, 2020, 10:17:46 PM
There is a large muscle car collector in Tacoma WA that has cars with the BF Goodrich tires, but the raised white letters have been shaved off.  At a glance they will fool you, but the tread pattern gave them away.  They did look good.  IIRC, I was told there is a company that will shave off the raised white letter and even make them into another brand.  Lets see if any of the WASAAC member remember this and advise of the company.  I expect it is not cheap and will make your reconsider spending the money to shave off letters.

Best of luck

Cory

Brian McKay's all-Ford collection?

Very close.  It is Gary McKay.  Good job.

Thanks

Cory

Quote from: 6s1640 on May 04, 2020, 10:49:44 AM
Quote from: 2112 on May 04, 2020, 02:15:49 AM
Quote from: 6s1640 on May 03, 2020, 10:17:46 PM
There is a large muscle car collector in Tacoma WA that has cars with the BF Goodrich tires, but the raised white letters have been shaved off.  At a glance they will fool you, but the tread pattern gave them away.  They did look good.  IIRC, I was told there is a company that will shave off the raised white letter and even make them into another brand.  Lets see if any of the WASAAC member remember this and advise of the company.  I expect it is not cheap and will make your reconsider spending the money to shave off letters.

Best of luck

Cory

Brian McKay's all-Ford collection?

Very close.  It is Gary McKay.  Good job.

Thanks

Cory

My tour was many moons ago. He still had the raised BFG lettering on everything at that time.

Everytime I am going thru town, I drive by his shop to peek inside. Last time I went by, the doors were open and there was a Pristine Black B9 sitting there. Beautiful as is everything he had.

Now that closed his business down, and the doors are shut,  I don't get to see the hardware inside.

Shelbybo1

This particular car is rarely driven. LT 500 miles a year.
However, I would like a more dependable tire than what is currently on the car when I do take the car out.
Thanks!

FL SAAC

We have Goodrich and Firestone

Here are the Goodrich. Probably will not put these back on as this is our second set and the white letters turn brown. No matter how hard you try it what ever you use,  they will yellow and go brown

Quote from: Shelbybo1 on May 04, 2020, 11:09:43 PM
This particular car is rarely driven. LT 500 miles a year.
However, I would like a more dependable tire than what is currently on the car when I do take the car out.
Thanks!
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

The Firestones letters have always stayed white.

Both the Goodrich and Firestones ride and handle nice

Buy the Firestones

I have all UNGOLD cars

Are the Firestones still being made?

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 67 GT350 on May 03, 2020, 07:48:44 PMmy Volvo C30 (anyone know that that car is?),
Shopping for one now. Missed on a loaded red 40,000 mile R for $5,000 by 2 hours.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

Not sure as these where given to us a few years ago by a friend who runs a  shop

Quote from: 2112 on June 15, 2020, 04:13:50 PM
Are the Firestones still being made?

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

This is what I was talking about that the letters DO NOT remain white

Mentioned on the tire rack website at the very bottom

I have all UNGOLD cars

69mach351w

Lol, You know guys, it all comes down to personal preference.

I like the look of BFG's on my "Drivers".  And the other guy??  He likes Goodyear.....

The other guy??  He like Firestone.  This can go on and on.

See??   How hard was that ;D

Bob Gaines

Quote from: FL SAAC on June 15, 2020, 04:47:05 PM
This is what I was talking about that the letters DO NOT remain white

Mentioned on the tire rack website at the very bottom
This should not be a surprise to any muscle car enthusiast. Occasional scrubbing with a stiff plastic brush along with a good tire cleaner is necessary every so often with white letters on tires. When they get so yellowed that they can not be brought back to white with scrubbing or sanding you can use a touch up brush and paint them back white. There are special tire paint for this purpose or use regular krylon sprayed into a container to use with a brush. Some company's sell stencils so that you can spray paint letters on. Just a number of different strategies enthusiasts use to keep those letters white.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

In addition to Bob's suggestions, Bechley's bleach-white tire cleaner does and amazing job brightening up white letters, just use gloves.

69mach351w

Quote from: 2112 on June 15, 2020, 06:53:02 PM
In addition to Bob's suggestions, Bechley's bleach-white tire cleaner does and amazing job brightening up white letters, just use gloves.
+1, exactly what I use.